Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 22-04-2018, 17:29
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Ah, back when people bought records

Just checking the album charts for this time in 1992, Right Said Fred were number one, been trying to find out but no joy, dunno how many copies that had to shift to get to number one in 1992. Few more than Greatest Showman, I'd expect..
Ah Right Said Fred....back in the day when music was music and people loved it so much they bought it in 100s of 100s of 1000s.... Now if that doesn't tell you that volume of physical sales tells you nothing about quality I do not know what will

The physical sales are probably all down primarily to older (ish) fans and demented ones, sorry did I type that out loud? I meant collector ones....I've no idea how the charts work now but I guess it's hard to really register every download or increasingly now streamed album......do many listen or stream an entire album rather than just a few songs? Lots of listens which never add up to an album sale whereas in the past you had to buy the CD or cassette listen to it through once then just stick to the few tracks you liked.....cept for the ruddy tapes - fast forward, forward, forwar..., rewind, rewind, re....feck. Which would really be my preference for many albums - the ones you love for every track are very rare so sales don't tell you everything. But sure that might not matter too much for established bands with a big enough following to back that up with lots of press and stadium tours but bands starting out must just have to live in a camper van and tour in any venue they can find but maybe that's been true for a long while, maybe the Manics got lucky and more money does seem to have been invested in bands back in the days of charts but bands could be quickly dropped if they didn't deliver on the expectation....it's maybe long been hard for a band to build up over time and instant fame doesn't do good things for everyone.....I wonder if Nirvana, Amy Winehouse, Jeff Buckley may have fared better with less scrutiny and fame so quick....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Isn't it fun to think about though?
Stranger things

Maybe they'd be like the band Shame....there's a similar attitude there...and though only young their influences are the likes of Iggy, The Fall and Bowie
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson

Last edited by raven; 22-04-2018 at 17:38.
Old 22-04-2018, 19:28
I live to fall asleep

I really like it all - not sure it’s going to break into my top 5 albums but a lot of fun on there. It does feel more like a collection of songs than an album, and you can see the DNA of most of the album in stuff they’ve done in the past. There’s a lot to enjoy here and I hope they play a good chunk of it on the tour.
Old 23-04-2018, 00:04
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralscrutiniser View Post
I really like it all - not sure it’s going to break into my top 5 albums but a lot of fun on there. It does feel more like a collection of songs than an album, and you can see the DNA of most of the album in stuff they’ve done in the past. There’s a lot to enjoy here and I hope they play a good chunk of it on the tour.
See, I too initially thought it sounded like a collection of songs as opposed to an album. After listening for a week or so, I now see it more as an album. of two pretty distinct sides, with the first side ending with Liverpool Revisited.
Old 23-04-2018, 08:26
Winterlover

Have found that this has started to work for me ab it more in the past couple brief days of spring sunshine. Think this'll make for a decent spring/summer soundtrack at this rate.

My bugbears and pet peeves are still there but I guess resistance IS futile...
Old 23-04-2018, 13:02
Administrator

I just wish it all gave me the rush that the opening to International Blue does.
Old 23-04-2018, 13:23
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
I just wish it all gave me the rush that the opening to International Blue does.
Have you heard Mirror Gaze yet? It makes me want to punch the air.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 23-04-2018, 16:09
I live to fall asleep

Doesn't look like it's going to be in the top 10 after this week Hopefully the tour will make a bunch of casual fans pick up the album.
Old 24-04-2018, 20:27
Winterlover

On first listen ....I thought it was disappointing.....on first listen. There are catchy tracks like Dylan & Caitlin but despite taking up the little available space I have in my head for the past 2 weeks it lacks substance we expect from Manics, a relationship damaged by alcohol yet its so light lyrically and musically it just never quite connects .... but.....after a few listens the album overall really gets into your bloodstream. Funny there's been talk about what the band would be like if starting out now and Porco's comment about what would 1986 be if it was 2018... cos this album does have a real 80s feel about it.
Very anthemic, the recognisable melancholy's there threading through but maybe People Give In, the opener I love, sets the tone of finding hope despite everything It is a surprisingly hopeful record.
Liverpool Revisited sounds too simple/easy...on first listen but it works, a paean of hope that's genuinely affecting. In Eternity, another favourite, with its Dylan Thomas nicked lines Dark is a way / Light is a place finds hope in memories left...International Blue is still a true stand out, play it loud ('as long as the music's loud enough we won't hear the world fall apart')...there's a little of Australia in there.....sheer beauty of escape, vast skies, freedom...
In contrast the tribute that is Vivian seems a little lost when it reaches the chorus....& she doesn't seem like a character who'd want her name shouted out....another very 80s feel though....
I feel like I shouldn't like Hold Me Like a Heaven ...get out the lighters & sway along now.woooaah woooargh...but, if they let lighters into gigs, we'll all be swaying along (after a drink or two?) Broken Algorithms takes me back to my metal days Maybe the most/only political in your face track on there....maybe along with Sequels for Forgotten Wars a bit of Generation Terrorists in there too for sure

