Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-09-2010, 13:05
I am purity, they call me perverted

Its not war - 6.5
Postcards - 10
Skon – 8.5
Descent – 8
Hazleton Avenue – 8.5
Auto intoxication – 8
Golden platitudes – 6.5
Think I’ve found it - 8
Billion balconies – 9
All we make is – 8
The future has been – 9
Don’t be evil – 8

Give it an 8.5 overall.

Their best album since EMG. Probably their 3rd best overall, slightly better than JFPL and TIMY (although the albums are so different that comparisons are quite meaningless in a sense) and comfortably better than SATTs.
First listen I found 'Future' pretty bad but second time i actually quite liked nicky's singing - the laid-back verses are fantastic in particular.

I think I've found it has got a great, great hook/riff. The other songs all have fantastic choruses. Just the INWJEL and Golden Platitudes not quite up to scratch (I think the former could have been half a minute shorter and perhaps laid off the choir a bit at the end). But they might grow on me too.
In short, loads of great songs and more invention than usual too.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:06
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon View Post
aw man, what does 'don't be evil' sound like? starts like Black Grape's 'kelly's heroes', but the vocal line in the verses... it's pretty much note for note something else... has this been picked up on anywhere in this thread at all?
Blur's Entertain Me? Though it's not the vocal that reminds me of that.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:14

Oh dear. Gutted. After first listen: Over-produced lightweight plodathon lacking in much substance. Very disappointed. This is after my first listen I should stress - if my opinion changes I shall post again. Oh and too much of a Beatles influence for my liking - a band I loathe and detest.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:14
Bored of being bored

(It's Not War) Just The End Of Love . . . 6
Postcards From A Young Man . . . 7
Some Kind Of Nothingness . . . 5
The Descent (Pages 1 & 2) . . . 5
Hazelton Avenue . . . 7
Auto Intoxication . . . 9
Golden Platitudes . . . 6
I Think I've Found It . . . 5
A Billion Balconies Facing The Sun . . . 8
All We Make Is Entertainment . . . 8
The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever . . . 6
Don't Be Evil . . . 6
Old 01-09-2010, 13:19
Bored of being bored

hmm these seem like low ratings. its one of those albums i dont really mind, theyre just not anything special or extraordinary.

i hate the descent, as i just listened to it again, and it is my least favourite manics track ever i think. but there are a few gems, and to be honest, the nicky wire sang tune is NOT bad - i HATE his voice so that is weird.

dont be evil is a nice little send away the tigers bside. so is golden platitudes. so is i think i've found it.

and although hazelton avenue is okay, something about it i like, something about it i hate. cant describe.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:21

1. Holy bible
2. EMG
3. Postcards
4. Journal
5. Know Your Enemy
5. TIMTY
5. GT
8. Lifeblood
9.SATTs
10.GATS

Half a dozen fantastic songs on each of TIMT,KYE, GT but a few duds as well.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDawes View Post
Oh dear. Gutted. After first listen: Over-produced lightweight plodathon lacking in much substance. Very disappointed. This is after my first listen I should stress - if my opinion changes I shall post again. Oh and too much of a Beatles influence for my liking - a band I loathe and detest.
If you can't appreciate the songwriting genius of the Beatles even a little maybe pop/rock music's not your thing . . .
Old 01-09-2010, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron33 View Post
If you can't appreciate the songwriting genius of the Beatles even a little maybe pop/rock music's not your thing . . .
There's a sweeping statement/generalisation that I object to vehemently. The suggestion that not liking one band's output means I should disregard an entire genre is frankly ludicrous. I appreciate why people enjoy it and it's merits. I just happen to hate it.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDelayed.com View Post
hmm these seem like low ratings. its one of those albums i dont really mind, theyre just not anything special or extraordinary.

i hate the descent, as i just listened to it again, and it is my least favourite manics track ever i think. but there are a few gems, and to be honest, the nicky wire sang tune is NOT bad - i HATE his voice so that is weird.

dont be evil is a nice little send away the tigers bside. so is golden platitudes. so is i think i've found it.

and although hazelton avenue is okay, something about it i like, something about it i hate. cant describe.
the only SATT songs which I consider as equals of those on this album are SATT, YLA and Depression. SATT is full of decent enough songs but as a whole its musically quite boring. I think Hazleton Avenue is one of this album's highlights. The last bridge before the final chorus is one of the most beautiful moments on the album. (as is the bit on PFAYM, SKON the beginning of Auto Intox and so on). There are loads of fantastic moments on this album.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:33
Bored of being bored

(It's Not War) Just The End Of Love . . . 8
Postcards From A Young Man . . . 9
Some Kind Of Nothingness . . . 8
The Descent (Pages 1 & 2) . . . 8
Hazelton Avenue . . . 8
Auto Intoxication . . . 6
Golden Platitudes . . . 6
I Think I've Found It . . . 7
A Billion Balconies Facing The Sun . . . 7
All We Make Is Entertainment . . . 9
The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever . . . 1 - NICKY SHOULDNT SING!
Don't Be Evil . . . 5
Old 01-09-2010, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDawes View Post
There's a sweeping statement/generalisation that I object to vehemently. The suggestion that not liking one band's output means I should disregard an entire genre is frankly ludicrous. I appreciate why people enjoy it and it's merits. I just happen to hate it.
Fair point, didn't mean to offend! Of course not everyone is into the Beatles and I respect that. I guess loathing them is fair enough. It just irritates me when people say that the Beatles are 'rubbish' or 'hugely overrated', which is a bit moronic in my book. It's akin to saying Shakespeare was a rubbish writer. Of course that doesn't mean everyone should love the Beatles music or Shakespeares plays.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:41

By the way I think you're opinion might change! 1st time I heard it I thought the song pretty nondescript. Now I think its a great,great summery yet subtle pop/rock song. Same goes for Future.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:42

That should have read:
By the way I think you're opinion of the album might change! For example, 1st time I heard I Think I Found It it I thought the song pretty nondescript. Now I think its a great,great summery yet subtle pop/rock song. Same goes for Future.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron33 View Post
Fair point, didn't mean to offend! Of course not everyone is into the Beatles and I respect that. I guess loathing them is fair enough. It just irritates me when people say that the Beatles are 'rubbish' or 'hugely overrated', which is a bit moronic in my book. It's akin to saying Shakespeare was a rubbish writer. Of course that doesn't mean everyone should love the Beatles music or Shakespeares plays.
Absolutely. Fair comment. They probably were genius'. Just not ones I dig, innit :-D
Old 01-09-2010, 14:05
Doors slowly closing

It's also like being a fan of sci-fi and thinking Star Wars was shit, for example
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)