Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 02-08-2010, 14:09
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Poet View Post
I think pretty much everything played live off SATT (with the exception of Autumnsong) sounded better on the record. Underdogs, IS and TSGD were only played a handful of times and just didn't work. The whole point of YLAINE is lost without a duet, but they have to play it, I know.

Again, most songs played live off LB sounded better on the record. Only Solitude Sometimes Is sounded better live I think.

Judge Yourself - they only played this live at a handful of gigs, but just wasn't as dirty as the original.

There By The Grace Of God - this one just didn't work, because they toned it down from the recorded version.

Nobody Loved You - much better on the record than live, where it lacked intensity.
Well hello, anti-me! Never seen them play Nobody Loved You or Underdogs, but the rest you mentioned sounded great to me live.

I prefer Motorcycle Emptiness live too.
Old 02-08-2010, 14:14
I am purity, they call me perverted

I have rarely seen a Masses live version I enjoyed, even for the performances when certain other things are not just making a mockery of the song. It is hard for JDB to maintain the ferocity and energy of the screams which is understandable.
Old 02-08-2010, 15:23
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac185 View Post
I have rarely seen a Masses live version I enjoyed, even for the performances when certain other things are not just making a mockery of the song. It is hard for JDB to maintain the ferocity and energy of the screams which is understandable.
Especially true of versions which were dominated by Nasmyth's cheesy hammond organ because JDB didn't play through the verse. Arrrgh.
Old 02-08-2010, 17:26
Winterlover

The bridge between the first chorus and 2nd verse on Masses is better live tho. I like that little ramshackle guitar strumming.
Old 02-08-2010, 17:33
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
The bridge between the first chorus and 2nd verse on Masses is better live tho. I like that little ramshackle guitar strumming.
Too bad Masses is shite live otherwise.
Ok maybe that was a bit harsh, but I will never forgive them for allowing Nick Naysmith to do that to it!

Cambridge Corn Exchange - 08.05.07 // NME Big Gig - 28.02.08 // Reading Festival - 23.08.08 // Heavenly Gig - 12.09.08 // Newport Centre - 23.10.10 // Bristol Colston Hall - 25.10.10 // Cambridge Corn Exchange - 01.11.10 // Blackwood Miner's Institute - 27.01.11 // Cardiff CIA - 21.05.11 // Christmas Party O2 Arena - 17.12.11 //
Old 02-08-2010, 18:00

Enola Alone is equally good live as the studio version in my opinion because its just a pure n simple guitar track without any additives or sweeteners on top.
Old 02-08-2010, 18:07

`Tollerate ` never lives up to the album version.
But there`s loads that do:-
`Faster ` `Stay Beautiful` but thats proberbly coz i`m going mental in the mosh pit

Stay Beautiful.
Old 02-08-2010, 18:16

Defo So why so sad - terrible live.
Old 02-08-2010, 18:22
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-eh View Post
Ok maybe that was a bit harsh, but I will never forgive them for allowing Nick Naysmith to do that to it!
To be fair Ive enjoyed the versions of Masses in the last couple of years particularly Reading 08 when JBD punked up the versions by playing then too and sang "The Masseeeeeeeeees AGAINST the Classes, baby" - love that baby bit!
Old 02-08-2010, 19:45
Bored out of my mind

I always enjoyed the live version of Tolerate that was recorded at Cardiff CIA '98. Still think it's powerful live even if it doesn't have the exact same sound of the album version.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 02-08-2010, 19:49
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-eh View Post
I should think they told him to do that.
Old 02-08-2010, 20:18
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Poet View Post
I should think they told him to do that.
Don't say that. DON'T SAY THAT!!!!

Cambridge Corn Exchange - 08.05.07 // NME Big Gig - 28.02.08 // Reading Festival - 23.08.08 // Heavenly Gig - 12.09.08 // Newport Centre - 23.10.10 // Bristol Colston Hall - 25.10.10 // Cambridge Corn Exchange - 01.11.10 // Blackwood Miner's Institute - 27.01.11 // Cardiff CIA - 21.05.11 // Christmas Party O2 Arena - 17.12.11 //
Old 04-08-2010, 14:44
Knowlede Is Power

Most of their songs sound better on the records than they do played live
with some distinct exceptions where the live version owns:

YOU LOVE US
MOTOWN JUNK
REPEAT (well... back in the day when it was in the setlist)
OF WALKING ABORTION
THIS IS YESTERDAY (acoustic live version)

THE MASSES AGAINST THE CLASSES
FOUND THAT SOUL
BABY ELIAN (acoustic live version)
I'M JUST A PATSY
RENDITION

1999 Roskilde Festival (Denmark) ... 2001 Hultsfredsfestivalen (Sweden)
2002 Vega, Copenhagen (Denmark) ... 2003 Midtfyn Festival (Denmark)
2007 Hultsfredsfestivalen (Sweden) ... 2009 Avalon, Los Angeles, CA (U.S.A.)
2014 Vega, Copenhagen (Denmark)

Old 04-08-2010, 14:53
Knowlede Is Power

I'd say there could be an arguement made for You Love Us or Repeat, but honestly, being a musician (well, once upon a time anyway) I'd be mortified if my live performances sounded better than the studio recorded songs!
Old 04-08-2010, 15:29

Well, you never know what you're going to get in a live situation. Maybe some material doesn't translate as well on stage and technically sounds better in the studio, or just plain sounds horrible - but I'm all for the raw energy of the live performance. Good or bad, its all rock and roll baby! LOL

Its all subjective anyway. I know some people who won't go to live shows of bands they like because they don't do everything note-for-note perfect and sound just like the record. But that's their prerogative. Personally, I think they are missing out on something cool that only a live gig can offer you.

"There's still loads of anger and hate: that's what keeps us alive. When I go out there, it's always with clenched teeth." Sean Moore

Majestic Theater, Detroit 2009 * The Sinclair, Cambridge MA, 2015 * Cardiff Castle 2015, Massey Hall 2022