& maybe memory & the past always seeming to hold more meaning than the present runs through Distant Colours, The Left Behind...I love that line 'The squadron never dies/ falls quickly to demise'...and throughout my probable overall favourite song on there A Song for the Sadness
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 24-04-2018, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
On first listen ....I thought it was disappointing.....on first listen. There are catchy tracks like Dylan & Caitlin but despite taking up the little available space I have in my head for the past 2 weeks it lacks substance we expect from Manics, a relationship damaged by alcohol yet its so light lyrically and musically it just never quite connects .... but.....after a few listens the album overall really gets into your bloodstream. Funny there's been talk about what the band would be like if starting out now and Porco's comment about what would 1986 be if it was 2018... cos this album does have a real 80s feel about it.
Very anthemic, the recognisable melancholy's there threading through but maybe People Give In, the opener I love, sets the tone of finding hope despite everything It is a surprisingly hopeful record.
Liverpool Revisited sounds too simple/easy...on first listen but it works, a paean of hope that's genuinely affecting. In Eternity, another favourite, with its Dylan Thomas nicked lines Dark is a way / Light is a place finds hope in memories left...International Blue is still a true stand out, play it loud ('as long as the music's loud enough we won't hear the world fall apart')...there's a little of Australia in there.....sheer beauty of escape, vast skies, freedom...
In contrast the tribute that is Vivian seems a little lost when it reaches the chorus....& she doesn't seem like a character who'd want her name shouted out....another very 80s feel though....
I feel like I shouldn't like Hold Me Like a Heaven ...get out the lighters & sway along now.woooaah woooargh...but, if they let lighters into gigs, we'll all be swaying along (after a drink or two?) Broken Algorithms takes me back to my metal days Maybe the most/only political in your face track on there....maybe along with Sequels for Forgotten Wars a bit of Generation Terrorists in there too for sure

& maybe memory & the past always seeming to hold more meaning than the present runs through Distant Colours, The Left Behind...I love that line 'The squadron never dies/ falls quickly to demise'...and throughout my probable overall favourite song on there A Song for the Sadness
Great review. Thanks.
Can’t believe how some people are whining about this record, I’m with you on this one.
Old 25-04-2018, 22:26
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Am I the only asshole who thinks of Goodbye Horses everything I hear the verse and chorus for "A song for the Sadness"?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XTs_TZFjbJ8

Stand back, I have political powers!

Last edited by Routine Builder; 25-04-2018 at 22:29.
Old 26-04-2018, 15:12
Doors slowly closing

In Eternity is the biggest slow-burner on the album for me. I think I saw it in a new light when someone pointed out it's a tribute to David Bowie. The lyrics make sense then (mostly).

By the way, on Monday It'll be a month since Amazon leaked the album!
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 26-04-2018, 16:39

This is a feel-good album. The more I listen to it, the more it makes me happy, putting a smile on my face.

Which is odd coming from the band that made Holy Bible...
Old 26-04-2018, 19:23

After two weeks I can say this is a SATT / PFAYM I can listen to. The last great phase of the Manics continues. This does not dip considerably from the height of RTF / Futurology. To anyone who didn't like SATT / PFAYM and feels this is like them -- no! It's not. There is magic to this record -- a faded pastel darkness. And craft, so much craft, Sega Cyber Samurai '93 levels of musical craft. It's an honest to god good rock record, the first they've made since Know Your Enemy. And it's sad too. Sad as hell. Frayed and serrated. There is a strange warm sadness to it's gruffness. It's most apparent in James' voice. So nice to hear it as the centerpiece of an album again, after RTF / Futurology. He's aged, yet still such a warrior behind the microphone.

These are just dear, dear people and they're taking being in the Manic Street Preachers beyond the point of... well, perhaps further than any band has ever taken it. Only the French new wave band Indochine have the sheer number creative years to rival the Manics', and while Indochine have been going longer, their general quality is nowhere near the Manics. (I won't even mention zombie acts from the 60s and 70s)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, to A Song For The Sadness reaching it's final chorus with JDB's skyscraping epinomous line in my speakers: the Manic Street Preachers, these four welsh boys, won rock'n'roll. Rock'n'roll was a long distance race of intelligence, musical muscle and bleeding souls, and the Manic Street Preachers won it.

Last edited by Marat Sar; 26-04-2018 at 19:35.
Old 26-04-2018, 21:06
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
A Song For The Sadness reaching it's final chorus with JDB's skyscraping epinomous line in my speakers
That bit right there is fantastic and again this track can be seen as extremely pessimistic or raging defiance
depending on the mood you're in when you listen to it.
If there's one thing i feel this album really shows off the manic's strength it's the "lyrics full of doubt and music
full of hope" that i believe someone posted on twitter once.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 26-04-2018, 22:37
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
And craft, so much craft, Sega Cyber Samurai '93 levels of musical craft.
Yeah, so much craft behind
"Oh Vivian!
Oh Vivian!
Oh Vivian!
Oh Vivian!
Oh Vivian!
Oh Vivian!"
Real craft right there!

Seriously though, aside from Vivian and Dylan & Caitlin, and Hold Me Like a Heaven, I do think this a pretty good record. People Give In is an excellent opening track, International Blue is their best single in about ten years, and the only critisism I have with Liverpool Revisited is that its too short! I especially enjoy the second half of the album, Sequils to Forgotten Wars is like an awsome, mad Generation Terrorists and Futurology mash up, In Eternity is possibly the best song on the album, and Im not even a Bowie fan! I love Broken Algorithms in all its insane glory, A Song For The Sadness is beautiful ( although i cant understand why they chopped out the extra verse from the demo ) and I even quite like The Left Behind, although i feel the album needed a stronger closing song.