Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #346  
Old 24-05-2011, 12:50
wireobsessed's Avatar
wireobsessed wireobsessed is offline
I live to fall asleep
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: a once proud northern industrial town
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Hiroshima View Post
Read it and absolutely hated it from beginning to end.

The only merit in this book, is that it makes me appreciate good writing all the more.

Surely someone out there must be capable of putting together a decent book about Richey?
The only person that could do that would be Nicky. He is doing a second book with Faber but I'm not sure it'll be about Richey. Maybe we'll never get anything that really makes sense......
__________________
I know I believe in nothing but it is my nothing; wish I could Sparkle and Believe...
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 24-05-2011, 12:56
Slideling's Avatar
Slideling Slideling is offline
Builder of routine
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tel-Aviv, Israel
Age: 33
Posts: 15,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireobsessed View Post
Maybe we'll never get anything that really makes sense......
Agreed.
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 24-05-2011, 13:28
Benny Hiroshima Benny Hiroshima is offline
An imitation of dignity
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Swansea
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermintrude the Cow View Post
The problem is, doing any kind of book on the Manics is a thankless task because whatever someone says, the fanbase will always pick it apart. I'm sure to someone who knows v little about him and isn't as "close" to the whole thing the book was probably quite enjoyable...
I can appreciate that someone not familiar with the band may find the read enjoyable, and living up to the expectations of any fan of a particular cultural artefact can prove difficult.

However, my main gripe is that essentially this is a very poorly written book which is in poor taste.

It would have been better to fictionalise Richey's life completely or make the book a factual biography. I don't understand writers who sit on the fence and try to do both. It reeks of shoddy journalism / writing - something more in the terrority of women's magazines like Chat.

I'm not averse to books about Richey, the Manics or indeed any other band / cultural icon being published - but at least do a good job of it for godsake. Basically what has been written in Richard is the view of one person, who was never close to Richey, offering his opinions as to what the missing Manic was like.

Any attempt of those responsible for the book saying it "provides an insight into the mind of troubled genius" is laughable, given the very nature that it's a fictionalised account.
Why make some elements fiction and not others? If you're going down the fiction route, you may as well as put something in about Richey fighting off space monkeys while Sean Moore is sitting in a room arranging matches all the time.

The opinions of Richey posted by people on this forum and others, as opposed to someone in a position of priviledge like Ben Myers, are far more useful and informative. They offer a real insight into how culturally relevant Richey still is almost 20 years after disappearing as well as how highly regarded he was/is as a writer and a rock icon.
Perhaps the opinions of people on this board may not be deemed as "entertaining" compared with a fairy-tale, but at least you know they are bullshit free and they're not trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

It really annoys me when any person in a position of priviledge doesn't use that power responsibly as they could or should have done.

Pure and simple: Richard is a glorified series of opinions (not true facts) aimed at making money for either the writer or publisher.
__________________
"You love us, you hate us, you made us, then blame us"
Jack Knife Fight
http://www.myspace.com/jackknifefight
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 24-05-2011, 15:07
Ermintrude the Cow's Avatar
Ermintrude the Cow Ermintrude the Cow is offline
I live to fall asleep
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alone in a godless universe and out of shake 'n vac
Age: 31
Posts: 4,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Hiroshima View Post
I can appreciate that someone not familiar with the band may find the read enjoyable, and living up to the expectations of any fan of a particular cultural artefact can prove difficult.

However, my main gripe is that essentially this is a very poorly written book which is in poor taste.

It would have been better to fictionalise Richey's life completely or make the book a factual biography. I don't understand writers who sit on the fence and try to do both. It reeks of shoddy journalism / writing - something more in the terrority of women's magazines like Chat.

I'm not averse to books about Richey, the Manics or indeed any other band / cultural icon being published - but at least do a good job of it for godsake. Basically what has been written in Richard is the view of one person, who was never close to Richey, offering his opinions as to what the missing Manic was like.

Any attempt of those responsible for the book saying it "provides an insight into the mind of troubled genius" is laughable, given the very nature that it's a fictionalised account.
Why make some elements fiction and not others? If you're going down the fiction route, you may as well as put something in about Richey fighting off space monkeys while Sean Moore is sitting in a room arranging matches all the time.
The opinions of Richey posted by people on this forum and others, as opposed to someone in a position of priviledge like Ben Myers, are far more useful and informative. They offer a real insight into how culturally relevant Richey still is almost 20 years after disappearing as well as how highly regarded he was/is as a writer and a rock icon.
Perhaps the opinions of people on this board may not be deemed as "entertaining" compared with a fairy-tale, but at least you know they are bullshit free and they're not trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

It really annoys me when any person in a position of priviledge doesn't use that power responsibly as they could or should have done.

