Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-09-2010, 21:01
I live to fall asleep

Cockpisspartridge.
Old 03-09-2010, 21:05
Footprint of history

I can't stop listening to Don't be Evil, it is that and Golden Platitudes that don't make the thing a complete waste of time.
Old 03-09-2010, 21:11
Builder of routine

Typical 20k+ poster, Don't Be Evil is a dissapointing end, It's Not War would have been better really.
Old 03-09-2010, 21:22
Footprint of history

You're wrong, my friend!

It's got class. It doesn't overkill on overdubs like the majority of the rest of them.
Old 03-09-2010, 21:34
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherJDB View Post
I haven't listened to the whole album just a few tracks with friends who had a promo advanced copy and I realy liked what I heard and I agree that

it sits somewhere between EMG's bside sound and SATT

I seriously think the band don't get enough credit on here, which is hugely depressing considering this is their primary forum these day, few people ever seem to be happy with a band who are generally consistently good at pretty much at the top of their game live again. Some people maybe need to give up. Sorry if this upsets anyone but i genuinely consider this about the last place to get a reasonable verdict on any new material, i hate the thought that anyone from the band would even look on here.
I totally agree with you and often feel that the overall tone on FD lately has been very down on the band: critical of the secret gig- they didn't have to do it, slaggin off set lists-why shouldn't they do best of sets with some new tracks to try them, critical of aiming for a big, mass audience again-lets be honest its a good time to try this as it probably wont happen again after this album just because of the age of the band, real anger at the box set and the cost-well don't bloody buy it then, at least they're putting some thought into it and offering something unique (the special edition that Muse released last year was over £100 and was not as varied!!!!!)

I know everyone has an opinion and should be able to voice it but sometimes I wonder why some people are on here at all? Give up on the boys if it all seems shit and spend your time on other bands.

I love the fact they're still passionate about the business, music, fans, keeping going and haven't done a U2. I'm really looking forward to gettin my 2 cd set and the singles and taking time to listen. It may never be as great as THB, JFPL or EMG for me but I still can't wait.
Old 03-09-2010, 22:03
Doors slowly closing

Finally managed to hear the full album now after a few days without the title track. After my initial uncertainty (and a million listens) I love the damn thing. Not sure about the order, it's split up quite clearly, perhaps deliberately, into two halves - pop and rock. The advantage there for me is that the second half is particularly fantastic but I'd rather the styles were mixed up a bit. Not keen on the closer either.

I'd maybe have ordered it like this...

1. A Billion Balconies Facing the Sun
2. (It's Not War) Just the End of Love
3. The Descent (Pages 1 & 2)
4. Some Kind of Nothingness
5. Don't Be Evil
6. I Think I've Found It
7. Hazelton Avenue
8. Auto-Intoxication
9. All We Make is Entertainment
10. The Future Has Been Here 4Ever
11. Golden Platitudes
12. Postcards From a Young Man
Old 03-09-2010, 23:49
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Noir View Post
There's a song called 'Don't be Evil'? Ha, christ. Sounds like a Vicki Pollard soundbite.

Haha!
Old 04-09-2010, 00:05
Freed from the century

Managed to listen through it a few times without it being a chore, so it's definately grown on me, and a couple of hooks kept playing through my head as i was trying to sleep so mission accomplished there. It's gone from a 4 or 5/10 to a 6 but i do have reservations with the album's mix.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:06
Freed from the century

it is easily cut down to a perfect running album. dunno if that's a good thing, but i know i will run many miles with this playing in the iphone.
"Tired of all who come with words, words but no language / I went to the snow-covered island. / The wild does not have words. / The unwritten pages spread themselves out in all directions! / I come across the marks of roe-deer's hooves in the snow. / Language but no words."

Tomas Tranströmer
Old 04-09-2010, 01:09
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasbrundin View Post
it is easily cut down to a perfect running album. dunno if that's a good thing, but i know i will run many miles with this playing in the iphone.
edit: looking at other fav running tunes - "now my heart is full", "take another look" (frankie saunders), "changing of the guards" and "further away" - it puts in good company
"Tired of all who come with words, words but no language / I went to the snow-covered island. / The wild does not have words. / The unwritten pages spread themselves out in all directions! / I come across the marks of roe-deer's hooves in the snow. / Language but no words."

Tomas Tranströmer
Old 04-09-2010, 01:42
Winterlover

All We Make Is Entertainment has a very Brian Mayesque solo at the end of it. Best part of the song. I think the chorus lets it down a lot though, the verses are good, however.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 04-09-2010, 02:29
Winterlover

I've listened to two, Hazleton Avenue was a bit meh but I like it as a song it's nothing special mind.

A Billion Balconies however, well I love the imagery....It's a great song bar the cock rock drumming in the intro.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:59
Freed from the century

Many many songs from this album are permanently lodged in my head, which can only be a good thing, although I'm not getting GP at all at the moment. Also keep starting from track 2 - they should have buried INW a bit more so it was less easy to skip it.

Otherwise very impressed, especially that it DOES sound like Aerosmith (or someone with rock guitars) playing Motown.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:14
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle-the-wagons View Post
That dum dum dum da da da dum did exactly the same to me driving me nuts; for a week i've been tryin to find the riff it reminds me of and i'm thinking its this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OifIwh53gY

Nothing copied or stolen though
Nah, not what I'm thinking of, but thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Prout View Post
Is it not Girls Aloud's "The Promise"?
Not for me, I wouldn't know a GA song if it came up and ate my arse.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:25
I am purity, they call me perverted

Genuine question for the people who consider the album shit: what do you expect them to do? This album has quite a typical manics since 1996 sound (although is instrumentally/musically more experimental than most).
Apart from four or five tracks off Journal, it's surely some of the best music they've done since EMG. And Journal was a tribute album of sorts: there simply isn't going to be another Holy Bible. Perhaps some people would be happier moving onto another band, or alternatively just stop buying/listening to their new output. I'm not having a go. I can fully understand people might say the albums slightly disapponting or not as good as EMG or GT or whatever. But just saying 'it's really shit' or 'they've lost it' when it's blatantly not shit but a typically lifting, slightly cheesy in parts, fantastic in other parts new manics album . . . I think these people should find another band. If there were genuinely going to be another 20 rock albums better than PFAYM sold this year I wouldn't be writing on this forum, I would be listening to them. For those who think that PFAYM is not among the top 20 of the year i I think you should go and listen to what you consider is. I love the manics becasue I enjoy their music. No matter how great the lyrics and the ideas etc, if the music was shit I wouldn;t be here.The manics make records to be enjoyed. It's not like watching your hometown team where you're obliged to keep following them as they slide down the divisions. If you're not enjoying the music, to such an extent that you would label as "shit" a collection of songs that they've presumably spent more than a year working, why are you still wasting time on here?