Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 15-08-2017, 18:33
Doors slowly closing

I'm feeling too casual to go
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 29-08-2017, 14:43
Born to end

Apparently I haven't logged in since Jan 2011... crazy. Place seems a bit down on energy though compared to then.

Anyway, I'm going to this, is there a meet-up in the in pipeline at all?
Old 30-08-2017, 19:57
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddyshilling View Post
Well I'm looking forward to it anyway. I don't need anyone to validate my feelings. Please feel free to ignore me and get on with your lives. Hey, it's all the rage. My only friends have already abandoned me, so it's all good. Join them. Never mind that to me, being a Manics fan used to feel like I was part of something. I'll go and see them. I'll enjoy it. You decide how you need to disregard me. It's no skin off my nose.

Peace out!
It's nowt personal just there's no bugger about most days

Hope you're not relying on the trains
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 01-09-2017, 15:05
Bored of being bored

When does it become obligatory for young girls to turn upto festivals wearing wellies and miniscule shorts?

Hoping they defy the summer set lists and hit them with some thing off the holy bible
Old 01-09-2017, 22:52
I am purity, they call me perverted

Just got back from Bingley.
Great show on the whole; James was on great form. Nicky slightly subdued.
I go to Bingley every year, and that's the biggest audience I've seen for a Friday night.
Not sure about the streamers and tics-tape though...
Old 01-09-2017, 23:58
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
https://mobile.twitter.com/seanmoore...874176/photo/1

Set list from Sean's Twitter. Only problem is This Is The Day, and that's only because I'd prefer one of their own songs. Walk Me To The Bridge is a staple! And even Show Me The Wonder sounded better when I saw them live last year.
Glad everyone on here who went had a great one!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:13
Bored of being bored

Well, despite my worries of the make up of the crowd and fearss that it'd end up being three rows of diehard manics fans and everyone else getting bored the crowd seemed more up for it than I can remember at a Manics gig in quite a while.

Set list wise things were rather predictable (James also threw Raindrops in to the acoustic section from the published set list), but it was thoroughly enjoyable throughout.

James mentioned as they left the stage about seeing us again at Easter, so presumably new album and tour in the new year....
Old 02-09-2017, 08:16
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
When does it become obligatory for young girls to turn upto festivals wearing wellies and miniscule shorts?

Hoping they defy the summer set lists and hit them with some thing off the holy bible
I was there with some old school friends and we noticed how young the audience looked. During the Manics set a few of them kept walking past us out of the crowd looking very confused, and one girl near us shouted "change the song!!" during Ocean Spray. It was amusing seeing them try to dance and mosh. Maybe it'll have gained them some new young fans?

Really enjoyed the set though, I think it was the first time I'd heard My Little Empire & Raindrops live which was great.
01/06/15 - Wolverhampton Civic Hall
Old 02-09-2017, 10:30
Bored of being bored

One other thing to mention, not sure if it's the norm for festivals these days but at the side of the stage (for all the main stage acts), was someone translating all the song lyrics into sign language (handy for all the deaf music fans!)

Was always amusing watching what Manics lyrics looked like in sign, although a shame so few Richey lyrics were performed!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:42
Born to end

That was fun. Seemed to be a fair few fans around us in front of the sound desk.

Bridge and No Surface sounded sublime. Nice to see Masses get the acoustic treatment.

Agreed James full of energy Nicky subdued.

Nice setting and a 90 minute set good for festival.
Glastonbury Festival 1999
Leeds Festival, 2001
Ruisrock Festival, Finland 2003
The Refectory, Leeds, 2007
Leeds Academy, 2010
King Georges Hall, Blackburn 2010
Sziget Festival, Hungary 2011
The Arena, London, 2011
The Ritz, Manchester 2013
Leeds Arena, 2014
Albert Hall, Manchester 2014
Leeds Arena 2016
Bingley Music Live 2017
Old 02-09-2017, 17:01
Stretched out in the sun

Decent performance from the lads, as safe a set as you can expect for a festival, nice to see My Little Empire, Indian Summer, Send Away The Tigers and This Is The Day for the first time in 6/7 years. Nicky seemed subdued, didn't say a word and looked like he couldn't wait to get off stage. Understandable, really.

Wasn't really impressed with the festival overall mind. I only wanted to see Manics anyway, so didn't mind staying in pub with half festival price pints. Wife wanted to see Maximo Park so headed over with the intention of getting in in time for them. Course I understand the need for vigilance given the spate of terrorist attacks recently, but thought the security on entry was a bit over the top, didn't notice any security on the inside until we were trying to get out which was a hell of a struggle. Out of hundreds of concerts and festivals, yesterday was the first time I've been told to empty my pockets, and the first time I've seen children being frisked, and men being frisked by women and women being frisked by men. Is that even legal?
Old 02-09-2017, 21:54
Bored out of my mind

Actually really enjoyed this one, after a couple of not-so-great Manics gigs recently. This one and Bristol were definitely my favourites of the band's summer festival appearances I've been to.

It's not the most organised of festivals I've been to and seemed a bit like they'd over-stretched themselves compared to when we went a few years ago (think they increased capacity of the festival this year and didn't allow re-admittance when they have in the past) and Bingley seems like quite a random place to hold a festival in the first place. Also, why have a park and ride service that starts 2 hours after the gates open? Luckily we managed to find some long stay parking in Bingley that only cost £3.50 and we were actually quite glad we didn't have to join the masses waiting for a park and ride bus afterwards. We got out quite quickly in the end really, although the crowd control coming out was next to non-existent; we and many others ended up climbing up a banking of foliage and through some trees with very little lighting, because the crowd in front of us just came to a complete stand still. Not the safest way to exit a festival, but there we are.

