Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 25-06-2018, 00:12
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
Agree - Im not working, for instance is a song i wouldnt lose too much sleep over if it was dropped from the tracklisting.
I have always thought a short instrumental snippet of that song between My Little Empire and Tender and Tired would have been better. As it is, it's stretches on for over five minutes and stifles the second half of the album a bit.

Pretty much all the songs on the second half of that album are around the five minute mark, which does make it go on a bit.
Old 28-06-2018, 16:45
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
SYMM’s lyrics stick out less each time they put out a new batch of songs.

You could make a compilation of material from the last 20 years entitled ‘I Had Nothing To Write That Day But Jimbo Was Pressuring Me’.
Last 20 years? That includes 'Futurology' which mixes art and politics and is one of the most obviously considered and lyrically themed albums they've ever released.

It includes 'Postcards' which, whether people like the album or not, is the most political album the band have released in years.

It includes 'Know Your Enemy' which lashes out on all kinds of topics.

And the likes of 'Lifeblood' and 'Rewind The Film' contain some lovely lyrics even if they're more introspective.

I would say there are a few more duff lines on RIF than on previous albums but I think it's a reflection of the turbulence of the situation around writing them. I don't like the Arctic Monkeys but the fact that Nick says he's been inspired lyrically by their new album is good news as he seems to have not really been inspired by much for the last few years. Hopefully it'll lead to a resurgence.
Old 28-06-2018, 16:46
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd2103 View Post
I don't mind the song itself, it's just that it doesn't really sit well as a closing song for me, just as Myaakovsky, The Left Behind and William's Last Words don't.
I think all of those work pretty well myself!
Old 28-06-2018, 16:50
I live to fall asleep

Incidentally, my favourite thing on any of the re-issues is the demo of Underdogs. Not because I love it in itself, but because for 10 years fans have moaned about the 'edit' in the studio version (which always just sounded like a deliberate sudden cut to me) only for it to appear in the demo version as well...
Old 29-06-2018, 12:54
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
I think all of those work pretty well myself!
It's not that I don't like the songs mentioned and on reflection it's not that they don't work as closing songs, it's just that I feel they all follow songs which I think would have worked better as the final track on the album.

Nobody Loved You, VSEC, The View From Stow Hill and Song For the Sadness would have all made great closing songs (just my opinion of course!!). I love the album, but have always found the choice to finish Futurology with Mayakovsky and not The View From Stow Hill a pretty bizarre one.
Old 25-07-2018, 13:42
Stretched out in the sun

In 2011 when Suede re-released their first five albums in 2cd/dvd packages, each one had an alternate tracklisting in the sleeve while the original listing was kept the same on the cds. Bulk of the album stayed consistent but couple of b-sides swapped for album tracks and a little bit of rehashing of order. I'd have loved Manics to have done that with the reissues we've had so far.

Well, saying that you can't change Holy Bible.. only three b-sides anyway if we're not counting remixes and live stuff. Maybe like James says I think in the 10th anniversary dvd, about prefering US mix of this and UK mix of that.. Couldn't do anything with the order of the album I don't think.

It can be hard to guage what they think of their own material sometimes, just cos summat disappears from their live set doesn't necessarily mean they don't like it, could equally be that they don't think that overall the audience will want it. Course at the same time with a band like them with different versions, there are going to be fans stood or sat next to each other at gigs wanting different things. Over the years following the band you hear about the working titles and potential singles etc, fucked if I can remember where but I've read that Patrick Bateman and Be Natural were both contenders for lead singles, and I kinda wish they were! But yeah, I'd love to see any ideas they'd have of alternate tracklistings, if they'd had their time again.