Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-03-2017, 20:57
Doors slowly closing

Some of the track listing seemed a bit too specific for it to be a mistake... Sean has attempted to quosh rumours of things like Carfest before which ended up being real. Maybe they don't think they're getting enough of an advance from it
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 13-03-2017, 22:11
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Some of the track listing seemed a bit too specific for it to be a mistake... Sean has attempted to quosh rumours of things like Carfest before which ended up being real.th
That's my thinking too. I'd rather a new album most of all. But that could tide us over.
But then maybe the band worry about becoming a nostalgia act? TIMTTMY20 has to happen next year though.
Old 14-03-2017, 07:41
A self-made vacuum

Its very likely the band aren't aloud to say anything until its officially announced.

I just wonder whether this boxset is something the record company has come up (like the Japanese 2 discers) and something with the bands involvement (like the previous anniversary editions).

Its a shame theres no Rites of Spring, but then again its still early. The tracklisting may not be finalised or perhaps there will also be a 4 disc edition.
Old 14-03-2017, 10:37
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Well quite.

Also if the listing for this was to be believed it had material not included on the Japanese reissues. So you could just as easily say 'just buy the original 1 CD...' *shrugs*.

I hope this is a thing.
It's a strange track listing, didn't know it'd been taken down. Bit harsh on Underdogs if they have taken it out of the album, not happened on any other reissue has it? I hope it's a thing too, love listening to the demos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Some of the track listing seemed a bit too specific for it to be a mistake... Sean has attempted to quosh rumours of things like Carfest before which ended up being real. Maybe they don't think they're getting enough of an advance from it
Yeah, it probably is a thing isn't it? Remember when it came out Amazon listing a deluxe edition of the album with minimal information, not like that is it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Its very likely the band aren't aloud to say anything until its officially announced.

I just wonder whether this boxset is something the record company has come up (like the Japanese 2 discers) and something with the bands involvement (like the previous anniversary editions).

Its a shame theres no Rites of Spring, but then again its still early. The tracklisting may not be finalised or perhaps there will also be a 4 disc edition.
I don't really get it if they're not allowed to say owt til it's announced, doesn't really seem like summat worth being secretive about.
Old 14-03-2017, 19:58
Freed from the century

The "spring" song from SATT was called "Ruins of Spring," and it was never completed. I don't think it was even demoed.

Last edited by Elizabeth M; 14-03-2017 at 20:16.
Old 14-03-2017, 21:30
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
The "spring" song from SATT was called "Ruins of Spring," and it was never completed. I don't think it was even demoed.
So they recoiled from recording the Spring song?

(sorry)

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 14-03-2017, 21:38
Freed from the century

Yep, would agree that those demo descriptions were far too specific for this to not be real (unless its a hoax but honestly thats a niche joke for anyone to try and pull).

Bit odd to rewrite the tracklist but the super furries swapped in something 4 the weekend onto the fuzzy logic reissue so why not ? Wire has spoken about his love of 'Welcome to the deadzone' previously too so that would all tie in.As much as im fond of most of SATT its hardly drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa is it ?

Good reminder that there were some great bsides in this era, 1404,aneroxic roden, red sleeping beauty, etc. My biggest suprise was that there wasnt a deluxe edition with demos at the time, thought that was a thing by this era.
Old 14-03-2017, 22:46
Knowlede Is Power

I didnt see the tracklisting, so what was included apart from the album and b sides? And whats all this talk about underdogs being taken off??
Old 14-03-2017, 23:12
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
I didnt see the tracklisting, so what was included apart from the album and b sides? And whats all this talk about underdogs being taken off??
From what I can remember, Underdogs replaced with "Welcome To The Dead Zone".
And yet "Version 2" of Underdogs (Demoed at Faster Studios) appeared at the end of the album. Along with some more Faster Studios versions of SATT era demos.
Pretty much every b-side was on disc 2. With I think more Faster Studios demos and as you read, it looked like Disc 3 was their Glastonbury set.
Has my memory gone or did I get most of it right?
Old 15-03-2017, 08:23
I am purity, they call me perverted

