Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-04-2014, 23:49
Freed from the century

I don't know what was going on with the crowd.

I was about four rows back directly in line with Nicky and everyone around me was stood still with their arms folded. I was the only one making an effort.

Those around me didn't seem to recognise any of the songs or appear to even like the band. Very weird.

I've lost my voice trying to make up for the lack of effort from everyone else.

The sound where I was seemed fine. Perhaps the speaker on the other side was malfunctioning.

I really like the new songs. Much better than Rewind The Film.

Leicester has been a bit weird for gigs recently. There was a period of time when barely anyone came to Leicester and I think some people may have forgotten what to do at a gig.

I was at a festival based at De Montfort Hall in the summer and the headline act who were having their homecoming gig received an attendance of about 50 people, whilst one of the earlier acts (who were rubbish by the way and not a well know group either) packed the place out with a similar atmosphere to an Oasis gig in Manchester.
Old 01-04-2014, 23:54
Freed from the century

So, from what i gather.. The Leicester De Montfort Hall was attended mainly by static robots?
Old 02-04-2014, 06:33
I am purity, they call me perverted

^ yep. I was expecting so much better from the crowd. Only been to LDM once before to see suede in 96. Last time I saw the Manics in Leicester it was the uni halls in 94 and I nearly died of a heart attack lol. I may have to get a ticket some how for a London gig to blot this from my mind.
No blog mention of Leicester from Nicky either...

Stay Beautiful.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:19
Bored out of my mind

I have to say I enjoyed the gig despite the static crowd and tbh I didn't really notice how bad Nicky was until I read comments online afterwards. But then I was on the barrier on James' side and tend to spend most gigs staring at him I did notice Nicky was rather subdued though. Having now been to Manchester as well since this one, that obviously knocked spots off this, but we got a few different songs to Leeds and it was good to hear Stay Beautiful, Masses and acoustic From Despair to Where (the latter I'd never heard live before).

Also thought it was hilarious when the crowd completely failed to do the high notes in FDTW and James was mocking us all for it and then said "But to be fair you don't all have tiny testicles like me"...er thanks for that information, James I thought he did really well to make up for Nicky being quiet/ill throughout the whole gig (which is why from a James girl's point of view I didn't think it was as bad a gig as the Nicky fans did). Also enjoyed his purple shirt of sex

Aherm...anyway, I'll post some photos later when I've sorted through them. The good thing about a quiet crowd was I got to take more than at Leeds!

Oh and I really liked the actual venue, queuing was nice and civilised (and way warmer than Leeds) and the staff seemed good with those who'd queued from early in the morning. Wolf Alice were a VAST improvement on Eagulls at Leeds (although that wouldn't be difficult, as Eagulls were quite possibly one of the worst support acts I've ever seen) and I was quite relieved when they took to the stage after Morrissey blew up the sound system
Old 02-04-2014, 13:35
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
I have to say I enjoyed the gig despite the static crowd and tbh I didn't really notice how bad Nicky was until I read comments online afterwards. But then I was on the barrier on James' side and tend to spend most gigs staring at him I did notice Nicky was rather subdued though. Having now been to Manchester as well since this one, that obviously knocked spots off this, but we got a few different songs to Leeds and it was good to hear Stay Beautiful, Masses and acoustic From Despair to Where (the latter I'd never heard live before).

Also thought it was hilarious when the crowd completely failed to do the high notes in FDTW and James was mocking us all for it and then said "But to be fair you don't all have tiny testicles like me"...er thanks for that information, James I thought he did really well to make up for Nicky being quiet/ill throughout the whole gig (which is why from a James girl's point of view I didn't think it was as bad a gig as the Nicky fans did). Also enjoyed his purple shirt of sex

Aherm...anyway, I'll post some photos later when I've sorted through them. The good thing about a quiet crowd was I got to take more than at Leeds!

