Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 22-07-2014, 05:54
LadyWoodbee's Avatar
LadyWoodbee LadyWoodbee is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Berlin
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffenS View Post
Lol..thank you for this link, Yuo've made my day, didn't know there was a video about it
You're welcome. Did you notice how much he emphasizes that they were playing in a very cold hangar-type venue that night? And that it was very cold? And like a hangar? Thus very cold? Oh, and have I mentioned that it was very cold?

Love this. Men worrying about "inadequacy", clutching at any straw trying to find excuses for it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffenS View Post
Who said that commies can't pose for Vanity Fair?
Hm... Maybe Fidel Castro? Bet he would have loved Nicky in that favourite white dress he bought there! Definitely not a fashion disaster but really quite beautiful. And I'm jealous of his nice legs.




Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffenS View Post
Lol,You've got a crush on him, you have lacked a father figure... I'm jocking . Even if my grandpa and math teacher are single I don't thik they are as charming as James could be. You know, they do not write any kind of nice music. As a man I can say that in recent times James's looking well, I think so. I do not like beards on people who don't need it.
You're actually spot on with that father figure thing. And what do you mean, you don't like beards on people who don't need it? Who, according to you, does need it; what are the criteria? Personally, I'm convinced every man needs one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffenS View Post
He doesn't look like James just because of his East-Asian type eyes, i don't know. JDB's chameleon-like eyes have gradually changed over time. In the first Manics' pics James used to cross the eyes, after that he appeared blue-eyed. When I watched the video for Tolerate for the first time i got used to the idea that was his natural eyes colour (up to that time I've only seen the video for Motorcycle) .
Chameleon-like eyes? How very charming of you! I never noticed anything strange about his eyes, always seemed the same colour to me.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 22-07-2014, 06:05
LadyWoodbee's Avatar
LadyWoodbee LadyWoodbee is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Berlin
Posts: 386
How about a round of odd one out? Which of these five lovely young men looks just a lliiiiiiittle more stylish than the rest? At least to everyone who got stuck in the 80s?


Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 22-07-2014, 10:31
Scarecrow's Avatar
Scarecrow Scarecrow is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Up North
Age: 39
Posts: 6,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarsideways View Post
I enjoy Nicky's fashion disasters so much that I spend a considerable chunk of my life putting together me-sized recreations of them
Impossible. You look good, Nicky looks like a twerp.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 22-07-2014, 10:35
sofarsideways's Avatar
sofarsideways sofarsideways is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Age: 34
Posts: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post
Impossible. You look good, Nicky looks like a twerp.
Just gonna take this as further evidence of your closeted Nickylove.
__________________
I'll fax you an apology
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 22-07-2014, 11:36
Scarecrow's Avatar
Scarecrow Scarecrow is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Up North
Age: 39
Posts: 6,581
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 22-07-2014, 12:56
amaitheanhorn's Avatar
amaitheanhorn amaitheanhorn is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Wales
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffenS View Post
Sorry in This one they're looking terrible
Looks like they've gone for a week in Spain and have just been told that their bags, which were lost on the way over, won't be arriving today after all.

I can't believe they looked at each other and thought it was ok to allow them to be photographed in those clothes! Sean has flip flops on

I think it's got to be one of the worst fashion diasters, because I don't think they realise how bad it is. At least when they dress up they're having fun with it and know it's a bit silly.



Awkward uncles.

Last edited by amaitheanhorn; 22-07-2014 at 13:20.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 23-07-2014, 07:10
WaffenS's Avatar
WaffenS WaffenS is offline
An imitation of dignity
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mexiko
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWoodbee
You're welcome. Did you notice how much he emphasizes that they were playing in a very cold hangar-type venue that night? And that it was very cold? And like a hangar? Thus very cold? Oh, and have I mentioned that it was very cold?

Love this. Men worrying about "inadequacy", clutching at any straw trying to find excuses for it.
The cold as an excuse? Such a creative spirit don't you think? By the way, what do you think he's talking about, what does he mean with sweat and oher stuff? He sounds pretty scatological.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWoodbee
Hm... Maybe Fidel Castro? Bet he would have loved Nicky in that favourite white dress he bought there! Definitely not a fashion disaster but really quite beautiful. And I'm jealous of his nice legs.
Oh, Castro was the first capitalist commie. I also think that Castro is in the Manics' view a trendy chap. Unless you're girl you don't need to feel envy because of those well shaved legs. As you say i don't think Wire is a walking fashion crime.



Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWoodbee
You're actually spot on with that father figure thing. And what do you mean, you don't like beards on people who don't need it? Who, according to you, does need it; what are the criteria? Personally, I'm convinced every man needs one.
Yeah, there's a criteria. People having a short neck and round face, I mean men, don't need a beard. So, JDB is a little bit, you know, he has those chubby cheeks. So I think Jame hit the nail on the head when he decided to wear those v-neck t-shirts. He has finally found its shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWoodbee
Chameleon-like eyes? How very charming of you! I never noticed anything strange about his eyes, always seemed the same colour to me.
Never mind... I mean, to this day nobody has been able to explain me why in "If you tolerate this..."video JDB appears blue-eyed.. I mean what was the purpose in making him look this way? Anyway
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 23-07-2014, 07:16
WaffenS's Avatar
WaffenS WaffenS is offline
An imitation of dignity
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mexiko
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaitheanhorn View Post
Looks like they've gone for a week in Spain and have just been told that their bags, which were lost on the way over, won't be arriving today after all.

I can't believe they looked at each other and thought it was ok to allow them to be photographed in those clothes! Sean has flip flops on

I think it's got to be one of the worst fashion diasters, because I don't think they realise how bad it is. At least when they dress up they're having fun with it and know it's a bit silly.



Awkward uncles.
I also think they wanted to make a splash in Cuban waters but they were all taken with tricks to the photo-shoot ; ) Right , Sean's flip flops and capri pants are the worst fashion crimes I've ever seen.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 23-07-2014, 11:54
Manicben's Avatar
Manicben Manicben is offline
Builder of routine
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Milton Keynes
Age: 38
Posts: 16,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
I found the hamster coat:



2001-2005 appear to be full of dark moments.
Yup. That's the one....

His current jackets can give that a run for their money though. Currently going global on the front of the NME. :s
__________________
[SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 23-07-2014, 14:08
amaitheanhorn's Avatar
amaitheanhorn amaitheanhorn is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Wales
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffenS View Post
Never mind... I mean, to this day nobody has been able to explain me why in "If you tolerate this..."video JDB appears blue-eyed.. I mean what was the purpose in making him look this way? Anyway
Sean's eyes are also blue in the video. Propably contacts but possibly edited after. The video is mostly two tone, blue and white. Even their hair and skin has a bluish tint. I just think Sean and James' eyes would have been too much of a contrast for the tone of the video.

That way the only strong colour contrast in the video is the blood running and the family clothing (and healthy skin colour compared to the Manics' blue toned skin).

Not sure if that makes sense, I'm rambling a lot!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 23-07-2014, 17:45
LadyWoodbee's Avatar
LadyWoodbee LadyWoodbee is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Berlin
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaitheanhorn View Post
Sean's eyes are also blue in the video. Propably contacts but possibly edited after. The video is mostly two tone, blue and white. Even their hair and skin has a bluish tint. I just think Sean and James' eyes would have been too much of a contrast for the tone of the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffenS View Post
Never mind... I mean, to this day nobody has been able to explain me why in "If you tolerate this..."video JDB appears blue-eyed.. I mean what was the purpose in making him look this way? Anyway
You know what... I'd never even noticed this until I watched the video again just now; how sad is that? Bad fan, LadyWoodbee, bad fan! But yeah, you're right!


Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffenS View Post
The cold as an excuse? Such a creative spirit don't you think? By the way, what do you think he's talking about, what does he mean with sweat and oher stuff? He sounds pretty scatological.
So you noticed his cryptic mentio of the other "you know... stuff" as well, eh? I wasn't going to bring it up because I felt guilty for the associations that gave me...


Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffenS View Post
Oh, Castro was the first capitalist commie. I also think that Castro is in the Manics' view a trendy chap. Unless you're girl you don't need to feel envy because of those well shaved legs. As you say i don't think Wire is a walking fashion crime.
I'm not so sure how they actually feel about him. The way they talk(ed) about it, that whole Cuban adventure was born out of naivety really, and it ended up being a bit uncomfortable and surreal in the end, too. I don't remember which interview it was or I'd post the link, but only a while ago I saw a video on Youtube in which James told the story of Castro coming to the gig (and the Manics not being aware of it initially... I kind of doubt that, to be honest) and them being invited to all sorts of events by and with him. James said he didn't quite know what to feel about it, particularly pictures of them shaking his hands and all being in the press, because of course the Manics don't endorse everything Castro says and does (well, said and did, more like).

And yes, I am a girl (as implied by my nickname ) so I'm entitled to feel jealous of Nicky's nice legs! He's sitting very elegantly too in that picture - so much more gracefulyl than I could ever manage to, haha!


Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffenS View Post
Yeah, there's a criteria. People having a short neck and round face, I mean men, don't need a beard. So, JDB is a little bit, you know, he has those chubby cheeks. So I think Jame hit the nail on the head when he decided to wear those v-neck t-shirts. He has finally found its shape.
LOL! He hasn't been wearing those v-necks for quite a while now, has he? And considering he doesn't exactly have the physique he had during nothing-but-white-v-necks-overkill-era (i.e. THB era), according to your theory he now needs those v-necks more than ever! I quite like the whole military jacket/uniform thing him and Nicky have going on at the moment again, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffenS View Post
I also think they wanted to make a splash in Cuban waters but they were all taken with tricks to the photo-shoot ; ) Right , Sean's flip flops and capri pants are the worst fashion crimes I've ever seen.
Well, he could have made it worse be wearing flipflops AND socks, which would seem like a very British (and German, too) thing to do. They certainly do look like British tourists in that second Cuban pic because of the shirts - and (here we go again with the headwear problems) NIcky's hat!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 24-07-2014, 02:29
Dac X Lee's Avatar
Dac X Lee Dac X Lee is offline
I live to fall asleep
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Posts: 3,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWoodbee View Post
And I'm jealous of his nice legs.