Disk 1 von 3

1Send away the tigers
2Welcome to the dead zone
3Your love alone is not enough
4Indian summer
5The second great depression
6Rendition
7Autumnsong
8I'm just a patsy
9Imperial bodybags
10Winterlovers
11Working class hero
12Send away the tigers (demo, faster studios)
13Underdogs 2 (demo, faster studios)
14Your love alone is not enough (demo - 60's jangle, faster st
15Indian summer (cassette home accoustic demo)
16The second great depression 4 (demo, faster studios)
17Rendition (cassette home acoustic demo)
18Autumnsong (demo, faster studios)
19I'm just a patsy (cassette home acoustic demo)
20Imperial bodybags (demo, faster studios)
21Winterlovers (demo, faster studios)

Disk 2 von 3

1Leviathon
2Umbrella
3Ghost of christmas
4Boxes & lists
5Love letter to the future
6Little girl lost
7Fearless punk ballad
8Your love alone is not enough (nina solo acoustic)
9Red sleeping beauty (mccarthy cover)
10The long goodbye
11Morning comrades
13The vorticists
14Autumnsong (acoustic version)
15Anorexic rodin
16Heyday of the blood
17Foggy eyes (beat happening cover)
18Lady lazarus
19You know it's going to hurt

Disk 3 von 3

1You love us
2Motorcycle emptiness
3You stole the sun from my heart
4Faster
5Your love alone is not enough (with nina persson)
6Everything must go
7From despair to where
8Autumnsong
9Ocean spray
10If you tolerate this your children will be next
11La tristesse durera (scream to a sigh)
12Imperial bodybags
13Motown junk
14A design for life
15Your love alone is not enough video
16Making of 'your love alone is not enough'
17Autumnsong video
18Autumnsong alternative video
19Indian summer video
20Track by track
21Rehearsals, cardiff march 2007
22Practice sessions
Old 15-03-2017, 10:01
Doors slowly closing

Preorder: https://store.manicstreetpreachers.com
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)

Last edited by UEF; 15-03-2017 at 10:25.
Old 15-03-2017, 10:09
Freed from the century

It was saying the signed CDs were sold out at first, ended up harranging poor old Sean even though it won't be anything to do with him (who was very nice & polite) and then the signed copies suddenly became available.

https://store.manicstreetpreachers.com/
Old 15-03-2017, 10:26
Stretched out in the sun

No idea why this is getting a reissue instead of something like This Is My Truth but I'm not complaining - Send Away The Tigers is the one Manics album where the b-sides are infinitely better than the album tracks, so it will be nice to have them all in high quality as some I only have vinyl rips of.

Which means I'll finally have a high quality version of my Welcome To The Dead Zone album!!
Old 15-03-2017, 10:29
Winterlover

Bit bonkers that SATT gets this treatment while we're still waiting for This Is My Truth to get its due deluxe treatment...

The Underdogs brush-off is fascinating. Not only is it getting thrown off the album, but the only version of it in the tracklist is the demo. So, not only are they rewriting it off the album's history, they're making it seem like the infamous edit error never happened. Iiiiinteresting. I'm not a fan of rejigging established tracklists like this but it's definitely a curious thing and I hope the liner notes dig into it. Surprised "Welcome to the Dead Zone" gets its spot as well, would've expected "Love Letter" as others have said. Prefer it this way though, Dead Zone is one of the best songs of the era.

Otherwise, a pretty solid tracklist and whilst my feelings towards the album are... convoluted, I'll be grabbing this for all the bonus goodies - especially all the vinyl-only stuff we'll finally hear in good quality now. Disappointed that the "Untitled Instrumental" isn't included but what can you do, maybe that's a bit too fan-OTT completist for the band to even think of.

Other minor niggle is that based on the band's website it's a long box rather than a thick one like the previous deluxe re-releases, but given the band is choosing these re-issues pretty haphazardly anyway I'm not surprised there's some packaging inconsistencies.
Old 15-03-2017, 10:44
I live to fall asleep

It's these type of things that force me to face up to what type of Manics fan I am.

I'd love to get a look at the lyrics and art but I don't listen to CDs and I don't watch DVDs. Who does anymore?

Plus demos on a vinyl pressing? Really?

Bored of these reissues. That's 3 in the last 3 years. Arguably THB was the only justified one in performing the complete album as a piece of art. But then they went and did it all over the place and started extending solos and hand clapping during songs etc. And playing Cardiff Castle which was crap.

Don't think I'll be getting this.