Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 26-02-2011, 09:37
I am purity, they call me perverted

I'm probably in a minority (not for the first time), but I actually think SATT is as close to a perfect album as the manics have done. There's no 'turds' on it (for example, Love of Richard Nixon, Wattsville Blues), it's just them enjoying themselves, and IMO righting the wrong of Lifeblood.

As for Indian Summer, yes, the time signature and tempo are the same as ADFL, but does that make PCP the same as Suicide Alley? It's a great track, and yes, the Instrumental version is superb as well.
16/12/98 Wembley Arena, 23/05/07 Norwich UEA, 17/10/10 Norwich UEA, 22/01/11 Brixton Academy, 19/05/11 Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 17/12/11 London 02 Arena, 24/09/13 Shepherd's Bush Empire, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montford Hall, 16/05/16 Royal Albert Hall

Twitter: @DamonCorless
Old 26-02-2011, 10:14
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkie308 View Post
I'm probably in a minority (not for the first time), but I actually think SATT is as close to a perfect album as the manics have done. There's no 'turds' on it (for example, Love of Richard Nixon, Wattsville Blues), it's just them enjoying themselves, and IMO righting the wrong of Lifeblood.

As for Indian Summer, yes, the time signature and tempo are the same as ADFL, but does that make PCP the same as Suicide Alley? It's a great track, and yes, the Instrumental version is superb as well.
I love SATT and will listen to the entire album without skipping a track. Well apart from the pointless 'secret' track of Working Class hero of course!
Old 26-02-2011, 11:33
I live to fall asleep

I've always loved 'Indian Summer'. Lyrically it's a highlight of a really barren album, and ironically shows what's wrong with the rest of the record - it's a song about the responsibilities of being one of the few political bands out there ('If God persists, persists in saying 'yes'/I guess we'll have, we'll have to test ourselves' and 'I guess we'll have to test/What's darker than ourselves') on an album full of songs about very little (with a couple of notable exceptions).

Musically it really does sound a lot like 'A Design For Life' - sorry, but it does.The 'death march' is very similar, the use of strings almost the same (although 'IS''s have a strangely celtic feel) - there's even the same little guitar rumble sound before the chorus kicks in. But it's still a great song, and one of the few examples on 'SATT' where the strings feel necessary, unlike several others where they've just been thrown over a generic rock song to try to hide the lack of tunes.
Old 26-02-2011, 11:39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
I've always loved 'Indian Summer'. Lyrically it's a highlight of a really barren album, and ironically shows what's wrong with the rest of the record - it's a song about the responsibilities of being one of the few political bands out there ('If God persists, persists in saying 'yes'/I guess we'll have, we'll have to test ourselves' and 'I guess we'll have to test/What's darker than ourselves') on an album full of songs about very little (with a couple of notable exceptions).

Musically it really does sound a lot like 'A Design For Life' - sorry, but it does.The 'death march' is very similar, the use of strings almost the same (although 'IS''s have a strangely celtic feel) - there's even the same little guitar rumble sound before the chorus kicks in. But it's still a great song, and one of the few examples on 'SATT' where the strings feel necessary, unlike several others where they've just been thrown over a generic rock song to try to hide the lack of tunes.

Maybe SATT to others is about "something"?. Just because you harness an opinion that it is a "barren" album lyrically, others may see "something" in the lyrics. That's the beauty of music. You can take what you want from it.
Old 26-02-2011, 11:46
I live to fall asleep

This and The Second Great Depression should be Manics staples in the live set. Especially due to the relevance of TGD.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 26-02-2011, 11:58
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
Maybe SATT to others is about "something"?. Just because you harness an opinion that it is a "barren" album lyrically, others may see "something" in the lyrics.
Well...*duh*. Shall I go and check all your posts to make sure you've written 'in my opinion' before every statement you've made on the forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
That's the beauty of music. You can take what you want from it.
Using such a bland cliche as that doesn't help your argument about recognising depth of meaning.
Old 26-02-2011, 12:01
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
This and The Second Great Depression should be Manics staples in the live set. Especially due to the relevance of TGD.
'TSGD' was always a real let-down for me. I thought it would be political but instead it's just Nick writing vaguely about being miserable. I could cope with the over-blown tune if it matched the lyrics somehow, but it just feels like 'epic by numbers' to me. Having said that, I wouldn't mind them playing it live occasionally, but it has no real relevance to today apart from its title.

In my opinion (just in case).
Old 26-02-2011, 12:03
Banned

Quote:
Well...*duh*. Shall I go and check all your posts to make sure you've written 'in my opinion' before every statement you've made on the forum?

Using such a bland cliche as that doesn't help your argument about recognising depth of meaning.
Ok, there really is no need to sound like, fella. We're all here to have an opinion on something. Rudeness doesn't really have a place. I wasn't attacking you for your opinion just basically reiterating that it's not all black and white with an album. If I've upset you or something then I apologise.
Old 26-02-2011, 12:51
Banned

Quote:
'TSGD' was always a real let-down for me. I thought it would be political but instead it's just Nick writing vaguely about being miserable. I could cope with the over-blown tune if it matched the lyrics somehow, but it just feels like 'epic by numbers' to me. Having said that, I wouldn't mind them playing it live occasionally, but it has no real relevance to today apart from its title.

In my opinion (just in case).
Glad you pointed that out. I would never have guessed...
Old 26-02-2011, 21:18
I am purity, they call me perverted

love Indian summer, but it makes me car sick for some reason whilst driving.
Old 26-02-2011, 21:23
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvedka View Post
love Indian summer, but it makes me car sick for some reason whilst driving.
It's probably the maritime timing it has! (I think it was Simon Price who used that description for Design and IS has a similar sound to it!)
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)