Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 25-11-2010, 23:17
Born to end

Lightbulb Postcards from a Young Man Tour, oh really??

I love the new Manics album. I really do. And I'm not the only one, as reviews are mostly positive, to say the least.. and the new album proves to be a great one.

In fact, it's one of my favorite albums by the MSP, and I was really looking to attend one of the gigs promoting the album.

So, can anyone please explain to me why would the Manics insist on playing only 3-4 songs from the new album each night? Ok, I get the fact that they need to attract other casual fans who must hear "A Design for Life", or else the night would be ruined for them.

But seriously, what's the point? It's just another "Best of..." tour.

Where's "A Billion Balconies..", "Don't be Evil", and other great songs from the album? I know that they don't just play "It's not War" and "Some Kind..", but also "The Descent" and "Golden Platitudes", etc... Though it would have been better to hear all these songs in one night, rather than wishing for what the 3rd song from the album would be picked.

If any of you Manics read this post, please have more Postcards songs on your European leg of the tour, otherwise it's just another version of the "Forever Delayed" tour all over again. So 2002.

thx,
Daniel.
Old 25-11-2010, 23:19
Administrator

+1
Old 25-11-2010, 23:40
Mr Msppedia

It's been like it for the last 10 years really, only PPF and SATT summer tour have mixed it up a bit
Old 26-11-2010, 03:52
I am purity, they call me perverted

I love the latest album too, but out here at least I thought the setlists were beautifully tailored to the crowd they were going to get in Australia.

I think with a larger following in the UK they could afford to mix it up a bit, but rather than judging the quality of the gig by reading the setlist, you've just go to get along and see them.

The 3 new tunes they did play sounded amazing, sure I wish they'd have played more but they got the mix right for the shows I saw at least.
Old 26-11-2010, 04:44
I am purity, they call me perverted

I do hope they've put it right by Brixton, l'll be a touch dissapointed flying over from Norway to London again to hear the same tired old setlist.
Old 26-11-2010, 07:03
Bored out of my mind

Nicky Wire doesn't like bands that play their whole albums and thinks bands should play their hits. So unless someone can change his mindset........................................
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 26-11-2010, 09:04
Builder of routine

I wasn't bothered about only hearing a few songs of the new album, it just would have been nicer to hear some better ones.
Old 26-11-2010, 09:56
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Nicky Wire doesn't like bands that play their whole albums and thinks bands should play their hits. So unless someone can change his mindset........................................
"The Smashing Pumpkins play whatever they want with a maximum of 5 popular hits at their non-festival gigs generally, and Corgan and co are more exciting than you have ever been live."

That'll get a fire under him anyway.

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 26-11-2010, 11:07
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

It's selfish and arrogant when bands play two thirds of their new album, especially when they play new songs just because they're new and don't even care if they don't work live. You just don't go out and play the majority of your tenth album, that'd be taking the piss a bit.
Old 26-11-2010, 11:40
Bored out of my mind

I'm not that bothered they didn't play much off PFAYM because really, I find the album very mediocre. But that doesn't excuse them ignoring a large chunk of their back catalogue time and time again. Most people at their gigs I'm sure own more than just their greatest hits these days anyway, so I doubt it would be alienating as many people as they seem to think by playing more rarer album tracks.
Old 26-11-2010, 12:08
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Poet View Post
It's selfish and arrogant when bands play two thirds of their new album, especially when they play new songs just because they're new and don't even care if they don't work live. You just don't go out and play the majority of your tenth album, that'd be taking the piss a bit.
It's hardly selfish and arrogant to play a lot of songs off the album you are promoting, especially not 2/3. What exactly is wrong with playing the majority of your tenth album? I'm not talking about turning up and playing it in sequence (though that is what they did last time around), just swapping songs around more. It doesn't exactly inspire much confidence in the album if you don't.
Old 26-11-2010, 12:13
Stretched out in the sun

I agree with Tim, the problem isn't that they don't play most of the album at every gig, it's that they ignore half the album and the b-sides they've produced so far this era in a live environment.

I think the album is dull as feck but you expect to hear something new live from them on each tour really outside of 3/4 tracks.

Old 26-11-2010, 12:17
Mr Msppedia

I think they need to just take the plunge and drop some of the hits, be brave and see how people react without them. Im sure they wouldnt be too missed when they've been playing the same core songs for the last decade when some album trackks which are sometimes better than the singles themselves go ignored and unplayed
Old 26-11-2010, 12:20
Stretched out in the sun

Aye, spot on, I'd imagine the band may be more energetic then as well, playing the same core set list for 10 - 15 years is not good for boredom on stage.

Old 26-11-2010, 12:29
Administrator

There's a load of more rocky tracks later on too, or James could do one acoustic.