Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-10-2010, 17:50
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfieldsLoveChild View Post
Ok, I have another question: Was there still such a culture of queuing for Manics shows back around '92-'94? I'm guessing there probably was, but was it as extreme as it has been in later years?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just becoming increasingly more fascinated by these shows, and anyone who was at them...
Certainly there were queues, but I was not a queuer then and am not a queuer now so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

What I will say is that I was always impressed by the number of female fans the band attracted who were prepared to get down the front and fight for their right to be there against the 'moshers' and stage divers who thought the front was their territory. It was unusual for a rock band at the time, and was one of the many things that made them so appealing. It still impresses me now, even though the stage diving and the like has died out.
Old 17-10-2010, 12:46
Freed from the century

I went to the final night and forced some of my work colleagues to come with me who were typical jingly 'indie-types'. Ha ha..I think they enjoyed it, though.
I finished work early, went to a pub in Borough and waited for my colleagues to finish so we could get there in plenty of time. Some of them went home first and then met me in the pub. However, I remember it getting dangerously late and as the evening progressed, I drank more and more getting more anxious, not a good way to be.
When everyone had arrived and we left I was moaning about the time, as I was a belligerent bugger back then, I remember stating that if the Manics set had begun when we arrived I would go home. We got a taxi at my insistence and just made it in time.
Of the gig itself, I remember the acoustic tracks the most , my Canadian friend getting very excited when James played 'Last Christmas', the Pete Townsend smashing-up at the end, and my same friend calling Richeys hair 'really sharp'.
It seemed too big in there as well for some reason, maybe because I'd never seen them in such a big venue before that. I lost my friends down the front and the only other thing I remember was feeling completely drained afterwards.
Its easy to see it as something significant now, I guess, but it was certainly exhilarating at the time.
Going home, I remember going into a public toilet to change my wet t shirt at Charing Cross station into my new 'Cunt Cock 20th Century etc' shirt, which my mum proceeded to put in with something red soon afterwards in the wash, thus turning it pink, which I still have.
Old 17-10-2010, 13:16
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
I was there in 2007
Me too.. and the person I was going with made us stand at the back after the first couple of songs.

Was a monster set as I recall... and lots of jokes about differences between 94/95 and then
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 19-10-2010, 00:52
Freed from the century

Does anyone have pictures of these "Cunt/cock" tshirts?

Was £9 for a gig like that back then really cheap/expensive/good value? Was there a warm up band? I think their gigs now are what? £30ish?

What was the "Richey corner" like? Were there many people there, did they really intimidate/piss off James?

Did people wait afterwards to meet the band?
Old 19-10-2010, 13:46
I am purity, they call me perverted

I really enjoyed watching the entire gig of 20/12/94 on Youtube at the weekend, had no idea it was on there!! Wowee.

Also thank you to whoever posted that pic of James & Nicky at Brixton 07, I was there, what a special moment that was.

Facebook / Last.fm / Twitter / Tumblr
Old 02-11-2010, 13:45
monkeyrock

I was at all three astoria gigs, travelled down from scotland and basically stayed at the astoria for 3 days! There were queues from early on for each night, made some good friends and there was a nice atmosphere. I remember the run inside each night when the doors opened and hurling ourselves at the barrier, was front row on richey's side each night. I remember the crush was intense, also there was a lot of red smoke used onstage and blowing my nose later that night looked like I had a nosebleed! To answer Tetsuo, the gigs were average price at the time and the Dust Brothers supported - you'll know them better as the Chemical Brothers! And Strangelove as well one night.
It felt very final on the last night when they smashed up the instruments. I remember being scratched to pieces by people trying to grab any part of what was coming off stage (bits of guitar, set list, richey's flowers). I took some terrible photos with a shitty camera, but they were so important to me at the time! One of james in his christmas hat! Security gave out some after show passes, i got one on the second night, but none of the band showed up. I didnt meet any of them then, but I think James came out briefly whilst we were waiting outside for one of the nights and he signed some stuff in the queue and Richey popped out for some sweets at the shop next door and a few people spoke to him. For a long time, these were the best gigs I had been to.
Old 18-11-2010, 08:41
Born to end

I went to the last Astoria gig in 1994 (a few days after i turned 16). Me and my brother had gotten into the Manics earlier that year upon The Holy Bible's release. The thing that has stayed with me most of all is when they smashed up their equipment at the end (some footage of that is on the Close Up documentary). It was really intense, You Love Us was the last song and half way through Nicky just started hammering his bass head-first on the ground and it all went from there. It made me laugh when James eventually stopped playing realising he was the only one and saying "who likes that song anyway?". For some reason i remember 'Ifwhiteamerica..' quite well and the very start when they launched into 'Faster'. Even today i can see James walking kind of nonchalantly in a semi-circle when they started that song. I remember little bits of Richey, mostly him leaning back and forward a lot and looking generally cool and strange. Weird what you remember.
Old 02-12-2010, 23:26
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Does anyone have pictures of these "Cunt/cock" tshirts?

Sorry about the wrong way round thing....computers aren't exactly my thing.
Old 03-12-2010, 18:39
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyrock View Post
... I remember the crush was intense, also there was a lot of red smoke used onstage and blowing my nose later that night looked like I had a nosebleed!
They used real "military smoke", not the dry-ice thing you normally have at gigs.
Old 03-12-2010, 19:00
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious View Post

Love the shirt!
Old 03-12-2010, 19:15
Builder of routine

great shirt for *wear your old band t-shirt to work* day
Old 03-12-2010, 19:18
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious View Post

What a brilliant shirt!
Old 03-12-2010, 19:42
Doors slowly closing

from 1hr 19 mins onwards, some classics, better quality than the radio rip in S&V, Astoria 94!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...oe_02_12_2010/

La Tristesse
Revol
Motorcycle Emptiness
NEW ART RIOT!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:43
Winterlover

Love that shirt. Never seen it before.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dext37 Fielding View Post
from 1hr 19 mins onwards, some classics, better quality than the radio rip in S&V, Astoria 94!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...oe_02_12_2010/

La Tristesse
Revol
Motorcycle Emptiness
NEW ART RIOT!!!!!!

Could we have a bit more discretion, please.