Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 10-09-2021, 21:25
I am purity, they call me perverted

TUVL: second thoughts….

I raced trough the album the other day and felt flat and disappointed.
Today I listened…………. Diapause………..oh my heart.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:01

Glad to hear at least one of the initial bounce-offs is coming around It's just the kind of album I like from them. A strong concept with atmosphere, melancholy and strangeness. And yeah, Diapause has immense vocals. Reminds me of I'm Not Working in the best possible way.

Anyone else coming around to this after first getting repelled?
Old 11-09-2021, 09:03
Doors slowly closing

I might have been a tad harsh on the lyrics a week ago. It could well be Nicky’s best batch in quite a while.

Even so there’s nothing here to match up to the beauty of ABBA’s new song about what it’s like to be last year’s iPhone when this year’s model is unveiled.

And now you see another me, I've been reloaded, yeah
I'm fired up, don't shut me down
I'm like a dream within a dream that's been decoded
I'm fired up, I'm hot, don't shut me down
I'm not the one you knew
I'm now and then combined
And I'm asking you to have an open mind (And I won't be the same)
I'm not the same this time around (Ooh)
I'm fired up, don't shut me down

Some battles you just can’t win. Nicky should have never come to this town.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:01
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Second blasted through has got me liking Quest For Ancient Colour more.
Get the joke of Afterending lyric expressing lament followed by la la la insensitive to plight.
The Manics have made a PARTY album!!
Old 11-09-2021, 17:46

As per, my unrealistic preconceptions of every album have always been wrong. We really are the worst fans in the world and excactly what they deserve. The album is beautiful. I wish i could articulate the way others do on thia site because i would be writing an immense amount of posts and reviews.
I am so proud of them and what they have become and are becoming…………..
Old 11-09-2021, 19:18
An imitation of dignity

I very much like ‘Still Snowing in Sapporo’.

It’s almost as though they recycled & retooled the chorus of ‘S.Y.M.M.’ so it wouldn’t be forever wasted on a backwards-sucking dirge.
1997: Aston Villa Leisure Centre, Brighton Centre, Reading Rivermead, Royal Albert Hall, Reading Festival.
1998: Hereford Leisure Centre, Exeter Arena, Wembley Arena, Cardiff Arena.
1999: V Festival
2002: Brixton Academy
2009: London Forum
2014: London Roundhouse x 3
2021: Portsmouth Guildhall
Old 11-09-2021, 21:07
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
Anyone else coming around to this after first getting repelled?
I wouldn't say repelled at all, though i just kinda dismissed it a bit but the haunted vocals, the weird instrumentation like a howling wind in the background, the lifeblood synth, that lovely little guitar solo and his voice coming in, the uplifting last chorus... just lovely but so very melancholic in that special sauce kind of way only the manics can do.

Edit: I'm referring to diapause specifically of course. What a track.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.

Last edited by Tim; 12-09-2021 at 00:12.
Old 11-09-2021, 21:14
I live to fall asleep

Love it. Really love it.
Old 13-09-2021, 09:57
Freed from the century

After feeling a bit 'meh' with it from the first listen, I gave it another couple of plays while decorating. I think it's a really good album, and one I'll still play after the whole record cycle has been and gone (which isn't something I can say about RIF).

Also listened to the demos, and kinda love them more. Which is the first time I've really felt like that with a Manics demos disc. I much prefer the demo of versions of 'Quest for Ancient Colour' and 'Complicated Illusions'
Old 13-09-2021, 13:49
Born to end

First 2 listens it was so bland. Then I thought I *got* it. Then nope, back to boring. Just played tracks out of order and it sounded much better! That's it, the tracklisting is all wrong!
Old 13-09-2021, 19:14
Winterlover

It's very rich in melody this album, which is why various songs pop up in my internal playlist.
I do genuinely love the heart of darkness that is diapause but afterending has a very twisted sense of humour and may be too on the nose but it's great, with some memorable lines. The past year has felt like we're all sailing into the abyss at times but let's have a little sing song and bash some pots and pans while we do, eh? Clapping for a crumbling state that's slowly being dismantled piece by piece by the fucking tories...
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 14-09-2021, 01:59

Great album. Strong form.
I feel like younger people or new fans should like this as well.
There is nothing on the market like this.
Old 14-09-2021, 07:06
I live to fall asleep

Woke up with the Diapause chorus in my head today. So many earworms. Lifeblood will always be the best Winter album, but TUVL will be up there as well.
Old 14-09-2021, 08:57
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Woke up with the Diapause chorus in my head today. So many earworms. Lifeblood will always be the best Winter album, but TUVL will be up there as well.
I think TUVL is what I wanted Futurology to be - not a winter album as such but a better companion to Lifeblood (and perhaps TGW too) in terms of aesthetic.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 14-09-2021, 09:25
Under neon loneliness

A lot of it still sounds like total garbage to me, but Orwellian and Happy Bored Alone have definitely grown on me a lot, Orwellian gets stuck in my head, HBA I can hear shades of JFPL in. Afterending is also alright, but a bit anticlimactic as a closer.

Overall the quality of the lyrics is really low compared to the Manics albums I still listen to (eg everything up to JFPL). Not convinced I can ever forgive Into The Waves Of Love however, which is the purest cringe I can imagine. Blank Diary Entry just does not work, Lanegan is wasted on it and it just doesn't fit together. The demo works, and as others have suggested Wire could have filled that space very well, for once. Generally, I wish they'd ditch their stupid duets*, LBN and YLAINE are the only two where I feel the second voice has really added something of value, complemented JDB well and "fit in" with the overall sound - for me. It's also pretty tragic what they did to Still Snowing In Sapporo from demo to album, but the (much better) demo has unlocked the track for me somewhat.

For the existence of some decent tracks... I'd probably no longer rank this my least favourite of their albums (hello again PFAYM). However as noted in another thread... I currently enjoy the demos a lot more than the majority of the album tracks.

*Are the duets there to expose them to new audiences or make more sales? Julia Cumming/Mark Lanegan (in this instance) completionists/fans picking up the album or track?

Last edited by tzb; 14-09-2021 at 09:53.