Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-11-2009, 23:10
Doors slowly closing

We listen to a lot of music in my class. We had a proper good ole dance to Beat It the other day.

We haven't done any sort of lyrical analysis of Manics songs in my class, as they are only 8 and it would be a bit beyond them, but we listened to FDTW in our music lesson last week, and they have requested to hear it again several times, they also now request The Horrors after we did a painting to Sea Within A Sea the other day, and Bat for Lashes. But there are also requests for John and Edward songs and Snow Patrol, but sadly the amp always seems to be on the blink at that point.
Old 14-11-2009, 07:45
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
But there are also requests for John and Edward songs and Snow Patrol
there's still some work to be done on them then
Old 14-11-2009, 08:14
Bored out of my mind

I'm glad the youngsters are getting such a great music training in their lessons! Wish they had done that when I was young!
I'd go for Autumnsong because it's a TUNE! Let Robeson Sing cos it's got quite a bit of history packed into it and erm, Small Black Flowers.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 14-11-2009, 15:28
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
I'm glad the youngsters are getting such a great music training in their lessons! Wish they had done that when I was young!
Yeah, all I got when I was a pupil was Lemon Tree over and over...
Old 13-12-2009, 15:44
Knowlede Is Power

Just to let you know that I eventually chose Autumnsong for my year 10 class. As they were learning the body/clothes vocab, I though the lyrics would be great for a “fill in the gaps ex”. I made a nice handout with the lyrics and this pic of Nicky as watermark
but the response was a little disappointing at first. All their reaction was: “the music is nice, but why does the singer shout that much?”. Another student said but the lyricist shouldn’t have repeated the same lines over and over… After I made sure they understood what the song was about, they said it was nice of them, as 40-year-old men, to write a song about that subject. I eventually even managed to have them singalong! It was nice to see 23 kids singing a Manics song. The lesson ended with a visit from the headteacher who was wondering what that noise was...
Old 13-12-2009, 15:57
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaira View Post
Just to let you know that I eventually chose Autumnsong for my year 10 class. As they were learning the body/clothes vocab, I though the lyrics would be great for a “fill in the gaps ex”. I made a nice handout with the lyrics and this pic of Nicky as watermark
but the response was a little disappointing at first. All their reaction was: “the music is nice, but why does the singer shout that much?”. Another student said but the lyricist shouldn’t have repeated the same lines over and over… After I made sure they understood what the song was about, they said it was nice of them, as 40-year-old men, to write a song about that subject. I eventually even managed to have them singalong! It was nice to see 23 kids singing a Manics song. The lesson ended with a visit from the headteacher who was wondering what that noise was...
Sounds like a great lesson, I wanna join your class now.
Old 13-12-2009, 17:45
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic_Paul View Post
I think Let Robeson Sing would be a fine choice too!
Yea if you want to bore their tits off.....why not anything off everything must go? Most of the songs have a good depth and subject matter and they aren't offensive or dull. Design For Life would be great, you could talk about class, politics and the miners strike, also make some interesting points about Wales and nationalism.

'I've kissed mermaids and rode the El Nino'

"Basically," says Nick, "the song Little Baby Nothing is about women's oppression, so we start with a little girl getting her head jumped on by a horrible old man and end with a woman committing suicide by shooting herself between the legs, having gained her revenge in the meantime by killing all the men." Steven Wells RIP
Old 13-12-2009, 17:52
Winterlover

She Is Suffering would be great, she = desire

A Design For Life

You Stole The Sun From My Heart

Doors Closing Slowly

Just a Kid

Donkeys
Old 13-12-2009, 17:53
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny View Post
Sounds like a great lesson, I wanna join your class now.
Thanks
Old 13-12-2009, 17:54
Bored of being bored

I hope the pupils had fun and learned something. Judging from my experience there are too many boring English teachers in Switzerland - glad to see there is an exception
Old 13-12-2009, 17:56
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
why not anything off everything must go? Most of the songs have a good depth and subject matter and they aren't offensive or dull. Design For Life would be great, you could talk about class, politics and the miners strike, also make some interesting points about Wales and nationalism.
I'm saving EMG songs for next year. They're too young now, they don't even understand the issues of their own country... Design for Life as a closure song for the last day of their year 11 would be great!
Old 13-12-2009, 19:19
Administrator

Am I the only one thinking there are better things to teach in class?
Old 14-12-2009, 09:52
Born to end

...so why so sad