Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 04-07-2014, 23:51
Knowlede Is Power

Some of the bass lines sound brilliant on this record

Chelsmford V99
Reading + Leeds 2001
Manchester Apollo 2001
Manchester MEN (Hits)2002
Manchester MEN 2004
Preston guildhall 2005
Winter WonderLand 2006
Gmex 2007
Blackburn St George 2010
Ritz Manchester 2014
Cardiff Castle 2015
SWANSEA LIBERTY 2016
Times Square 2017
Manchester arena 2018
Halifax Piece Hall 2021

Old 04-07-2014, 23:58
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
So I'm the only one who just flat-out loves the new album?

I'm okay with that!
Nope, I'm getting that way too
Old 05-07-2014, 00:00
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladstone View Post
I'm listening to the album now for the first time, loving it toooo
Old 05-07-2014, 00:20
Knowlede Is Power

I've listened about 20 times and it's definitey top 3!
Headphones are a must - it evokes a lot of different moods - I fucking love it as it's exactly what I wanted.
I'm not trying to start anything but I really don't understand what some people want?!
OK nobody will like everything - but my god when there's hate there's hate on here and it comes across as quite bullying into making others tone down their love for an album.

I honestly believe that unless Richeys involved somehow then this band can do no right in some peoples eyes! That's is my major gripe - they really just ain't THB band anymore and only ever were once.
Doesn't anyone remember a little album called Generation Terrorists? It was fuck all like THB - surely every album they've done is a Manics album?!!
Old 05-07-2014, 00:32
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldistortion View Post
I've listened about 20 times and it's definitey top 3!
Headphones are a must - it evokes a lot of different moods - I fucking love it as it's exactly what I wanted.
I'm not trying to start anything but I really don't understand what some people want?!
OK nobody will like everything - but my god when there's hate there's hate on here and it comes across as quite bullying into making others tone down their love for an album.

I honestly believe that unless Richeys involved somehow then this band can do no right in some peoples eyes! That's is my major gripe - they really just ain't THB band anymore and only ever were once.
Doesn't anyone remember a little album called Generation Terrorists? It was fuck all like THB - surely every album they've done is a Manics album?!!
My thoughts exactly, I see comments on YouTube about people moaning about THB. THB is an one time album, and they can't do it again, and no other band can ever get close to what they've done back in 1994, in my eyes Futurology is a wonderful album, a solid 8.5/10. I know that not everyone will like it, but come on, THB was 20 years ago, their not the same band anymore, and to have a career of almost 30 years like they have and still do something like this, I think it's remarkable. It's my opinion.
Old 05-07-2014, 00:33

Some posters have been around too long. They hang around out of habit but they stopped being fans a long time ago. To them everything is shit, and if the gloss has faded to such an extent on the back catalog then new work is hardly going to stand a chance is it.

Like the dude who has grown to look back and see Nicks and Richeys lyrics get worse and worse to the stage where they are now terrible. Wake up, the words haven't changed... But you have....and that's fine, just don't torture yourself and move on.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:00

Didn't expect all that in the past x number of pages. And it can't necessarily be a bad thing if there are very strong reactions on either side, can it? If it illicits an ecstatic or a very negative response, then the band will have done their job in some ways as opposed to the sigh of 'meh' that probably met Postcards as soon as it was released.

Not suggesting they are the same record, but how exactly was THB perceived after it was released? Or even EMG?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:49
I live to fall asleep

Listened a few times now and I think it's a solid album . The band have yet again reinvented themselves which I find amazing.

The last time I saw Paris is possibly the best song.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:53
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb View Post
Why did they waste time getting Green Gartside in to do guest vocals when James could just have sucked on a helium balloon?
JDB explained the reasoning behind guest vocalists on various occasions. This one works a treat, all the more so because it has no right to work at all.

It reminds me of when the Wire wrote a song for the Lightning Seeds. What would be just another "I'm so bored" lyric in JDB's hands sounds fresh in someone else's. I don't think JDB could sell me that opening couplet like Green does.

I even felt the need to go off and listen to some latterday Scritti Politti for dessert. Never been a fan of theirs but White Bread Black Beer is a good accompaniment to BTCATB. A better accompaniment than SPLAM anyway.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:23

I really can't get enough of this album. With the bonus tracks it does feel like a great 16 track album to me.

I think Sex, power, love and money does stick out from the rest of the album but it is a dumb fun song that puts a smile on your face.

Im finding it hard to pick a favourite track at the moment. Im just enjoying the album as a whole.

Easily one of my favourite manics albums ever
Old 05-07-2014, 08:25
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcheese View Post
Didn't expect all that in the past x number of pages. And it can't necessarily be a bad thing if there are very strong reactions on either side, can it? If it illicits an ecstatic or a very negative response, then the band will have done their job in some ways as opposed to the sigh of 'meh' that probably met Postcards as soon as it was released.

Not suggesting they are the same record, but how exactly was THB perceived after it was released? Or even EMG?
It used to take months for a reaction as we sent carrier pigeons with fanzines to each other. The pigeons avoided the need to leave the house and post letters.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:52
I live to fall asleep

Listening now to the demos.

SPLAM, Moscow and Stow Hill demos are miles better for me. Love Nicky singing the chorus of SPLAM!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:10
Bored of being bored

The demo of Sex, Power, Love and Money reminds me of Suede, for some reason. I think it's the way Nicky sings 'money'. That demo of Let's Go To War ain't very developed, is it? Anyway, most of the album is better than the demos, with the possible exception of Divine Youth.
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:11
Born to end

That's why l love Bowie , u2, minds, and the manics they havent tried same thing for each level. For Next step they should take anaother influence on their way. Or how we had the holy bible if they did GT2 or GATS2? Music is journay that is influenced by others and influences the others.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:16
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladstone View Post
I'm there