Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-12-2014, 19:14
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Mausoleum (the feel good hit of the winter according to Nicky) and This Is Yesterday were amazing.
The 'sing-along hit of the winter' I think it was, which was amusing.
Old 16-12-2014, 19:37
Knowlede Is Power

Finally home after a long journey back up north (major delays due to some poor soul being struck by the train in front of us).

Still collecting my thoughts about last night's stupendous gig, there's so many things pinging around my head at the moment. James was an absolute trooper, he must have been in considerable discomfort throughout. Oddly his cracked vocals added to the HB set in some way. Twenty years ago he didn't have the big landscaped voice that he has now, and struggling to get the words out last night gave the songs and fragile edge. Really did worry for him during 4st7lb though.

Nicky was a lot more jovial than I was expecting having read some of the comments on here, partly I think to take some of the weight of James' shoulders. The sing-a-long-a-Mausoleum was just stunning.

I was so pleased they played 1985 and Nina Hoss was a great surprise. Do wish they would play a few more tracks from Futurology though as it sounds astonishing live. And didn't Nicky look fabulous in that black military jacket

We were in the seats for the gig, and whilst that is not a place I would usually like to be I was kind of glad of it during HB. Not sure if I would have managed to stay on my feet for a couple of the songs, may have just dissolved in a heap! Stood for all of the second set though.

Have to say, the entwined couple next to me didn't move and muscle throughout the entire gig. Not even during DFL. At one point I was beginning to wonder whether I should check their pulses in case IHOE had literally scared them to death.

Went to the Monarch afterwards and drank a little too much Jamesons
Old 16-12-2014, 20:05
Winterlover

Just got back from London a couple of hours ago. Did spot a few FDers from afar but didn't get a chance to say hi, so hello Tim and also whoever was in the Enterprise around 7ish!

The gig itself was pretty good, but there was very little 'attack' on the THB songs. It wasn't just JDB being ill, it simply seemed like the collective ageing of the band, and I couldn't help longing for the James of a few years ago, "spinning and barking like a bull terrier high on tartrazine". I was told that Mausoleum had been sounding good, and that's where the set gained momentum, hitting Faster hard and with a committed, well rehearsed Intense Humming. I don't remember much of PCP, which means it must have been good!

The second set was mixed in terms of the song choices but all sounded good (bar Divine Youth) and I found myself smiling a lot - it's probably the last time I'll see the band live (this was my 'coming out of retirement for one last job') and I was enjoying it come what may. James seemed like he was more relaxed for the second half as well. The closing ADFL meant more to me than it ever has before, with Nicky's intro of (roughly) 'this is for everyone campaigning to keep libraries open', something I'm stuck right in the middle of, really adding something urgent and poignant to Libraries gave us power.... what price now...?

So yeah I'm glad I went, but for me personally it felt largely like something from the past; something I'm still fond of but don't really need like I once did. Having said that, the sods are playing so close to me in June I'll feel weird not going and just hearing a few notes floating over on the (ahem) summer wind! So yeah, just like the band themselves, consider my hypocrisy clause well and truly activated.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 16-12-2014, 20:22
Bored of being bored

It was good gig on the whole, not great/special but certainly worth going, I was very happy with the set list despite like many who are fed up.

The DJ was awful & got in at 8:20pm, a bit of a con to charge £40 for ticket & have not even 1 decent support act.

Great to see 1 song from Lifeblood & I got to hear Futurology live. The Holy Bible crowd were excellent but no one barely knew anything from the current LP which was quite disappointing, or appreciated its excellence. I was thankfully not wound up with boredom but I couldn't stand to hear ADFL or YSTSFMH, so didn't get involved in the crowd.

I felt The Intense Humming of Evil would not get the right feel due to its musical arrangement but it worked very well & stage lighting/strobes made sure it was excellent.

Furious that the 'Hits' got more attention from the crowd then the current LP Only handful of maybe 2/3 people near me were into the current LP, the reaction from the crowd for YSTSFMH should have been for Dreaming a City (Hugheskova) only I was going nuts during it.

Divine Youth is very weak & poor live, Nicky said it was the last time they would play it live, why the hell Nina didn't sing it is beyond me. Another song which wasn't good live was 4st 7lbs, it didn't work vocally, the music PA was louder than vocals.

Did they really need 10mins to change?? Who cares? I just want the music, loved Nicky's jacket though!! Bit tired of James getting ill all the time, they've only done bloody 4 dates on this tour before yesterday night. Lots of fans travel from all over, ok I love 25 mins away but we should get the best in terms of everything from a band.

On the Venue, Nicky said they wanted to recreate the vibe from the Astoria???? The Forum, Indigo, Shepherds Bush Empire & The Electric would have been much better suited. I don't like the Roundhouse that much hence why I didn't go to the gigs in 2009 but opted for the Forum 1 week later.

It's true what Bambi said about the aggression of the songs from THB, its nothing to do with being ill either, I also felt it could have been more raw & kick ass!! but it wasn't, it was in 2005 in the PPF when they played songs from it but it wasn't there last night, hence I knew I would not to go tomorrow because I don't think the set will be better nor will the crowd, its a crowd of 2 halves.
Old 16-12-2014, 21:34
Bored out of my mind

Hope James doesn't end up with laryngitis again!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 17-12-2014, 00:25
Born to end

Old 17-12-2014, 00:30
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie scum View Post
NICE. I'm likely going to steal that for my Facebook timeline wallpaper or whatever. Hope you don't mind.
Old 17-12-2014, 00:42
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwood View Post
NICE. I'm likely going to steal that for my Facebook timeline wallpaper or whatever. Hope you don't mind.
Thanks! Not at all! Please do! Here is a link to the original, larger version!http://i.imgur.com/EyXZzW0.jpg
Old 17-12-2014, 00:44
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie scum View Post
Thanks! Not at all! Please do! Here is a link to the original, larger version!http://i.imgur.com/EyXZzW0.jpg
Thanks!
Old 17-12-2014, 01:30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
The gig itself was pretty good, but there was very little 'attack' on the THB songs. It wasn't just JDB being ill, it simply seemed like the collective ageing of the band, and I couldn't help longing for the James of a few years ago, "spinning and barking like a bull terrier high on tartrazine".
I think it was james being ill, he was totally different tonight, much more like the second one there.
Old 17-12-2014, 13:49
Bored of being bored

So I was ripped off like many others on the Monday night because the lead singer/guitarist was ill
Old 18-12-2014, 01:45
Builder of routine

no you weren't
Old 18-12-2014, 17:01
I am purity, they call me perverted

As the drumtrack to You Stole The Sun From My Heart started, I couldn't help but think: what a way to ruin a perfectly miserable gig.

I then laughed.
Old 18-12-2014, 19:48

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Just got back from London a couple of hours ago. Did spot a few FDers from afar but didn't get a chance to say hi, so hello Tim and also whoever was in the Enterprise around 7ish!
Hello to you too then! I was at The Enterprise from 2:30 in my white sailot-suit top.
Old 18-12-2014, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
Was lovely to meet you both :-)
Thanks! It was great meeting you too, I had a great time!