Anyway...I really enjoyed the Manics themselves. I wasn't expecting any surprises on the setlist (they've been playing This is the Day at all the recent summer festivals by the way), although Raindrops was a nice impromptu addition (it wasn't on the paper setlist) and rather apt, given how much it pissed it down during the support acts! I've enjoyed hearing SATT again at the last couple of gigs too.

Loved James talking about his Easter holiday to Yorkshire. We were up in the Yorkshire Dales that weekend and went to Ilkley on the same day someone on Twitter spotted him in Booths in Ilkley! I remember being rather sadly excited about that at the time It also sounded like he went to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, which is like 5-10 minutes away from my house! We could have given him the guided tour Nicky understandably quiet again, although he seemed to be moving about a lot and jumping etc.

As for the other bands...it was actually quite strange seeing Maximo Park again, as I used to love them 10+ years ago when I was at uni and went to see them a couple of times back then. I lost track of them after their third album, so didn't know any of their recent stuff, but they were quite good. Twin Atlantic did absolutely nothing for me (I felt like the lead singer really loved himself, what with the crotch thrusting into the front row when he came down off the stage...lovely). Cabbage just amused me...well it was more the crowd throwing an actual cabbage towards the front and having it confiscated by the security that amused me

I was expecting a lot of the crowd to be young at this festival, as they were last time we went too. It makes for a very bizarre atmosphere, which I can only liken to a gig being crossed with a kid's disco/birthday party. There was a mosh pit of children a few rows back who were just going mad for anything and everything the DJ played in between bands. Seriously, there were young girls screaming like they were at a One Direction concert or something when it was just a shit dance track being played over the speakers. I would love to know what they all thought of the Manics. Which reminds me, when we were queuing to be let in just before the gates opened, there was a group of some of these young girls stood behind us dressed in barely more than bras and what looked like tin foil skirts...one of them had spotted someone wearing the 'Who's Responsible? You Fucking Are' t-shirt and relayed to her friends that it said 'Who's to blame? Fucking you' (or words to that effect). Bless

The crowd were alright round me for the Manics though; lively but not violent like at Newcastle. I don't mind a bit of pushing and people jumping around enjoying themselves, so that was a big improvement to last time. I actually quite liked the band being on at 8pm with a 9:30pm curfew too, as it meant we got home at a more reasonable time (yes I'm old ).

I must admit I'm looking forward to the band going back to doing their own gigs indoors though and am looking forward to the Roundhouse next month. Also sounded like James said "See you next Easter", so I guess the new album/tour will be due around then. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing some new material after the last few years of re-issues etc.

I'll post a few of my photos shortly, although didn't take too many this time.
Old 02-09-2017, 22:05
Bored out of my mind

A few photos:

Old 03-09-2017, 09:40
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
Actually really enjoyed this one, after a couple of not-so-great Manics gigs recently. This one and Bristol were definitely my favourites of the band's summer festival appearances I've been to.

It's not the most organised of festivals I've been to and seemed a bit like they'd over-stretched themselves compared to when we went a few years ago (think they increased capacity of the festival this year and didn't allow re-admittance when they have in the past) and Bingley seems like quite a random place to hold a festival in the first place. Also, why have a park and ride service that starts 2 hours after the gates open? Luckily we managed to find some long stay parking in Bingley that only cost £3.50 and we were actually quite glad we didn't have to join the masses waiting for a park and ride bus afterwards. We got out quite quickly in the end really, although the crowd control coming out was next to non-existent; we and many others ended up climbing up a banking of foliage and through some trees with very little lighting, because the crowd in front of us just came to a complete stand still. Not the safest way to exit a festival, but there we are.

Anyway...I really enjoyed the Manics themselves. I wasn't expecting any surprises on the setlist (they've been playing This is the Day at all the recent summer festivals by the way), although Raindrops was a nice impromptu addition (it wasn't on the paper setlist) and rather apt, given how much it pissed it down during the support acts! I've enjoyed hearing SATT again at the last couple of gigs too.

Loved James talking about his Easter holiday to Yorkshire. We were up in the Yorkshire Dales that weekend and went to Ilkley on the same day someone on Twitter spotted him in Booths in Ilkley! I remember being rather sadly excited about that at the time It also sounded like he went to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, which is like 5-10 minutes away from my house! We could have given him the guided tour Nicky understandably quiet again, although he seemed to be moving about a lot and jumping etc
Booths? Should get himself down to the Riverside bar right on the river with the dogs.....need more tempting? Chippy right alongside
Bettys? Aye. Though bit posh. Hem. I've been in once. All rammed in, always the risk that when you push your chair back you'll end up with whoever's behind you wearing their tea and scone. Don't think they do egg n chips
I love Myrtle Park too when it's not being trampled on by the hordes, ha ha, some lovely walks up and above
Yours
Yorkshire Tourist Board
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 05-09-2017, 06:55
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Booths? Should get himself down to the Riverside bar right on the river with the dogs.....need more tempting? Chippy right alongside
Bettys? Aye. Though bit posh. Hem. I've been in once. All rammed in, always the risk that when you push your chair back you'll end up with whoever's behind you wearing their tea and scone. Don't think they do egg n chips
I love Myrtle Park too when it's not being trampled on by the hordes, ha ha, some lovely walks up and above
Yours
Yorkshire Tourist Board
After the ball ache of getting in and out on Friday, even though we had weekend tickets we didn't bother going back. Went up to Haworth instead, lovely.

I love that James tours the world and holidays in Yorkshire and North Wales. On the Journal For Plague Lovers tour at Llandudno James threw a faux-strop about turning 40, and said he'd come up to Llandudno for a holiday then.