Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 28-11-2010, 21:50
Administrator

Yeah Blackburn was great. There can't be that many casual fans (ie fans that haven't at least heard some of the albums left), I think it's a fallacy....if they were still playing arenas, maybe, but when you play such small venues it seems pretty likely most people will be familiar with some of their stuff. Anyway, I don't see how they can know how a track will go down live until they try - the Descent, to me, didn't go down well...and they seemed to realise it.
Old 28-11-2010, 22:00
Bored out of my mind

Oh no! Wanna hear The Descent live. It will be consigned to gather dust now.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 28-11-2010, 23:01
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
exactly. All the points you addressed had been discussed in detail on the previous page with very good explanations. Just coming on here and calling people spoilt for arguments that have already been explained well a couple of hours earlier is trollish, like it or not.
Seriously. Give me a break on the trollish bit. That's rubbish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
Also, "Yes, but I don't agree" which I assume was in reply to my last post as otherwise it didn't make sense- we were talking about completely different things. If you had read the thread you would see that my post before that was talking about a hypothetical situation involving THB B-sides.
Apologies, 'Yes, but I don't agree' was in response to many of the posts suggesting I hadn't read anything on the previous page. Not just yours. I had, I just didn't agree with some of it.

Anyway, what i do agree on is that it would be great to hear them play more stuff from Postcards.

But they haven't. I wasn't disappointed about that at any point when watching the show.

I'm sure this is boring now for everyone else so will leave it. I guess words like 'spoilt' and 'trollish' stir the blood a bit...
Old 28-11-2010, 23:07
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Yeah Blackburn was great. There can't be that many casual fans (ie fans that haven't at least heard some of the albums left), I think it's a fallacy....if they were still playing arenas, maybe, but when you play such small venues it seems pretty likely most people will be familiar with some of their stuff.
Totally agree with this. I feel like these days this imagined mass of 'casual fans' who only want to hear 'the hits' doesn't really exist to the degree the band seem to think it does. There aren't just the casuals who want to hear ADFL and then the hardcores who do multiple dates; there are actual fans who only do one gig per tour, who probably end up hearing a large chunk of the same songs even if they only see the band once every year or so.
Old 29-11-2010, 07:35
Bored out of my mind

Can't believe Bluehammer has been accused of being a troll. He/She always comes across as lovely to me. Not that I'm saying we necessarily agree on everything, mind! In one interview James said he didn't know who made up the fan base anymore (possibly KYE era, not too sure.) so whether its a case of 'We'd better just play the hits!'.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 29-11-2010, 08:12
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
Totally agree with this. I feel like these days this imagined mass of 'casual fans' who only want to hear 'the hits' doesn't really exist to the degree the band seem to think it does. There aren't just the casuals who want to hear ADFL and then the hardcores who do multiple dates; there are actual fans who only do one gig per tour, who probably end up hearing a large chunk of the same songs even if they only see the band once every year or so.
Yes. And even when I see other bands as a 'casual fan', I'd admittedly be disappointed if they didn't do their hits - why I don't have a problem with the Manics playing ADFL or Tolerate no matter how many times I've heard them - but I also quite like hearing songs I don't know so well.
Old 29-11-2010, 10:55
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Can't believe Bluehammer has been accused of being a troll. He/She always comes across as lovely to me. Not that I'm saying we necessarily agree on everything, mind! In one interview James said he didn't know who made up the fan base anymore (possibly KYE era, not too sure.) so whether its a case of 'We'd better just play the hits!'.
(He)

Cheers... but I did call some fellow forumites a bunch of spoilt foot stomping Verucas so I'm happy to take what came.
Old 29-11-2010, 12:08
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
Yeah, and alienate those once a tour fans, and you won't sell out the small venues!