Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-12-2014, 09:16
I am purity, they call me perverted

Thb set was amazing, never heard faster sound so good, nearly chocked to death on my chewing gum during Revol lol, but was I the only one to think Die in the sometime sounded a bit wrong? It was as if it was in another key?
21 years of Manics gigs and I finally see PCP live, thank you and good night.

Stay Beautiful.
Old 16-12-2014, 12:48
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by qster View Post
Thb set was amazing, never heard faster sound so good, nearly chocked to death on my chewing gum during Revol lol, but was I the only one to think Die in the sometime sounded a bit wrong? It was as if it was in another key?
21 years of Manics gigs and I finally see PCP live, thank you and good night.
Thought DITS sounded off in Glasgow. Think it might be up tuned for this tour especially if James's voice is troubling him. Plus the guitar part during the verse has been simplified.
Old 16-12-2014, 13:43
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Thought DITS sounded off in Glasgow. Think it might be up tuned for this tour especially if James's voice is troubling him. Plus the guitar part during the verse has been simplified.
I noticed that too. He was just playing less notes to my ear. I was actually hoping they would have Wayne playing back up during the HB set, but I do understand why he was not. It gave a better idea of the original sound of the HB tour 20 years ago... and it was very cool for us guitar players because you could easily hear which pedals James was using. Great night!
Old 16-12-2014, 13:51
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaitheanhorn View Post
This is the first thing my husband (not a big Manics fan at all) said to me after the Manchester gig and I agree. I think the sound was great without the other musicians and James is more than capable of creating a full sound without them. I mean no insult to the other guys btw, they do a great job
Agreed, they can do it as a three piece.... But, those songs were recorded with two guitars (at least), and I really think Wayne is an amazing addition to the band. I have been paying attention to him over the last few years and it has been great to hear his guitar gradually getting louder over time. It's now pretty much at the right level for a rhythm guitar. I know he is not an original member of the band, but I have genuinely come to value Wayne's presence in the live act. Some of those songs really need the backing, and the band is all the better for it. One must assume they agree as he has been with them for some years now. I'd like to see him promoted to a 'proper' member of the band, but I know that would not sit well with a majority of fans.
Old 16-12-2014, 14:33
Born to end

Having a rhythm guitarist gives the lead guitarist a lot of freedom.
Old 16-12-2014, 14:39
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehawkins View Post
Agreed, they can do it as a three piece.... But, those songs were recorded with two guitars (at least), and I really think Wayne is an amazing addition to the band. I have been paying attention to him over the last few years and it has been great to hear his guitar gradually getting louder over time. It's now pretty much at the right level for a rhythm guitar. I know he is not an original member of the band, but I have genuinely come to value Wayne's presence in the live act. Some of those songs really need the backing, and the band is all the better for it. One must assume they agree as he has been with them for some years now. I'd like to see him promoted to a 'proper' member of the band, but I know that would not sit well with a majority of fans.
I agree. Enough time has passed to promote.
Old 16-12-2014, 15:02
Born to end

I agree that promoting Wayne to official band member status would be good.

I know MSP is a unique situation, but other bands have replaced members and are still performing.

Another thing is it would take the pressure of Nicky and James have to do all the promo work. But saying that the media would probably only really want to speak to Nicky or James.
Old 16-12-2014, 15:03
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasual View Post
Having a rhythm guitarist gives the lead guitarist a lot of freedom.
Oh yes, it definitely does. But I don't think THB songs would have been any better with additional musicians playing. That set was the best I've heard the band in a long time

Of course there are songs which benefit from the 'fullness' of having the additional guitar and keyboards, such as ADFL etc.

Last edited by amaitheanhorn; 16-12-2014 at 15:06.
Old 16-12-2014, 15:05
Bored of being bored

I think they could do it now. Everyone knows Wayne is not replacing Richey in any way shape or form, and his being there has helped, especially now his role seems to be a bit more than anonymous strumming, and frees James up a bit more.
Old 16-12-2014, 15:09
Doors slowly closing

I don't see why Wayne should be a permanent member, unless he starts contributing to the songwriting or recording process (does he play on the albums? I've never checked). Otherwise he should stay as a live member, because er... that's what he is.
Old 16-12-2014, 15:16
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

The band will never replace Richey, period
Old 16-12-2014, 15:21
Freed from the century

I can't understand why anyone would want Wayne as a proper member of the band. There is a big difference between playing with a band and being 'in' the band.

Many bands have musicians touring with them to 'fill out' their live sound. This is often the same group of musicians tour after tour. These people become part of the touring band, but aren't band members. There is an important distinction there. A band is so much more than people who play together.

It is the same with session musicians. I know some bands who have used the same session musicians for most of their albums, but again these musicians don't become part of the band just because they are talented and have contributed to the band's music for years.

Wayne is a talented musician, but I definitely don't see him as a band member.
Old 16-12-2014, 19:03
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdavidj View Post
Personally, if I get to hear Divine Youth live, I'll be happy whether it's Nicky, Georgia, Nina or James singing.
I thought this before. But it was shit with Nicky.

Otherwise, thoroughly enjoyed the gig.
Old 16-12-2014, 19:09
Winterlover

Mausoleum, PCP, 1985 (alright, mainly as I'd never heard them before last night) were the highlights for me. Great gig. Just a shame I was caught with the moshers for some of it.
Old 16-12-2014, 19:13
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post
I don't see why Wayne should be a permanent member, unless he starts contributing to the songwriting or recording process (does he play on the albums? I've never checked). Otherwise he should stay as a live member, because er... that's what he is.
Agreed, he's a live musician who's basically told what to do by the band, he doesn't write the songs. Naysmith has been in the Manics camp longer and I don't think anyone would suggest he should be a part of the band either (and I know he is credited on some of their albums).