Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-10-2009, 21:39
A self-made vacuum

I've noticed a number of American lurkers have started posting recently or there have been all new members - any stat on how much the total members number jumped since the tour started?
Old 14-10-2009, 21:42
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmartyr View Post
I've noticed a number of American lurkers have started posting recently or there have been all new members - any stat on how much the total members number jumped since the tour started?
I think there may be something in the Admin CP which allows you to arrange the latest users by join date etc. Possibly. It's been a while since I've been allowed to use it.
Old 14-10-2009, 22:53
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmartyr View Post

I lived on here a few years back but left because of the negative vibes I got. It looks like US fans are less hassled here now/there are fewer official forum immigrants to cause trouble.
Old 14-10-2009, 22:58
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by i blame history View Post
I lived on here a few years back but left because of the negative vibes I got. It looks like US fans are less hassled here now/there are fewer official forum immigrants to cause trouble.
Bullies on FD!? That is suprising. I've not been on here long but it is certainly more friendly than any forum I've posted on.
Old 15-10-2009, 02:16
I am purity, they call me perverted

i think a lot of american fans will come out of the woodwork now.

im sure some of them havent really allowed themselves to become uber-fans as it was near impossible to see them (unless they had ca$h for overseas jaunts to shows)

i think that the band has realized it was a mistake to be away from america for so long. im sure they felt a bit guilty whenever fans would tell them that they've been waiting ten years + for a show. (it had been 17 years since the band had played boston)

i think the smart thing would be to play another show in new york when they are recording portions of their next album here next year.
Old 15-10-2009, 03:14
Winterlover

Quote:
Negative vibes because you were American or was it just a personal disagreement with another individual? Sorry, I don't mean to pry or encourage you to relive a negative situation, it just seems odd to me that nationality would cause conflict between fans of the same band.
Old 15-10-2009, 03:32
Knowlede Is Power

I'm not sure what it was. I seem to remember a lot of negative attitudes against Americans, as well as a couple personal attacks based on me being American. I gave up when someone told me that they were "off to see the band that I would never, ever fucking see. ha!"

My husband stuck around here pretty much all the time, though. I suppose it just didn't bother him, or maybe the problem WAS me and I just don't remember things. I don't know how active he is... he at least lurks fairly often, but I know he posts.
Old 15-10-2009, 06:28
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
I'm not sure what it was. I seem to remember a lot of negative attitudes against Americans, as well as a couple personal attacks based on me being American. I gave up when someone told me that they were "off to see the band that I would never, ever fucking see. ha!"
Damn, what a jerk. I apologize on his/her behalf. I'm glad you feel comfortable about posting again!
Old 15-10-2009, 13:52

Hi everyone, I'm a lurker who has just started to post... I'm an American fan of 13 years +. Didn't get to see them in '99 though. My first show was at The Majestic in Detroit on Oct. 2nd. It was a dream come true - never ever thought I'd get to see them in concert here in the states.

If they did a small tour like this one every few years, that would be great.
Old 15-10-2009, 15:05

I have also been lurking for ages....there was always this slightly funny vibe like americans couldn't be true manics fans until we followed the band around on tour. And of course, we couldn't, so many didn't post.

But this forum is much friendlier now than many other forums I have been on, esp. one that will remain nameless....

Last edited by astrababe; 15-10-2009 at 15:51.
Old 15-10-2009, 18:50
I live to fall asleep

They look for someone brilliant and amazing to work for them in some randon admin type role and I get the job! After all I need a new one and Nick falls madly in love with me and we live happily ever after...

It's great to dream isn't it?????
Old 15-10-2009, 19:33

Mr. Selfdestruct has a lot of good points. For some reason, seems like a lot of fans (myself included) waned in interest a bit around/after KYE, and even the band themselves admit to being in a kind of a "lost" period, until SATT.

I can't even begin to describe the thrill it was to finally get to see my favorite band for the past 13 years last week. No other band has ever meant so much to me, and I've been a huge fan of music all my life, so that's really saying something. Back from around '97-'00, I would say I was beyond intrigued with the Manics... it was really almost a way of life. As an American fan, it was both frustrating, and in some ways cool as hell to be a Manics fan. I spent every free minute talking with friends on the old alt.music.manics newsgroup back in the old old old days (made a lot of friends there, and a couple that I'm still in touch with). I have a collection of memorabilia from that period up to my eyeballs, that I have my UK fanatic friends from that time to thank for, and I still treasure every scrap of it. It was just so much fun getting posts from the UK full of Manics goodies, and I have been revisiting a lot of my bootleg MSP videos, books, posters, music papers, tour books, postcards, odds and ends since the show last week. It's actually been very emotional, and yet, for the first time in a very long time, I don't know how to explain it, it's like I'm "awake" ... it's nice to be back to feeling like something really moves me that much, I guess I'd gotten a little jaded as a 30 something, work every day, family problems/illnesses.. these things do knock a fair bit of the wind out of your sails as you get older and it does become increasingly difficult to feel excited about too much of anything. Maybe that's what the Manics were going through from KYE-Lifeblood, as they were around my age at that time, that painful transition from youth to true adulthood yet not quite "old".

At any rate, I had missed talking about the Manics with other fans for the past 6-7 years or so. I never thought I would get to see them anywhere other than my television or computer screen, and I guess maybe that helped me to wean myself off of them a bit, feeling like it would never happen, but now that it has, it's been a complete 180 for me, and their music has never ever felt more personal and important to me than it does right now.

Okay, rambling over. It's nice to be amongst the fans again.

xo Carla
Old 15-10-2009, 22:44
Born to end

Carla, I know exactly what you mean. That's how I feel.
Old 15-10-2009, 22:58
I live to fall asleep

So pleased for you guys. Its the way the Manics always make me feel.
Old 15-10-2009, 23:22

i did not even give myself the green light to obsess over them until after the show this week. so no checking into forums etc. i was really paranoid that the show would be cancelled.

the last show i tried to go to was cancelled after one of their mum's died ten years ago.

but yeah i think ive got a green light now :-D