Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 30-07-2010, 13:46
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquerel View Post
Dislike Queen just because they broke the cultural embargo and played a concert? I don't get it. Based on this I should have hated Paul Simon as well for recording Graceland in South Africa during the Apartheid era.
No, I said that I do quite like Queen.

And Paul Simon worked with victims of Apartheid, rather than entertaining those responsible for it. There is a big difference, and the UN recognised this by saying that he had not broken the embargo.
Old 30-07-2010, 14:00
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Pistoldinner View Post
No, I said that I do quite like Queen.

And Paul Simon worked with victims of Apartheid, rather than entertaining those responsible for it. There is a big difference, and the UN recognised this by saying that he had not broken the embargo.
I must admit playing Sun City was not their greatest move, but they did in fact insist on and play to mixed audiences.
Old 30-07-2010, 14:06
Desire on its knees

I do quite like Queen, and their playing Sun City was not the worst crime ever commtted, but it did just looked like some of the peeps on the Queen forum were swallowing an elephant, yet choking on a gnat! (the gnat being Nicky's comment about Michael Stipe)
Old 30-07-2010, 14:08
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Pistoldinner View Post
I do quite like Queen, and their playing Sun City was not the worst crime ever commtted, but it did just looked like some of the peeps on the Queen forum were swallowing an elephant, yet choking on a gnat! (the gnat being Nicky's comment about Michael Stipe)
Yes, I can definately agree with you there. You should read some of the oher threads. The ones about Queen teaming up with Paul Rodgers a few years ago are legendary.

Anyway I think we have gone off on a tangent from the original thread discussion. I think Nicky should stick to singing b-sides only ;-)

Last edited by DragonOnMyBack; 30-07-2010 at 14:11.
Old 30-07-2010, 14:09
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Bob Dylan has sold millions of albums and he can't sing to save his life.
yes, due to people who listen to him. I'll never understand them.

Quote:
Still, I used to hate Brett Anderson's voice but loved the music enough to get used to it and now I like it. Figured the same could happen for Wire with some people.
F*** ME, that's THE comparison. If You like or dislike Brett's voice is just about Your taste. But Nicky CAN'T sing. It's funny to let someone who can't sing SPEAK in a funny song once a decade but that's all...
Old 30-07-2010, 14:18
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
F*** ME, that's THE comparison. If You like or dislike Brett's voice is just about Your taste. But Nicky CAN'T sing. It's funny to let someone who can't sing SPEAK in a funny song once a decade but that's all...
Ha, we're all being subjective here. Course it's about our tastes, why would it be about anything else? Some voices are more about character than ability. I know, that's the only way you can attempt to defend Nicky's singing... If everyone was a good singer in the X Factor sense of the word, we'd be bored shitless.
Old 30-07-2010, 15:59
Footprint of history

Nicky's voice is hit and miss with me. I really liked WLW, and he definitely took singing lessons between KYE and Lifeblood (which was a blessing). What I do object to is his horrible, tuneless dirge at the end of MEDD - That would be one of my all time favourite Manics songs if it wasn't for that. I'm embarrassed by the end of that track...

James, for me, will always be known as having one of the greatest, most powerful voices in Rock. Ever.
Old 30-07-2010, 21:20
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfieldsLoveChild View Post
James, for me, will always be known as having one of the greatest, most powerful voices in Rock. Ever.
Agree! (Of course! )
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 31-07-2010, 07:02
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
If You like or dislike Brett's voice is just about Your taste. But Nicky CAN'T sing.
But liking or disliking his voice is, regardless whether he can sing or not, still a matter of your taste.
Old 31-07-2010, 15:10
Builder of routine

Nick Cave can't sing either and he has some brilliant songs
Old 31-07-2010, 18:01
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Nick Cave can't sing either
Hey, what about Big Jesus Trash Can and A Dead Song!?
Old 31-07-2010, 18:08
Builder of routine

you guys just don't understand he's got brilliant and beautiful voice and I really think so
Old 31-07-2010, 21:01
Bored out of my mind

James has the most brilliant, beautiful voice ever!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 31-07-2010, 21:48
Winterlover

Quote:
Ha, we're all being subjective here. Course it's about our tastes, why would it be about anything else? Some voices are more about character than ability. I know, that's the only way you can attempt to defend Nicky's singing... If everyone was a good singer in the X Factor sense of the word, we'd be bored shitless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
But liking or disliking his voice is, regardless whether he can sing or not, still a matter of your taste.
nope. It's pretty easy to judge whether Nicky can't sing or not, it's pretty simple to discover that Brett can sing too. If You dislike Brett's singing You can still hear that he sings, gets to the notes and performs as a singer. Nicky doesn't. Don't get me wrong i liked Nicky live last year but he'd better keep his "singing" for very special occassions (b-sides, Wattsville Blues like co-lead vocal) at it'll be OK.
Old 31-07-2010, 21:49
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Nick Cave can't sing either and he has some brilliant songs
He's not that wire bad I saw him last year or two years ago and he was stunning! But outta tune most time