Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-02-2016, 18:17
Freed from the century

Journal...the samples

So, JFPL is richeys words as we all know, with some editing etc where necessary

However what I was think of earlier when listening to the album was the samples. Were these chosen by the band (Mr Wire I presume if so) or are they annotated in The 'Folder' or from clippings / notes etc?
Old 01-02-2016, 18:36
A self-made vacuum

The sample from Virgin Suicide is from around 1999 or 2000, so that's definitely not in the "folder". I don't think the others were either.
Old 01-02-2016, 19:39
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmanine View Post
The sample from Virgin Suicide is from around 1999 or 2000, so that's definitely not in the "folder". I don't think the others were either.
Ahhh good point! Lol

I didn't think to check the samples dates.

The machinist was 2004 so there's my answer lol

Interesting that they were added then.

The folder fascinates me. I'm sure wire once said they considered making a book from it. Sadly we won't get to know the meaning behind some of the things, like the word opulence scratched in red on bugs bunny etc
Old 02-02-2016, 09:35
Stretched out in the sun

I think they work well enough, shame we'll never know what Richey thought of Journal. Don't even really know what Richey thought of The Holy Bible musically, as James has consistently pointed out he'd get a load of lyrics off Richey and write the music around them. Richey never contributed to the music, whether he was able to imagine the kind of sounds he'd like his lyrics put to, I have no idea. Whether Richey would've picked the samples the band did if he'd have been around when they were, I don't know. I'd like to think so...

It's interesting that they chose to use samples again. Actually, across the albums they've used them as often as not if we count the unauthorised use of Captain Beefheart on the promo version of As Holy As The Soil which wasn't on the final pressing.. Anyway, I love Journal For Plague Lovers and while there are the obvious similarities (Jenny Saville artwork, more than usual use of samples, no keyboards, Richey lyrics) I don't think they're really as is often made out.. Can't really put my finger on it but it just feels very different to listen to, maybe that's more to do with everything that's happened inbetween the albums than everything that happened in the studio though I don't know.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:41
Stretched out in the sun

I thought the Holy Bible samples were Richey's doing too, and listening to ones on Journal I think they fit just as well as the Holy Bible ones so could feel like his doing too. Well, if they'd existed before he buggered off.
Old 02-02-2016, 13:24
Winterlover

In some senses, I get the impression that Journal was as much an exercise in theory than anything else. Using the lyrics from Richey to connect with the past, to in some senses put it to bed. It might also partly explain the bands reluctance to play it much.

Although it is often said that Richey had a lot of control over things, I think that was more implied than anything else. The music of that era is pushed by his ideas and how he wanted the band to be, but that is quite abstract. The music and sonic side of things is very much from the hand of James.

That and given the lack of lyrical input from Nicky on both albums for obvious reasons, I guess he (as the band curator) would have directed it in the spirit of Richey.

That would be my (rough) take on how that all transpired.
Old 02-02-2016, 19:43
Freed from the century

I think he kind of had an idea because didn't he come out with the pantera meets screamadelica quote which James has since referenced?
Old 02-02-2016, 19:49
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
So, JFPL is richeys words as we all know, with some editing etc where necessary
And a great deal where it wasn't necessary, it could be argued. I was actually shocked by how far the editing and final presentation departed from what was clearly intended at times when you look at the original texts - William's Last Words and JCEQT would be the standard examples.

Quote:
The machinist was 2004 so there's my answer lol

Interesting that they were added then.
I recall Nicky saying in an interview when JFPL came out that The Machinist in particular was a film that they had discussed and that they were certain that Richey would have loved it, hence its inclusion.

They are right, of course. It is an excellent film (if anyone reading this hasn't seen it, do) and does fit perfectly even though it was released ten years later.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:09
Winterlover

Quote:
I think he kind of had an idea because didn't he come out with the pantera meets screamadelica quote which James has since referenced?
Yeah, he definitely said that and it was acknowledged by James too. I think the main thing there is I remember James saying how nervy he was presenting the songs that would form part of Everything Must Go to Richey. He wasn't sure how he felt about them etc, so that makes me think that he was certainly trying to meet Richey in the middle somewhere.
Old 03-02-2016, 20:10
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
Yeah, he definitely said that and it was acknowledged by James too. I think the main thing there is I remember James saying how nervy he was presenting the songs that would form part of Everything Must Go to Richey. He wasn't sure how he felt about them etc, so that makes me think that he was certainly trying to meet Richey in the middle somewhere.
Yep

Kevin carter James said he had a distinct feeling Richey didn't like and I'm sure he was worried for the first time there would be a division in what that band wanted to do
Old 03-02-2016, 20:20
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
And a great deal where it wasn't necessary, it could be argued. I was actually shocked by how far the editing and final presentation departed from what was clearly intended at times when you look at the original texts - William's Last Words and JCEQT would be the standard examples.
It may have seemed shocking because this was the first time that the band presented the original, unedited words to their audience. But it was nothing new. I remember reading an interview with James (possibly in Melody Maker) where he said that the original words for "Faster" were one side of lined A4 paper where Richey had filled the entire page from top to bottom.
Old 03-02-2016, 22:51
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

At the time, I found it odd that Nicky edited them for James to write music to. Surely the music should come first, then the editing. The tone was off got a few lyrics, the original lyrics for the song JFPL read like the hard R rated version of Archives of Pain 2 but ended up sounding like well Rush....

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 04-02-2016, 03:43
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post

As for Journal, there's also a Russian film sampled during Virginia State Epileptic Colony but no idea what it is.

"The Dialogues with Solzhenitsyn".
Old 04-02-2016, 22:02
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
I think they work well enough, shame we'll never know what Richey thought of Journal. Don't even really know what Richey thought of The Holy Bible musically, as James has consistently pointed out he'd get a load of lyrics off Richey and write the music around them.
Well as he was thinking along the lines of Pantera meets Screamadelica for the next album I don't think he had any problems with how James read and wrote the music for The Holy Bible

Quote:
Yep

Kevin carter James said he had a distinct feeling Richey didn't like and I'm sure he was worried for the first time there would be a division in what that band wanted to do
I think drawing from some of the things James has said about Kevin Carter that yes as you say he worried he wasn't doing justice to how Richey may have liked it to sound and before he left there was uncertainty about the future direction, the future sound but ultimately James has proved that you can take lyrics like those for Kevin Carter and you can both do it justice and make it a hit, get it listened to, get it airtime, and maybe in a way that wouldn't have happened if they had gone further down the spiral, so to speak. But who knows, Richey wasn't well, a stressful time
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 04-02-2016, 22:46
Builder of routine

I remember James said Richey thought Kevin Carter sounded like the girl from ipanema when he first played it to him. He responded something like *no promise you it won't sound like that* I think turning that into a huge deal that richey didn't like the direction the band was going in is a bit OTT. Wasn't it just played on an acoustic ?