Oh and I really liked the actual venue, queuing was nice and civilised (and way warmer than Leeds) and the staff seemed good with those who'd queued from early in the morning. Wolf Alice were a VAST improvement on Eagulls at Leeds (although that wouldn't be difficult, as Eagulls were quite possibly one of the worst support acts I've ever seen) and I was quite relieved when they took to the stage after Morrissey blew up the sound system
ha I gues we must have been stood near each other - loved the sweaty purple shirt of sex haha
Nottingham Arena 11-12-02 | Nottingham Arena 11-12-04 | Derby Assembly Rooms 04-04-05 | Nottingham Rock City 24-05-07 | Derby Assembly Rooms 12-10-10 | Lincoln Engine Shed 16-10-10 | Leicester De Montfort 31-10-10 | Birmingham O2 Academy 14-12-10 | London Hyde Park 08-09-13 | Manchester Ritz 27-09-13 | Cardiff Motorpoint 29-03-14 | Leicester DeMontfort 31-03-14 | Manchester O2 01-04-14 | Wolves Civic Hall 06-04-14 | Manchester Albert Hall 11-12-14 | Wolves Civic Hall 01-06-15 | Genting Arena Birmingham 14-05-16 | Liberty Stadium Swansea 28-05-16 | Cardiff Motorpoint 5-05-18 | De Montfort Hall 31-05-19 | Splendour Festival, Nottingham 20-07-19

James Dean Bradfield
Nottingham Rescue Rooms 18-10-06
Old 02-04-2014, 15:20
Bored out of my mind

Here are a few photos (mostly of James as per usual):

Last edited by Abstract Unknown Girl; 13-08-2017 at 16:51.
Old 02-04-2014, 15:20
Bored out of my mind

Last edited by Abstract Unknown Girl; 13-08-2017 at 17:03.
Old 02-04-2014, 15:25
Under neon loneliness

Thank you
Old 02-04-2014, 15:26

Great pics!
16/12/98 Wembley Arena, 23/05/07 Norwich UEA, 17/10/10 Norwich UEA, 22/01/11 Brixton Academy, 19/05/11 Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 17/12/11 London 02 Arena, 24/09/13 Shepherd's Bush Empire, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montford Hall, 16/05/16 Royal Albert Hall

Twitter: @DamonCorless
Old 02-04-2014, 15:51

That shirt is rather swag.
Old 02-04-2014, 16:24
I live to fall asleep

Great photos! Close up James is always good...
Old 02-04-2014, 17:17
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by qster View Post
^ yep. I was expecting so much better from the crowd. Only been to LDM once before to see suede in 96. Last time I saw the Manics in Leicester it was the uni halls in 94 and I nearly died of a heart attack lol. I may have to get a ticket some how for a London gig to blot this from my mind.
No blog mention of Leicester from Nicky either...
Same thing happened with the Lincoln gig on the postcards tour. Really flat crowd and no tweeting after. I think he needs a good crowd reaction to buoy him up. Might be some of the reason why he was in such a foul mood
Old 02-04-2014, 17:21
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Same thing happened with the Lincoln gig on the postcards tour. Really flat crowd and no tweeting after. I think he needs a good crowd reaction to buoy him up. Might be some of the reason why he was in such a foul mood
I thought the very same thing. Maybe a different crowd would have made him feel less uncomfortable/upset.
Rough Trade, London - 2012
Rewind The Film Tour Bristol/London/Manchester/Glasgow - 2013
BBC 6 Music - Maida Vale Studios - 2013
Futurology Tour 2014 - Leeds/Cardiff/Leicester/Manchester/Brighton/Brixton x2/Bruxelles/Luxembourg
Rough Trade - 2014
London Acoustic Guitar Show Olympia, London - 2014
BBC Mastertapes, The Holy Bible special - Maida Vale Studios - 2014
The Holy Bible Tour 2014 - Glasgow/Manchester x2/London x2
The Holy Bible Tour 2015 - Southampton/Cardiff/On Blackheath
EMG20 2016 - Bruxelles/Liverpool/Birmingham/London x2/Glasgow/Swansea/Portsmouth
Old 02-04-2014, 17:24
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricri View Post
I thought the very same thing. Maybe a different crowd would have made him feel less uncomfortable/upset.
delicate boy I was so pleased to see his mood lifting as the gig went on last night
Old 02-04-2014, 17:27
Stretched out in the sun

Rough Trade, London - 2012
Rewind The Film Tour Bristol/London/Manchester/Glasgow - 2013
BBC 6 Music - Maida Vale Studios - 2013
Futurology Tour 2014 - Leeds/Cardiff/Leicester/Manchester/Brighton/Brixton x2/Bruxelles/Luxembourg
Rough Trade - 2014
London Acoustic Guitar Show Olympia, London - 2014
BBC Mastertapes, The Holy Bible special - Maida Vale Studios - 2014
The Holy Bible Tour 2014 - Glasgow/Manchester x2/London x2
The Holy Bible Tour 2015 - Southampton/Cardiff/On Blackheath
EMG20 2016 - Bruxelles/Liverpool/Birmingham/London x2/Glasgow/Swansea/Portsmouth