Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-01-2014, 22:06
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesic View Post
I don't really mind the Myers' book, and he is only doing the same thing that all those fiction writers do with medieval royals (ahem, yes Phillipa Gregory, I am talking to YOU)
This is true, although it's a lot easier to fact check basic info about the manics. Although Phillipa Gregory does seem to change facts that all other historians are agreed on and I find her equally frustrating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent View Post
Still haven't read the Ben Myers book. I wasn't so keen on that extract of it published on the NME website but that might just be a bad example. Is it actually as bad as some have made it out to be?
There were a few really basic things that he got wrong which I found frustrating because they were pretty simple to check. Although I suppose he may have known otherwise and just changed it to make the story flow better, which may be the point amnesic is making, but I just feel that if you're going to write a book about an actual, real life person, you should get the facts about them right. Otherwise, just make your own character and base it on them!

Camden Roundhouse 29/05/09 - Brixton Academy 22/01/11 - Hard Rock Cafe London 02/02/11 - O2 Arena 17/12/11 - BBC Radio 2 Festival in a Day 08/09/13 - Shepards Bush Empire 24/09/13 - Brighton Centre 09/04/14 - Brixton Academy 11/04/14 - Rough Trade East 08/07/2014 - Camden Roundhouse 17/12/14 - Cardiff Castle 05/06/15 - Grosse Freiheit 36 Hamburg 26/04/16 - Swansea Liberty Stadium 28/05/16 - Victorious Festival Portsmouth 27/08/16 - London Southbank Centre 19/06/18
Old 11-01-2014, 22:19
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Troll View Post
There were a few really basic things that he got wrong which I found frustrating because they were pretty simple to check. Although I suppose he may have known otherwise and just changed it to make the story flow better, which may be the point amnesic is making, but I just feel that if you're going to write a book about an actual, real life person, you should get the facts about them right. Otherwise, just make your own character and base it on them!
Ah I see. Hmmm, think I'd find that frustrating too. Well, if anyone's going to launch a project like that in the first place then I expect they'll look to check the full facts about everything. Either he slipped up in doing that, or it was his intention just to troll the hardcore fans from the start
Old 11-01-2014, 22:27
Doors slowly closing

I don't know about you lot, but I've learned more from Born a Girl regarding early Manics than from any other source.
Old 11-01-2014, 22:32
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Ah I see. Hmmm, think I'd find that frustrating too. Well, if anyone's going to launch a project like that in the first place then I expect they'll look to check the full facts about everything. Either he slipped up in doing that, or it was his intention just to troll the hardcore fans from the start
I looked back at my posts in the thread about it from when I was reading it (because it was 2 years ago now) and other things I seemed to take issue with were a description given about Richey having a poo which I felt was unnecessary and the fact that he didn't really write the other manics very well. They were very one dimensional and weren't written as though they were Richey's best friends at all, just acquaintances.

Camden Roundhouse 29/05/09 - Brixton Academy 22/01/11 - Hard Rock Cafe London 02/02/11 - O2 Arena 17/12/11 - BBC Radio 2 Festival in a Day 08/09/13 - Shepards Bush Empire 24/09/13 - Brighton Centre 09/04/14 - Brixton Academy 11/04/14 - Rough Trade East 08/07/2014 - Camden Roundhouse 17/12/14 - Cardiff Castle 05/06/15 - Grosse Freiheit 36 Hamburg 26/04/16 - Swansea Liberty Stadium 28/05/16 - Victorious Festival Portsmouth 27/08/16 - London Southbank Centre 19/06/18
Old 11-01-2014, 22:59
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Troll View Post
Was he backstage at the O2? I know at some point, either just before it started or during the interval, he was standing in the audience near me and someone took me over to say hello to him.
Yes. I ended up bizarrely sat next to Price at a meal above a well known Irish pub chain the following day! So got this information straight from the proverbial horse's mouth.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 11-01-2014, 23:37
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-groovey-morning-fine View Post
Rip It Up And Start Again by Simon Reynolds is a brilliant book about all the post punk bands, totally exhaustive and intelligent without being too dry.

I read NME regularly, but all the journos do blur into one. There don't seem to be many writers with distinctive styles.

Yessss. Rip It Up is fantastic.

NME used to be good, but it's turned the way of Melody Maker where it's more Smash Hits.
Old 11-01-2014, 23:49
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I It's worth remembering that unlike many authors he was often actually there, and from very early on: down the front in 1991, down the Catacombs with them in '94, backstage at the o2 in 2011.
He was actually there as someone who was interviewing them at the time. The Boardwalk gig wasn't even that early on. I don't know if any other members here were living in London at the start of the 90s, but some of us were making the effort to go to their gigs before he ever did. He was pretty much bandwagon jumping and thinking he was in with them because he's Welsh.

