Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 04-07-2014, 21:28
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozendiva View Post
People will do what they want. It's a public messageboard. Some people genuinely don't like it, and others just get a thrill/ego trip out of it. Or giving a 'reality' check. Nothing else better to do. It would be very rare to find a consensus that everyone likes the disc or any disc or really anything at all. If you like it and feel it was worth your $10, that's all that matters.
I'm saying if someone hates the band and is full-on hostile towards them there's no point in posting on a message board dedicated to said band. It's like Atease that Radiohead forum that 99% of the members don't even like the band and it's like 4chan almost.

2014 - April 11 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
2014 - April 12 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
Old 04-07-2014, 21:30
Footprint of history

Most of us a lot older than you so been around so much from the start!!
Old 04-07-2014, 21:30
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
I'm saying if someone hates the band and is full-on hostile towards them there's no point in posting on a message board dedicated to said band. It's like Atease that Radiohead forum that 99% of the members don't even like the band and it's like 4chan almost.
There's a difference between hating a band and hating a record.
Old 04-07-2014, 21:32
Freed from the century

The way that you put it made it sound like the album RUINED THE BAND FOREVER for you though.

Old 04-07-2014, 21:32
Stretched out in the sun

Don't like the record? Give it to someone else, donate it to a charity shop, burn it, throw it away.

In terms of a messageboard, constructive criticism works. And not every record or song will be everyone's taste.

People are fickle and unpredictable.
Old 04-07-2014, 21:34
Freed from the century

Not saying there's no room for criticism. Postcards puts me to sleep but when it came out I didn't start going on a tangent about how everything the band has done is crap.

Old 04-07-2014, 21:35
Winterlover

Quote:
The way that you put it made it sound like the album RUINED THE BAND FOREVER for you though.
No, I said it made me re-evaluate the quality of the lyrics. Not the music.
Old 04-07-2014, 21:36
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Some people like to shit on the manics no matter what and still post on a forum despite hating the band.
Old 04-07-2014, 21:38
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
Most of us a lot older than you so been around so much from the start!!
I can't help the fact that I was born when they were running around in white skinny jeans looking 14. Doesn't make me less of a fan or my word less valid.

Old 04-07-2014, 21:38
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRK View Post
There's a difference between hating a band and hating a record.
Depends on how many records by that band you hate. If it's a lot then i'd say you hate the band.

For example, I hate Bon Jovi. If they come on the radio I switch them off. I don't sit there and think " ooh I must go out and buy their back catalogue because I really f**ing hate them"
Old 04-07-2014, 21:40
Footprint of history

Quote:
I can't help the fact that I was born when they were running around in white skinny jeans looking 14. Doesn't make me less of a fan or my word less valid.
And neither does it make ours so let them have their say
Old 04-07-2014, 21:41
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by repeat View Post
Depends on how many records by that band you hate. If it's a lot then i'd say you hate the band.

For example, I hate Bon Jovi. If they come on the radio I switch them off. I don't sit there and think " ooh I must go out and buy their back catalogue because I really f**ing hate them"
Well of course, but I'd say it's pretty self evident that the fact I still frequent this forum is enough to say that I don't hate the band. Just this record. And also Know Your Enemy.
Old 04-07-2014, 21:42
Freed from the century

I'm just saying if you dislike a band why would you post on a forum about them? If I suddenly decided I don't like the Manics anymore I wouldn't stick around complaining here.

Old 04-07-2014, 21:43
Stretched out in the sun

'Lifeblood' and me are still not on listening terms. *shrugs*
Old 04-07-2014, 21:45
Doors slowly closing

Well somebody called it above, seeing that comment i actually tried so hard to convince myself this is a great album. But anyway here's a few thoughts:

Futurology isn't as bad on repeated listens, if it was on PFAYM it would've been one of the best tracks for sure. Still very weak compared to the rest of the debuted live tracks.

WMTTB we all know about, so skip mentioning that. It's one of the best songs on the album.

Lets Go To War Surprisingly works well in it's new guise. Very Public Image Ltd, both live and recorded versions should probably be viewed as seperate songs as they are so different. Both have their merits.

Next Jet to Leave Moscow really needed another minute, would've been great if the guitar gradually filled out towards the end. Could've led into EDGM alot easier. It's a nice little track but needed that extra push to do something really interesting.

EDGM Sticks out like a sore thumb, it's basically the sound of what i expected the whole album to follow but it's pretty much the opposite. It has balls which most of the record is lacking. Still my favourite track, it's mean.

Divine Youth is like something that could've been on TIMTTMY or even RTF. I do rate it a bit, but initially wasn't expecting anything like it on this album.

SPLAM - James please do NOT rap ever again. Not sure what this is supposed to be, like EDGM really sticks out but doesn't really add anything positive to the album. It's the kind of GT/GATS album track dirge i thought the band were well over by now. Cock Rock.

Dreaming a City - AWESOME. How the fuck can they put something like SPLAM before this?! I'm really tempted to just delete SPLAM just so it runs Divine Youth to Deaming a City as it would work so much better. Best instrumental the band have ever done, hope a film producer hears it and includes it in a soundrack.

Black Square - Another one of those tracks which could've been on RTF, in fact this and 30 Year War would sound great together. I'm beginning to think there really isn't alot of difference between both albums. This one surprised me the most so far, the mid-section saves it from being very average and turns it into something better than average.

Between the Clock & The Bed - I do like Green Gartside's voice anyway so not bothered about him being on the track like some. Goes very Scritti after the second chorus, niiiice outro. Again, this could've been on RTF! What was Nicky talking about saying there was so much difference between the two? Sometimes i wonder if he even listens to his on records back...

Misguided Missile Love the bass/snyth intro. Other that, quite average not really much to see here. It sounds good but that's about it, production over quality. Without that bass/synth again could've fitted onto RTF, glad it didn't though as its nowhere near as good as anything on there.

View from Stow Hill So forgettable i can't even be arsed to write anything on it.

Mayakovsky Fairly straightforward instrumental with a tiny bit of guitar twiddling, nothing too exciting.

And then... it's over.

I just don't understand, i don't get it.

One thing is for for sure... I am never listening to that fucking Nicky Wire ever again, nobody talks bullshit like that guy. The album is nothing he said it would be, i mean ok normally we know that but it really isn't like anything he said. Kautrock? Can't hear it. Spiky? Nope not at all. Nasty? Not really. How this is supposed to be so different or the 'polar opposite' to RTF i'll never know, maybe that was when they recorded EDGM...but alot of the album could've been outtakes or B-Sides from RTF. T

For me, this is NOT the Futurology i expected or wanted. I wanted an album to completely oppose RTF, to be an ugly sister, to have bollocks like no other album has thesedays. I have been waiting all year for it, the band and early reviewers talked about it like it was going to be groundbreaking. I really really really wanted to like it. But unfortunately it doesn't do anything or mean anything to me at all. It pains me to say it, but for me it's as much as a downer (but not as bad an album) as PFAYM was at the time. The sort of reviews it got should've gone to a more deserving album such as Lifeblood.

Let's get a few things straight. I love the Manics, i loved Rewind the Film, i love it when they try different styles and ideas and normally it works. I'm really glad so many people like the album, but for me it's very disappointing and I'm going back to Rewind the Film.