Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-08-2020, 17:54
I live to fall asleep

God that's so annoying he just got pipped to a top 5 placing, I swore out loud when I saw that, but well done on a top 10 album James, it reads well in your history
Old 21-08-2020, 18:07
Builder of routine

I thought it would scrape it at 10 or end up at 11 when I saw Amazon had run out of copies but it's done very well 🥳
Old 21-08-2020, 20:05
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I suppose it's all about the second week drop off.
Dreamland by Glass Animals was last week at 2 and in it's second week down to 64.
Deep Purple. Hoary old Deep Purple. In last week at 4, now down to 29.

Am I jinxing it by hoping EIE spends another week in the top twenty? I don't know any more.
We are living in strange times.
Old 21-08-2020, 21:14
Doors slowly closing

Would it have helped if the album cover said “James Dean Bradfield” on it at all?
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 21-08-2020, 21:33
Doors slowly closing

Jim Bob (of Carter USM) also had an album out this week and it reached 26 and he seems genuinely thrilled about it on Twitter.

Top 30 is the target for Nicky now if he actually bothers to release anything this year.

He should call his album ‘Taylor Swift’.
Old 21-08-2020, 21:42
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Would it have helped if the album cover said “James Dean Bradfield” on it at all?
It does on the label
Old 21-08-2020, 22:01
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I managed to peel off the label with his name off the wrapper and stuck it behind the CD.
If only I'd learnt to do that with other stuff.
Old 21-08-2020, 23:34
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
I managed to peel off the label with his name off the wrapper and stuck it behind the CD.
I peeled it off carefully too and stuck it on the CD case, I was annoyed to see it on the wrapper when it arrived haha. These things matter!
On a separate note, cos I've had a few beers and listening to James' album and just in one of those moods, I posted this just now on my Facebook status, something I seldom too:
I’m very passionate about music and like to think I’m quite knowledgeable on the subject as a whole. James Dean Bradfield, lead singer of my favourite band Manic Street Preachers, has a new album out now. Musically and lyrically, it invokes so much more content, emotion, heart and melody than 95% of dirge that hits the brainless mainstream radio waves. The lyrical content struck me and made me research the man it was about, Victor Jara. That’s why I love and digest the music that I do; it inspires me to read, to learn, to write and to play.
Old 22-08-2020, 10:13
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Yeah, I wish I'd learned to do that earlier in my collecting career too. I wanted to keep labels and packaging intact but wanted to get inside to listen to the music more. It wasn't until I worked in a record shop for a while and the guys that worked there showed me a few tricks like that.

A couple of good tips for things like this:

Those frustrating really sticky labels that you want to get off the actual sleeve (and not save - second hand record shop / charity shop price labels etc) but can't without leaving a half ripped sticky mess are easily dealt with. Buy some lighter fluid and a heavy duty razor blade. Soak the label with the lighter fluid, leave it for a minute or so, then carefully use the edge of the razor blade to gently scrape the label off.

If there's a label you want to keep that's on the outside of the shrinkwrap, it's much neater and easier to use a pair of scissors. Take the shrinkwrap off, being careful to leave the area around the label neat and flat, then cut around the label, chuck the rest of the shrinkwrap away and keep the label inside the record or CD.

Also, there's certain types of packaging on some special editions where there's a sticker enclosing the gap where the record comes out of the sleeve or around the edge of a CD box / case, preventing it being opened without removing the sticker. Depending on your preference, sometimes it looks nicer to keep the sticker where it is. Use a sharp knife or razor blade and neatly slice the sticker in half (or wherever the line of the gap underneath it is) so that it stays where it is looking all pretty but also allowing you to get the CD / record out.
Old 22-08-2020, 10:17
A self-made vacuum

Does anybody have final sales figures for the first week for EiE?
Old 22-08-2020, 11:43
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post

I agree with you it probably doesn't help sales but I do think it's very respectful of Jara to make sure he's the focal point.
Old 22-08-2020, 12:53
Builder of routine

His name not being printed on the album cover had no effect on sales
Old 22-08-2020, 15:19
Doors slowly closing

JDB has shaved his beard off. The campaign is over.
Old 22-08-2020, 15:31
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
His name not being printed on the album cover had no effect on sales
Of course it does. Don't be silly.
Old 22-08-2020, 15:46
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
JDB has shaved his beard off. The campaign is over.

Nooooooooooooo!

Stand back, I have political powers!