He gets an aftershow sticker when he goes to their gigs and not an Access All Areas but that's probably out of courtesy. I get the impression that the band tolerate him more than actually like him.

I'd be more interested in what Mitch Ikeda has to say about his professional friendship with the band than some starstruck sad little man who uses his connection with the band to make friends.

Last edited by handbag; 11-01-2014 at 23:56.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:37
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbag View Post
I get the impression that the band tolerate him more than actually like him.
Yes, me too.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:27
Knowlede Is Power

They've mellowed a bit, but my general impression is that the Manics don't actually "like" very many people and simply tolerate them. I assume their inner circle is very select. However, I think that many of the brats in music and film could probably learn something from them in this regard. Wasn't Sinead O'Connor telling Hanna Montana last year that she shouldn't trust the yes people around her, and that she was being used? I think it has really helped the Manics' music develop over the years by not being surrounded by yes people. I think they probably heard "no" much more often!
Old 12-01-2014, 12:34
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesic View Post
They've mellowed a bit, but my general impression is that the Manics don't actually "like" very many people and simply tolerate them. I assume their inner circle is very select. However, I think that many of the brats in music and film could probably learn something from them in this regard. Wasn't Sinead O'Connor telling Hanna Montana last year that she shouldn't trust the yes people around her, and that she was being used? I think it has really helped the Manics' music develop over the years by not being surrounded by yes people. I think they probably heard "no" much more often!
I agree with pretty much all of this. I think that Richey was slightly different though, especially towards 94-95, as the popular assumption that he needed to be loved/understood would have brought him closer to some people outside of the band, and I think in this regard he was probably more friendly and welcoming to Price than the other three are.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:46
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
I agree with pretty much all of this. I think that Richey was slightly different though, especially towards 94-95, as the popular assumption that he needed to be loved/understood would have brought him closer to some people outside of the band, and I think in this regard he was probably more friendly and welcoming to Price than the other three are.
That's interesting! Are there any proofs for that(interviews, quotes) or is it just your opinion?Nothing bitchy, just wanna know..
and yeah,I agree with one of the posters above - I also have an impression that they tolerate him more than they actually like him..
Old 12-01-2014, 12:51
Footprint of history

Probably tolerate him because he is a big fan of the group and usually gives good reviews of everything they do so its basically free publicity.
Old 12-01-2014, 13:12
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanushka View Post
That's interesting! Are there any proofs for that(interviews, quotes) or is it just your opinion?Nothing bitchy, just wanna know..
and yeah,I agree with one of the posters above - I also have an impression that they tolerate him more than they actually like him..
I think you've just got to read around basically. There's nothing really more specific than when Nicky once said that the difference between him and Richey is that Richey wanted to be understood and Nicky never wanted to be understood, or words to that effect.
Old 12-01-2014, 13:52
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
I think that Richey was slightly different though, especially towards 94-95, as the popular assumption that he needed to be loved/understood would have brought him closer to some people outside of the band, .
That's interesting. I think in 94/95 he was looking for acceptance but before then I think he was more interested in being perceived of as "different". Image and how he was perceived by others seemed to be important to him, and he liked to emphasis that he was "different". I think if he was put in a group of self harming, anorexic binge drinkers he would have had a fit, and would have come to the group with green hair and neon pink clothes, just to show that he was still different
Old 12-01-2014, 14:42
Winterlover

I'm not sure they are so much a closed circle as just simply friends. One of the band's attractive qualities is that they come across as friends who have formed a band and remained normal rather than getting together to be a band or joining the celeb thing and popping up on everything (like Gary Barlow at the minute. What is it with that man??)

Simon Price is a fan, a music journalist.....he's not a friend which doesn't mean they like/dislike him just that he's a fan and journalist. The original plan was for Nicky to write a foreword for Everything....but decided against, maybe cos of the idea that he one day would like to write the biog but also maybe cos he and the band didn't want to endore Price's as the official biog. If Richey seemed more friendly and open.....it's not so much that the others aren't, in my opinion, but more that Richey appeared willing to talk to anyone giving some the impression he was your best friend....he wasn't he just seemed to be someone who couldn't say no (Yes)

Doesn't matter in the big scheme of things I just get annoyed at Simon Price's ego and how Everything could do with more objectivity and insight
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson