Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 08-07-2018, 12:46
I live to fall asleep

This Is My Truth - depressingly relevant after 20 years?

So I was just thinking about 'This Is My Truth' and it struck me that it's depressingly relevant today. Fascism is on the march ('If You Tolerate This'), the working classes are being metaphorically drowned '('Ready For Drowning'), anti-trans protesters hijacked London Pride over issues of how important it is to be 'Born A Girl' (or boy) in terms of your gender identity, while the Police Chief in charge of Hillsborough is up on manslaughter charges. If someone bought the upcoming re-issue thinking it was a new release they'd think it was bang up to date.
Old 08-07-2018, 22:24
Knowlede Is Power

Some would say that it was ahead of its time.
Old 08-07-2018, 23:27
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
If the rhythms on the album were more global it could probably still get played.
Still rocks harder than boyband guitars. One thing that dates it are the lyrics being too simple. At least music now at last picked it's socks up on writing nowadats. (And mysteriouslt split between five ir six cowriters!)
Is This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours the band''s impresssion of Manics sounding as designed for committe?
Keep thinking of sequels but what were Lifeblood but an extension of this album and Futurology at it's greatest parts.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:49
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
Fascism is on the march ('If You Tolerate This')
Somewhat disrespectful to victims of actual fascists.

Political positions that you don't share aren't automatically fascism.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 09-07-2018, 09:07
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Somewhat disrespectful to victims of actual fascists.

Political positions that you don't share aren't automatically fascism.
Lay off the trigger, for all you know, he's talking about Corbyn....

In a political sense, there is an increase of Fascism, plenty of parties on both sides looking to centralise power, persecute traitors who go against the so called will of the people. Erdogan is clearly a fascist, so is Putin to a certain extent, and Donald Trump to a very minor extent. Brexiteers have hints of Fascism as they want to centralise policy making in government rather than allow parliament to vote on devolved powers from leaving the EU. Corbyn could be called a Fascist for wanting to renationalised the rail industry.

I do wish more Manics fans have politics degrees. Too many people throwing around the fascism word without an iota of what it actually means. Fascism isn't about persecuting minorities, it's about centralising power and industry in government and state (which allows it to more easily persecute minorities if it choses to).

Stand back, I have political powers!

Last edited by Routine Builder; 09-07-2018 at 09:12.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:21
I live to fall asleep

Despite the band's reticence towards the album, there is a reason it sold millions of copies. It was the start of my Manics fandom and I still enjoy the odd listen to it.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:18
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Despite the band's reticence towards the album, there is a reason it sold millions of copies. It was the start of my Manics fandom and I still enjoy the odd listen to it.
Same. The second half of that album, rightly or wrongly, was my introduction to the Manics. I'd love to hear some I'm Not Working or Black Dog On My Shoulder type stuff again.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 10-07-2018, 02:42
Bored of being bored

My introduction to the Manics. Love love love it.
Bought it when I still lived in Greece back in 98. Coming to America in 2000, and with them being virtually unknown was a strange thing.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:44
I live to fall asleep

I don't think times have changed that much. Even if they have, unfortunately the lyrics just aren't engaging enough for people to embrace Bob Dylan style. For me, Nicky's low point as a lyricist.

...and the Manics as a band for that matter. For me, its success was a result of EMG, but in the course of the Truth tours they shed loads of fans and the lesser sales of KYE, then Lifeblood, were as a result of Truth as opposed to having anything to do with those 2 albums. Nicky even admitted at the time they were trying to distance themselves from some fans, though he seemed to regret that come SATT and Postcards.

It's just an evil whiny album.

I'm sorry.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:45
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
Nicky's low point as a lyricist.

What would you say was hid highest point as a lyricist then?
Old 10-07-2018, 18:44
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
I don't think times have changed that much. Even if they have, unfortunately the lyrics just aren't engaging enough for people to embrace Bob Dylan style. For me, Nicky's low point as a lyricist.

...and the Manics as a band for that matter. For me, its success was a result of EMG, but in the course of the Truth tours they shed loads of fans and the lesser sales of KYE, then Lifeblood, were as a result of Truth as opposed to having anything to do with those 2 albums. Nicky even admitted at the time they were trying to distance themselves from some fans, though he seemed to regret that come SATT and Postcards.

It's just an evil whiny album.

I'm sorry.
Actually, as I remember it, the public liked the album a lot more than the critics - Melody Maker and NME only rated it around 25 in the albums of the year, but IIRC it was voted the album of the year in one of them by the readership. Off the back of it they played the 60,000 fan Manic Millennium and then hit number 1 with a punk single. KYE charted at 2, and Lifeblood at 13 - why would people not be buying Lifeblood because of an album they'd made 6 years before?

You don't like the album - that's fine, but the idea that it's a poor album is your opinion, not objective fact. Blaming it for the failure of an album that came after the abrasive punk album that was actually designed to lose them casual fans is just wrong.

Oh, and I think there are some lovely lyrics on it as well.
Old 10-07-2018, 21:27
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Lay off the trigger, for all you know, he's talking about Corbyn....

In a political sense, there is an increase of Fascism, plenty of parties on both sides looking to centralise power, persecute traitors who go against the so called will of the people. Erdogan is clearly a fascist, so is Putin to a certain extent, and Donald Trump to a very minor extent. Brexiteers have hints of Fascism as they want to centralise policy making in government rather than allow parliament to vote on devolved powers from leaving the EU. Corbyn could be called a Fascist for wanting to renationalised the rail industry.

I do wish more Manics fans have politics degrees. Too many people throwing around the fascism word without an iota of what it actually means. Fascism isn't about persecuting minorities, it's about centralising power and industry in government and state (which allows it to more easily persecute minorities if it choses to).
Serious? Ha. Your truth?
And aye throwing around the fascism word.....reckon Corbyn's inspired by Mussolini then?? And has a 5 year plan if he becomes Uncle Jezza? Hmmmn

This is my truth....includes one of my favourites ... Tsunami
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 10-07-2018, 23:45
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
This is my truth....includes one of my favourites ... Tsunami
This is ... also my truth, let’s tell everyone else. Or something.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 10-07-2018, 23:52
I am purity, they call me perverted

I've always thought that 'Tolerate' is a bit misunderstood really. Yes, it references the Spanish Civil War, but I've always understood it to be about the contrast between the courage and principles of the volunteers who went out there to fight (particularly from Wales) and the general indifference shown to the terrible events that had happened in the Balkans in the 90's.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:47
Bored of being bored

I was hugely disappointed with this album on first listen. It all seemed so slow and dull, nothing like the Manics I'd fallen in love with in the GATS era. It didn't help that it came out one week after Mansun's Six which was a truly astonishingly brilliant album. But I did grow to love TIMT for what it was after a few weeks listening to it. It's probably one of my favourite Manics albums now and has aged very well.