Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-09-2021, 23:57
I am purity, they call me perverted

The Ultra Vivid Lament Goes Nr 1!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...a-vivid-lament

Thought this deserves its own thread. I find myself pretty damn happy at this piece of news. I feel myself part of the UK now and its not like this state gives out genuinely good news on a daily, monthly or even yearly basis. In the dull constant hellscape of boring nothingness that is the Real Apocalypse, hearing this news from my girlfriend tonight was a genuine dash of colour. I know this stuff is SUPER important to Sean, Nicky and James and I'm genuinely happy they achieved it.

(Turned out its important to me to)

First after This is My Truth. And with such a weird off kilter album too! Finally their conceptual weirdness and lifeblood-like elegics -- the side of them I like the most -- rewarded on the only scale that means anything in capitalism. I wonder how this affirmation changes their thinking now? Seeing as they're --understandably, being populists -- sensitive to such market feedback. Will it mean a new era of bolder, more conceptual pop moves?

And what are your emotions on this? As said, I find myself a happy camper. I also realize, in hindsight, that it was irking me they hadn't gone nr 1, worrying me even. I just couldn't admit it because I didn't think it would happen again.

Also, Orwellian was mostly a miss, but The Secret He Had Missed is a little hit from my anecdotal evidence. Playing many times a day on every radio I hear -- that's radio sussex and bbc 6 -- and it sounds perfect. Like a little sparkling stone. I love hearing the "Walls defeated by the sea..." line casually gliding by in the other room.

My friends and more casual manics listeners seem to be liking it too.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Marat Sar; 18-09-2021 at 00:00.
Old 18-09-2021, 10:02

Re, Orwellian. Seems slightly strange the band seemed so pumped for that song in particular. Seems few people consider either of the two “singles” to be among the best (or catchiest) songs on the album. And of the two, THSHHM seems to be the more enjoyable with Orwellian probably down in most people’s bottom 3 or 4 tracks on the album? I think it’s an interesting composition melodically, but rhythmically it just plods along too much, only partly redeemed by the (relatively) soaring chorus. And lyrically it’s clever enough, but hardly enamors itself.
Old 18-09-2021, 12:17
Doors slowly closing

Everyone wore themselves out in the other thread so let this one stand as a shrine for Jimbo’s GOAT tweet.

Cometh the hour, cometh the JDB.
Old 18-09-2021, 12:27
Builder of routine

completely missed that the other day. Would've ordered more copies if I'd known
Old 18-09-2021, 13:04
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I'm not listening or watching Music TV channels so no idea of increase in airplay.
And yesterday I put my Everything Must Go black top in for the washing which I had been wearing all week.
Is it too early to start a thread for Album 15?
Old 18-09-2021, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Everyone wore themselves out in the other thread so let this one stand as a shrine for Jimbo’s GOAT tweet.

Cometh the hour, cometh the JDB.
Wow, that's so sweet!
Old 18-09-2021, 16:37
Winterlover

I’m stoked for them, I know it means a lot because they’re old school like that and as a fan it feels pretty good knowing they can still do it and are relevant. To know they have such a solid fanbase that still supports them through the highs and the lows (there have been a few!) and to do it with this kinda oddity of an album, so I hope they see that and are no longer afraid of still pushing themselves to make music that doesn’t necessarily fit with what they think people want from them - be unafraid to climb. I would have preferred lifeblood, journal or futurology to make number one but I’ll take it.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 18-09-2021, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I’m stoked for them, I know it means a lot because they’re old school like that and as a fan it feels pretty good knowing they can still do it and are relevant. To know they have such a solid fanbase that still supports them through the highs and the lows (there have been a few!) and to do it with this kinda oddity of an album, so I hope they see that and are no longer afraid of still pushing themselves to make music that doesn’t necessarily fit with what they think people want from them - be unafraid to climb. I would have preferred lifeblood, journal or futurology to make number one but I’ll take it.
It's not Lifeblood but it's not that far away from it either. It's as far from Lifeblood as Futurology was, perhaps even a little closer due to its prevailing beachy sense of melancholy. To me this is close enough. Don't really want or need them to make another Lifeblood or have a third go at the THB sound. It's kinda perfect, really.

Imagine if it happened with RIF? I've nothing against RIF but it woulda sucked a bit...

Also, you know what then going nr 1 makes me feel like? A tiny little bit less of a rock (long pause) and roll relic. Fuuuck I've been feeling like I'm not 36 but 36 thousand years old these last 3-4 years. As band based music has finally totally vanished from the world. RIF (although, as I keep repeating, it wasn't a bad album) made me feel mega old in my rockiness. And my rockiness isn't the SATT/GT thing, don't like that kind of stuff really. I like bands because they sound bigger than one person, and because I like groups not individual showboats. But the rock sound I don't care for. My thing is groups of artist achieving novel and great emotional highs together -- bands pushing their sound. Ultra Vivid Lament is that. So personally I'm very happy.

