Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-05-2010, 21:07
I am purity, they call me perverted

They can't close ! I haven't got the chance to go there yet

FacebooK
Old 18-05-2010, 07:45
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocultureicons View Post
On the corner of Corporation Street / Bull Street

Tempest was one of the best record shops in the UK, I will miss it so.
Guy who runs the punk floor is opening a store in the Oasis Market though so I can still buy my vinyl there
Old 20-05-2010, 10:23
Mr Msppedia

Not that these things make much of a difference usually but a petition has been started to save it

http://www.petitiononline.com/SaveSR/petition.html
Old 20-05-2010, 11:42
Doors slowly closing

Name Comments
656. dexter fielding keep it open, great place!

You've signed, now let your friends know on Twitter.

656 Signatures Total
Old 20-05-2010, 12:02
I live to fall asleep

I'm so sad about this. Spillers has such a fantastic record and history, it would be awful for them to have to move or close. I really hope something can be done about this.

All the independent record shops are going and it's part of musical history. The programme on Radio 2 with Pete Waterman is covering this issue, wonder if getting in touch would help especially if it was covered on Radio 2 with national support?

I really hope the Manics get involved and try to save Spillers. A gig would be a good idea and could certainly help. Reckon we all need to try and help.
Old 20-05-2010, 12:15
I live to fall asleep

Just signed up and encourage everyone to do the same. If everyone on FD sign we could really help, especially if we encourage lots of other people to help too.

COME ON EVERYONE LETS TRY TO STOP THIS HAPPENING. Cultural heritage is much more important than money!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 20:30
I am purity, they call me perverted

They can't close Spillers. I bought my 10th Anniversary Holy Bible in there!! It was my pilgrimage!! It has a nice plaque and a nice selection of Sonic Youth albums in there. If it closes I'm setting up an armed resistance group with Sean Moore to protect our record shops in Bristol. Plastic Wax will be heavily defended....
Old 21-06-2010, 11:06
Mr Msppedia

Quote:
Oldest record shop ready for move

Nick Todd has kept Spillers Records open against the odds

Spillers Records - founded in 1894 - has been hailed as a 'lifeline' by the Manic Street Preachers who say it's where they got their musical education.

But rising city centre rents mean the store will open its doors on The Hayes for the final time on Saturday.

Spillers is moving around the corner to temporary premises in the Royal Arcade pending a more permanent solution.

Owner Nick Todd had previously put Spillers up for sale in 2006 but has continued to run the shop following public campaigns to save it from closure.

Spillers has been a mecca for music fans and bands alike for decades
Staff have been inundated by messages of support from customers during recent weeks of uncertainty.

They include a poem from a friend of Mr Todd who he hadn't heard from for more than 40 years until he visited the shop last week.

The original store was opened by Henry Spiller in the Queen's Arcade in Cardiff in 1894, selling music on wax cylinders and shellac discs.

Spillers moved to its present location in the late 1940s where it has become a mecca for fans and musicians alike.

Super Furry Animals, Cerys Matthews, the Coral and the Zutons are among the musicians who have regularly visited the store
Old 21-06-2010, 13:51
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Tempest was one of the best record shops in the UK, I will miss it so.
Guy who runs the punk floor is opening a store in the Oasis Market though so I can still buy my vinyl there
Isn't the Oasis closing down soon though?
Old 21-06-2010, 18:38
Bored out of my mind

At least Spillers isn't closing down, YET! Just moving. Phew!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 21-06-2010, 19:03
Builder of routine

I had a look at their website last week and it said that part of it's online business was closed while they moved but i forgot to say i'd seen it. Good stuff...i still have time to visit even if it isnt in its original home.
Old 21-06-2010, 22:04
Winterlover

Popped in today and they confirm Saturday is indeed the last day trading at the shop they've been in for 60 years. They'll find out exactly where they're moving to on wednesday, in 2 days. For those who know the area, it's likely to be either the Morgan or Castle Arcades. Should re-open at the new premises sometime in early July.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 21-06-2010, 22:09
Mr Msppedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Popped in today and they confirm Saturday is indeed the last day trading at the shop they've been in for 60 years. They'll find out exactly where they're moving to on wednesday, in 2 days. For those who know the area, it's likely to be either the Morgan or Castle Arcades. Should re-open at the new premises sometime in early July.
Ah that's not too far! Won't miss too much passing trade, both are pretty busy.
Old 23-06-2010, 17:37
Winterlover

The Manics are supporting Macca in Cardiff on Saturday. Spillers is having its last day at its historic location on Saturday. The Manics love Spillers.

I am so popping in there at some point as I'm sure they will too. Impromptu acoustic set anyone?! Wild speculation but I don't think they could resist.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 23-06-2010, 20:35
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
The Manics are supporting Macca in Cardiff on Saturday. Spillers is having its last day at its historic location on Saturday. The Manics love Spillers.

I am so popping in there at some point as I'm sure they will too. Impromptu acoustic set anyone?! Wild speculation but I don't think they could resist.
Could well be, give us a setlist if they do!