Pure and simple: Richard is a glorified series of opinions (not true facts) aimed at making money for either the writer or publisher.
Agree 100%. Oh, and if someone ever wants to write that story, I'd buy it!
__________________
If I can't scream like a banshee and tell jokes and quote Monty Python and organize backrub circles and put Twizzlers in my soda and giggle freely, I don't want to be part of your Revolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
life is excellent if you just fuck each other whilst doing loads of coke.
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 08-09-2011, 08:18
MarilynRoxie's Avatar
MarilynRoxie MarilynRoxie is offline
Hold me she said, Love me to Death
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Francisco
Age: 27
Posts: 2,600
Article by Ben and a giveaway of the paperback version of Richard (coming out October 6th, 2011) taking place here: http://theculturevulture.co.uk/blog/...art-thursdays/
Reply With Quote
  #351  
Old 08-09-2011, 08:35
meganslastwords's Avatar
meganslastwords meganslastwords is offline
Knowlede Is Power
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: England
Age: 22
Posts: 1,266
entered, simply because i want to read it but don't want to pay for it!
__________________
03-07-11 Camden Roundhouse 04-10-11 Nation Radio Cardiff (Acoustic) 17-12-11 O2 Arena 11-04-14 O2 Academy Brixton
twitter facebook
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 12-09-2011, 08:50
joanniejones joanniejones is offline
An imitation of dignity
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 77
libraries, my dear, one of the main reasons libraries are so great. (P.S - the book is shit).
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 12-09-2011, 10:01
meganslastwords's Avatar
meganslastwords meganslastwords is offline
Knowlede Is Power
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: England
Age: 22
Posts: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanniejones View Post
libraries, my dear, one of the main reasons libraries are so great. (P.S - the book is shit).
Been in my local library at least 5 times, they've never had it in and the woman couldn't find it on the database
__________________
03-07-11 Camden Roundhouse 04-10-11 Nation Radio Cardiff (Acoustic) 17-12-11 O2 Arena 11-04-14 O2 Academy Brixton
twitter facebook
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 12-09-2011, 13:26
meganslastwords's Avatar
meganslastwords meganslastwords is offline
Knowlede Is Power
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: England
Age: 22
Posts: 1,266
oh dear, is it really that bad?
__________________
03-07-11 Camden Roundhouse 04-10-11 Nation Radio Cardiff (Acoustic) 17-12-11 O2 Arena 11-04-14 O2 Academy Brixton
twitter facebook
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 12-09-2011, 13:44
starryknight's Avatar
starryknight starryknight is offline
Desire on its knees
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lost amongst the undergrowth
Posts: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganslastwords View Post
Been in my local library at least 5 times, they've never had it in and the woman couldn't find it on the database
They should still be able to get it in for you via an inter library loan. There may be a small charge for doing so, but at least it will save you having to buy it (especially if it is shit). Go in with the details of the book (ISBN number, publisher etc) and ask them again.
__________________
He who has a garden and a library wants for nothing - Cicero 64BC
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 14-09-2011, 09:01
helvissa's Avatar
helvissa helvissa is offline
Bored of being bored
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 1,862
It hasn't made it to the 1p for a second hand copy thingy on Amazon yet. Tragic.

Birmingham has 3 copies? AWESOME! Then again, they do like spending their money on crap (I refer you to the new library with those pointlessly shitty, and no doubt fiercely expensive random metal hoop things all over the windows that look like an explosion in a bed spring factory. BUY BOOKS NOT POINTLESS ARCHITECTURE YOU MORONS).
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 14-09-2011, 14:16
helvissa's Avatar
helvissa helvissa is offline
Bored of being bored
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 1,862
I'm quite glad I pay my council tax to Sandwell now! ;D

Then again, Sandwell's so impoverished that they never seem to have any new anything. I had a book overdue and didn't renew it on purpose - so that I could pay library fines out of pity so they'd have at least a couple of quid towards some new books!!!
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 14-09-2011, 19:36
hummingbird's Avatar
hummingbird hummingbird is offline
Builder of routine
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: in a quiet corner
Posts: 18,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganslastwords View Post
oh dear, is it really that bad?
it's alright. Sections of it are laughable but if you forget you're a manics fan for the duration it'll pass the time. A version of reason is actually worse. Not good when you recognise magazine interviews in the text and i gave up on it.

Agree with the above poster saying it shouldn'tve been part biog and part fiction.
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 14-09-2011, 20:08
amay's Avatar
amay amay is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
Age: 24
Posts: 638
I didn't like the beginning or end but it got better in the middle. Overall I wasn't impressed, it just didn't seem like anything Richey would have said at all.
__________________
instagram
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 13-04-2013, 14:06
andy's Avatar
andy andy is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 570
just got this for 2

what a waste of 2! boring, unrealistic, uninspired, don't feel for one second like i'm listening to richey - sorry ben, nice concept (I guess) horrible execution
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.