Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 23-06-2010, 10:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

Question Anthony Melder

I was looking through a load of the quotes on Manics.nl and came across this from Anthony Melder that was used on the Little Baby Nothing single:

Quote:
We are nothing, no-one. In search of kicks they can never give us. A three hundred and sixty degree circle dome of emptiness surrounds us. We are doomed forever to be addicted to a fatal germ of hatred for ourselves. Our redemption can be nothing but torment and pain. A thin clingy film of uncomfortable sweat covers us. The film covers our ears, our eyes, our mouths, our noses. We cannot move, think, feel. Utterly trapped in the gridlock of theories and concepts, there is no escape. You are a fraud, I am a fraud, you are a failure. I am a failure. You are condemned. I am condemned. Conditioned, controlled and condemned. Your life is just a single grain of sand in a vast desert. Live or die, it doesn't matter. The icy winds that blow carry nothing but hopelessness, worthlessness, pointlessness, misery. The more you just exist, just survive, just are, the more your soul erodes, the more you become an empty shell, a walking corpse. In short, the more you live, the less intelligent you become. Hate your life, love your death. Accept everything. Be used. Boredom is bliss.
A perfect Richey-esque quote. Does anyone know anything more about Anthony Melder? I've googled everything I can think of to try and get some info and the most I can find is the Manics.nl page I've linked above. Another quote of his appears on a band's Myspace page, which is:

Quote:
"We will wake up one morning with fresh eyes and see that we have nothing but a collection of useless relics of a civilisation we hate."
Any ideas where I can get more info on Anthony Melder?
Old 23-06-2010, 16:52
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Found this, from here (appears to be from 1993): http://www.hack.org/mc/mirror/www.sp...8/sp000769.txt
Quote:
NO FUTURE unnumbered/undated (Anthony Melder, 21a Warley Hill,
Brentwood, Essex CM14 5HR, England) is an unpaginated zine
exploring the topography of contemporary alienation Slogans like
"Don't be happy - just worry" and "I am not a target market" line
the tops and bottoms of each page. Check this out. Send a
contribution for a sample copy.

I wonder what year that particular one is from? The Manics would totally be interested in something with Sonic on the cover, of course, on top of the quoteables.

Can't seem to find information on the fellow apart from that though, alas.

Last edited by MarilynRoxie; 23-06-2010 at 16:58.
Old 23-06-2010, 21:00
Born to end

I have that edition of No Future! And all the others, including stuff like Paki Revolution and Kylie: Pure as a Dolphin that he did too. Anthony was (or is, we lost touch years ago and I've been unable to track him down) an unbelievably intelligent young man who wrote and wrote and wrote, and photocopied what he wrote and sold it as fanzines back in the early nineties. As I've mentioned in another thread, I used to run a fanzine too (The Scream), and knew him through that network. We wrote to each other (this was long before email) for years and wrote for each others' fanzines. I have pages and pages of stuff he wrote - like Richey, it just poured out of him, and it was brilliant. I can't remember now how the Manics first found him - could well have been that he just sent them a copy of No Future back in the early days.

Hope that helps a little

Lulu
xx
Old 24-06-2010, 17:21
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Ah, wow, that is all rather intriguing! Does anyone have any scans of this stuff? I'd be curious to read more.
Old 30-06-2010, 07:47
I am purity, they call me perverted

Great work MarilynRoxie and and lampandbook. I suppose this is now the only other place on the internet that has a record of him.

lampandbook - is there any chance you could scan in some of No Future if we all ask very nicely?