Also the album sounds so nice today after that win. That little sparkle suits it.
Old 18-09-2021, 17:24
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
It's not Lifeblood but it's not that far away from it either.
No, it’s really not. As discussed previously it’s kinda like the machine learning of manics albums after being tasked with listening to the back catalogue. I’ve thought for a while they are softening on lifeblood and I’d offer up some choice moments on tuvl as evidence, your honour.

Just saw this and it hit me in the feels.

https://twitter.com/Manics/status/1438981791617011713
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 18-09-2021, 17:41
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
No, it’s really not. As discussed previously it’s kinda like the machine learning of manics albums after being tasked with listening to the back catalogue. I’ve thought for a while they are softening on lifeblood and I’d offer up some choice moments on tuvl as evidence, your honour.

Just saw this and it hit me in the feels.

https://twitter.com/Manics/status/1438981791617011713
Look at them. Look at our boys ❤️
Old 18-09-2021, 18:07
Bored out of my mind

I'd resigned myself to them being defeated by the smallest of margins so finding out the album was No 1 was just brilliant!
Old 18-09-2021, 19:26

Lots of stuff had to align for this miracle.
Great effort from the guys,
But also good planing on release date.
Nicky smartly dodged Drake and Iron Maiden,
And picked better rivals for Sep10th.

Good stuff Nicky
Old 18-09-2021, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
Look at them. Look at our boys ❤️
♥️ from me too
Old 18-09-2021, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
Also, you know what then going nr 1 makes me feel like? A tiny little bit less of a rock (long pause) and roll relic. Fuuuck I've been feeling like I'm not 36 but 36 thousand years old these last 3-4 years. As band based music has finally totally vanished from the world. RIF (although, as I keep repeating, it wasn't a bad album) made me feel mega old in my rockiness.
Yeah, I'm with you on that. I actually like a fair bit of pop stuff (although more in what's generally considered "alt pop", most of my favourite pop artists still seem to do better on albums than singles), but I think the lack of bands in the singles charts is bleak, if only because it means there's less variety. As someone who got into music in the mid '90s when the top 40 would have a load of pop, hip-hop and r&b stuff, but also instrumental dance music, metal, pop-punk, various shades of indie and some electronic oddities like FSOL, The Orb and such, it's sad to see it being so homogenous in comparison these days.

It's a long-term symptom of the internet and what started with Napster - so many people would buy a single for the lead track alone that the onset of downloads so quickly killed off the physical single that labels would be less inclined to release them, leading to fans like us no longer needing to go out and buy the new single for the b-sides, and thus our kinds of music disappeared from the charts. Effectively the charts have become about what your more casual music fan is streaming than a broad consensus of what singles people of all tastes are fans of.

That said, the album chart is at least reasonable still. Regardless of taste, there are a lot of traditional 'rock' artists who get to number one. Last year the UK had number one albums from Blossoms, Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbot, 5 Seconds of Summer, Liam Gallagher, Bob Dylan, Haim, Paul Weller, Biffy Clyro, The Killers, The Rolling Stones, Doves, Idles, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC and Paul McCartney. This year so far there's been You Me at Six, Bring Me the Horizon, Foo Fighters, Mogwai, Architects, Kings of Leon, Ben Howard, The Snuts, Royal Blood, Paul Weller, Wolf Alice, Noel Gallagher, Inhaler and The Killers. It might not be quite the quality of what we had from the early '90s to the early '00s, but people with guitars are still selling well.
Old 19-09-2021, 11:40
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
That said, the album chart is at least reasonable still. Regardless of taste, there are a lot of traditional 'rock' artists who get to number one. Last year the UK had number one albums from Blossoms, Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbot, 5 Seconds of Summer, Liam Gallagher, Bob Dylan, Haim, Paul Weller, Biffy Clyro, The Killers, The Rolling Stones, Doves, Idles, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC and Paul McCartney. This year so far there's been You Me at Six, Bring Me the Horizon, Foo Fighters, Mogwai, Architects, Kings of Leon, Ben Howard, The Snuts, Royal Blood, Paul Weller, Wolf Alice, Noel Gallagher, Inhaler and The Killers. It might not be quite the quality of what we had from the early '90s to the early '00s, but people with guitars are still selling well.
Something else noteworthy: The Killers sold 25,000 to get their No.1 last month. What a scalp that would have been. The band they’re supporting next year.

TUVL is still at 2 on Amazon and 3 on iTunes. Nicky wasted his time going on all those cooking programmes over the years. KEKW.