Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 02-11-2010, 17:49
Desire on its knees

It could have been good if by the end of the middle eight (?) it had broken into them playing the song live with the crowd going bananas etc. Nice screenplay if that's what it's called, but it doesn't exactly sell the uplifting nature of the song does it?

Manic Street Preachers

Rock City Oct 1994; Newport May 1996; Knebworth Aug1996; Exeter Oct 1996; Reading April 1997; Cardiff Dec 1999; Manchester Mar 2001; Brixton Mar 2001; Llandudno Aug 2001; Leeds Festival Aug 2001; Birmingham Dec 2002; Cardiff Dec 2002; Brighton Dec 2004; Manchester Dec 2006; Sheffield May 2007; Bristol June 2007; Birmingham Dec 2007; Reading Festival Aug 2008; Royal Festival Hall Sep 2008; Camden Roundhouse May 2009; Sheffield Oct 2010; London O2 Dec 2011; Manchester Sep 2013; Leeds Mar 2014; Manchester Dec 2014;

James Dean Bradfield

Manchester May 2006; Sheffield Oct 2006; Sheffield Graves Art Gallery Oct 2011
Old 02-11-2010, 18:01
I am purity, they call me perverted

What I wanted was for it to have something up it's sleeve for the end, because thats the only good bit of the song, same with Postcards, as they proclaim the solution NEVER STOP. Thats where some slick editing is needed to make it into a more positive ending by contrast.

Maybe a few flashbulbs lighting up behind him in the tunnel. It can be done without looking tacky. Damn video lacks ambition so much.
Old 02-11-2010, 18:04
A self-made vacuum

The part where they meet on the steps really looks like it should end in an embrace and snog. It's the look on James' face!! Leading Mac to a quiet corner...

No control. We're all at sea. In a world that's disappeared.
Old 02-11-2010, 18:18
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
Sean could have poked his head out of the cloud with the ray of sun...or at least a hand come down saying "IT'S YOOOOOOOOU"
Also reminds me of the ending of 24 Hour Party People. Except without God appearing from the sky.

Haha I did a music video once at wonderful Media club. I just converted it to DVD, I was only about 16.
Old 02-11-2010, 18:36
Desire on its knees

horrendous video. What a waste. again.
Old 02-11-2010, 18:39
I live to fall asleep

Watched it again just now. Read some comments on that page too, most of them are people saying the Manics are shit, all their stuff is bland and dull, etc, etc. I always wonder why if people don't like an artist,etc they take the time to listen / watch something and leave comments? People are weird. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musi...of-nothingness
If they release a 3rd single it has to be a rocking one like Balconies to show that the album has a bit more than lush strings.
Old 02-11-2010, 18:47
I live to fall asleep

What a massively underwhelming disappointment and wasted opportunity that turned out to be...

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 02-11-2010, 18:55
Bored out of my mind

Well that was a bit boring. But then tbh I'm bored of the song already anyway. Also, the bit where the two meet looks like some sort of dodgy drug deal
Old 02-11-2010, 18:56
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Well this is even worse than the first video, it's not even in sync. Anyone else reminded of Bono by the whole middle-aged-man-walking-round-the-city-lipsynching-badly-in-a-hoodie thing? At least had the rest of the band in, not sure the Bono comparison is flattering though!

Also I've actually made staggeringly mediocre local TV ads before and even we put more thought into them than that

Last edited by Lauren Cinnamon; 02-11-2010 at 19:07.
Old 02-11-2010, 18:57
Doors slowly closing

is it me, or does the concept for this video "borrow" rather heavily from the one Ian Brown & Noel Gallagher did for Keep What Ya Got, where the two of them cross Manchester to meet? not that it was particularly original when they did it.

keeping my thoughts to myself on the actual song lest i offend people i respect here, they really needed a dynamic, eye-catching video that would get some demand to be played on music channels and what have you. this isn't such a video, is it?

i, like i would imagine a fair few others here not in love with the song, have ordered the single anyway out of loyalty & a wish to have the b-sides. we have done our bit to help them get the chart action they crave, they've done fuck all to help themselves with this.
blog
Old 02-11-2010, 18:57
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
Well that was a bit boring. But then tbh I'm bored of the song already anyway. Also, the bit where the two meet looks like some sort of dodgy drug deal
it looks like James is about to be mugged.
Boring.
Old 02-11-2010, 18:59
Doors slowly closing

Hahaha, it does look like a drug deal! That would have been an 100x more interesting concept for the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leericketts View Post
is it me, or does the concept for this video "borrow" rather heavily from the one Ian Brown & Noel Gallagher did for Keep What Ya Got, where the two of them cross Manchester to meet? not that it was particularly original when they did it.
Damn, was going to say this. It's so right.

Neither of them are Noel Gallagher though, so it's nowhere near that standard of cool...
Old 02-11-2010, 18:59
Bored out of my mind

I love it! It's like the cover of the Bunnymen's Heaven Up Here come to life!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 02-11-2010, 19:04
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrijack View Post
Damn, was going to say this. It's so right.

Neither of them are Noel Gallagher though, so it's nowhere near that standard of cool...
let's have an honourable mention for the fucking insane jacket Brown had on in the video, please
blog
Old 02-11-2010, 19:15
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
Sean could have poked his head out of the cloud with the ray of sun...or at least a hand come down saying "IT'S YOOOOOOOOU"