His legs look better than mine.
__________________
100 0100 110 0001 111 0010 110 1001 110 0001
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 26-07-2014, 05:29
WaffenS's Avatar
WaffenS WaffenS is offline
An imitation of dignity
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mexiko
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWoodbe
You know what... I'd never even noticed this until I watched the video again just now; how sad is that? Bad fan, LadyWoodbee, bad fan! But yeah, you're right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaitheanhorn
Sean's eyes are also blue in the video. Propably contacts but possibly edited after. The video is mostly two tone, blue and white. Even their hair and skin has a bluish tint. I just think Sean and James' eyes would have been too much of a contrast for the tone of the video.

That way the only strong colour contrast in the video is the blood running and the family clothing (and healthy skin colour compared to the Manics' blue toned skin).
Not sure if that makes sense, I'm rambling a lot!
Your're not rambling at all, I've noticed that strong color contrast you say, specially between the red and blue, so, I think you're right, it makes a lot of sense that this video was created as a whole to highlights that bloody stuff. On the other hand I was thinking the whole family appeared with tanned skin because it might refer either to the indifference to mportant issues or to the chemical compounds' effects , you know, like sulfur mustard , phosgene or napalm, but as far as I know some of those warfare were first introduced during the second world war, anyway ...




Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWoodbe
I'm not so sure how they actually feel about him. The way they talk(ed) about it, that whole Cuban adventure was born out of naivety really, and it ended up being a bit uncomfortable and surreal in the end, too. I don't remember which interview it was or I'd post the link, but only a while ago I saw a video on Youtube in which James told the story of Castro coming to the gig (and the Manics not being aware of it initially... I kind of doubt that, to be honest) and them being invited to all sorts of events by and with him. James said he didn't quite know what to feel about it, particularly pictures of them shaking his hands and all being in the press, because of course the Manics don't endorse everything Castro says and does (well, said and did, more like).

And yes, I am a girl (as implied by my nickname ) so I'm entitled to feel jealous of Nicky's nice legs! He's sitting very elegantly too in that picture - so much more gracefulyl than I could ever manage to, haha!
I personally think they wanted to repel the ghosts of the past, they just begin to feel uncomfortable about the idea of being labeled as procommunist chaps. I feel they have been tying themselves up in knots in all that utopian dream of the communist stuff, they're getting kind of fed up with that,up to the point of becoming apolitical without noticing it. I dunno but I think they all make reference to these things in Futurology. Some lines the likes of : <<So you played in Cuba did you like it brother?>>, <<Old songs leave long shadows>>, lead me to believe that. Also when they sing <<Im the Sturm und Drang>> make me think they wanna leave behind all that left-wing thing and to assume a new posture of citizens of the world, I wouldn't hesitate to say that Nicky has been reading a lot of stuff the likes of Goethe and so, Marx is now thing of the past.




Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWoodbe
LOL! He hasn't been wearing those v-necks for quite a while now, has he? And considering he doesn't exactly have the physique he had during nothing-but-white-v-necks-overkill-era (i.e. THB era), according to your theory he now needs those v-necks more than ever! I quite like the whole military jacket/uniform thing him and Nicky have going on at the moment again, though.
I dunno but honestly, i believe he must continue to wear those v-neck t-shirts, if it gets too hot at some gigs he wouldn't be able to take his shirt & tie off, also you wouldn't like to see his nipples, would you? Naturally he can afford to wear that martial/militar jackets 'cos they fit many shapes and it seems he has lost some weight as well.The militar jackets suit him very well, his actual look is the best of the best of all his outfits so you'got to agree with me , JDB never had a style until he has started to wear some of those italian-cut militar jackets and skinny jeans. In my opinion, they've come up with this refreshed image due to Futurology, i mean, they needed to reflect the european style, some kind of flawless aesthetics.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 26-07-2014, 14:58
LadyWoodbee's Avatar
LadyWoodbee LadyWoodbee is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Berlin
Posts: 386
HELP!!! The tartan suit is back!!! Someone just posted this over on FB (from Fuji Rock):

Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 26-07-2014, 16:32
Geranium Terrorists's Avatar
Geranium Terrorists Geranium Terrorists is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: in the midst of rich people in Surrey
Posts: 552
James looks even more schoolteacher in that one. You're a famous musician, not head of Geography at Blackwood Comprehensive!
__________________
The early bird catches the worm...
does the worm think that that's the way we all go?

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 17:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.