Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-09-2010, 18:19
Bored out of my mind

O2 Academy, Birmingham - postponed

I know we've got a meet-up thread but needing some info on directions and parking and stuff. Just over a month to go so might as well get a thread started, eh? Anyways, a work colleague confused me because she said the
O2 Academy is past the statue of the bull and next to McDonalds. Not sure if she meant in the direction of Selfridges or in the opposite direction. I think she may be talking about the O2's former address before it moved as on Google it shows it on Bristol Street almost directly opposite to the Arcadian Car Park. What I need to know is whether The Arcadian is the nearest and most accessible CP for the Academy. Also what sort of access is there for crossing the main road as I don't weant to risk life and limb if I can help it! Is it clearly visible from the main road (Bristol Street) or is it more tucked away somewhere? Still not looking forward to driving along the A38 as it is the most confusing section of road ever! Many thanks for any advice and lets look forward to October! Woo!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 22-09-2010, 19:25
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
I know we've got a meet-up thread but needing some info on directions and parking and stuff. Just over a month to go so might as well get a thread started, eh? Anyways, a work colleague confused me because she said the O2 Academy is past the statue of the bull and next to McDonalds. ...What I need to know is whether The Arcadian is the nearest and most accessible CP for the Academy. Also what sort of access is there for crossing the main road as I don't weant to risk life and limb if I can help it! Is it clearly visible from the main road (Bristol Street) or is it more tucked away somewhere?
I think your friend may be referring to the old Academy which was on Dean Street opposite McDonalds and not far from the Bull Ring within Brum City Centre, whereas as you rightly say, the new O2 Academy is on the other side of New Street Station on a dual carriageway and is very obvious.

Re: crossing the road, there's crossings further down the road near the shops and takeaways on Smallsbrook but don't leave it until the roundabout right outside the venue or it gets a bit tricky, I've nearly been hit a few times!

I'm not even going to try to direct you by car even though I've lived here my whole life; I'm bad enough at directing pedestrians but the site has this car park info - don't shoot me if you've already seen it:

Car Parks:

If you are travelling by car, parking in the streets surrounding O2 Academy Birmingham is limited but there are numerous car parks in easy walking distance. Please plan your journey accordingly.

Euro Car Parks, Thorp Street, B5 4AT 64 spaces
Mon – Sat 7am – 1am

Sunday 7am – 12am

Euro Car Parks, Hill Street / Hinckley Street, B5 4AN 21 spaces
24 hours / 7 days a wk

The Mailbox, Wharfside Street
Birmingham, B1 1XL
690 spaces
24 hours / 7 days a wk

Arcadian Centre, 41 Bromsgrove Street, B5 6NU
500 spaces
24 hours / 7 days a wk

NCP – Albany
24 hours / 7 days a wk

NCP – Pallasades

1000 spaces
24 hours / 7 days a wk

Hope that's some help!
Old 23-09-2010, 06:15
Bored out of my mind

Is the Arcadian the nearest then? Don't want miles to have to walk in the dark! So going by what you see on Google maps it's at the top end of Bristol street near the roundabout. Thanks for the crossing info as that was worrying me a bit!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 23-09-2010, 08:16
I live to fall asleep

Be VERY careful about the time the car park shuts. My brothers mate found his car had been locked in the Moor St car park after a gig a couple of months ago.

Just look for the giant Japanese fountain thing, you can't miss it.

Also, we found a lot of the touts were really nice and helpful with directions. You'll get a nice Brummie welcome either way - I've always found it a very friendly place so people will give you directions if you need them.
Old 23-09-2010, 09:17
Doors slowly closing

Arcadian is probably the nearest of the 24hr ones. But it might be better to park in the Pallasades as it is right next to New Street Station which is where everyone will be headed back towards anyway. It's about 5 mins walk from the venue and really easy to navigate to.
Old 23-09-2010, 20:28
Bored out of my mind

Sue said it was 15 mins from the Pallasades but maybe she was getting mixed up with the two Car Parks. Cheers for the info Loz! I'm just thinking the Pallasades is a bit more fiddly to get to than the Arcadian. Did try to memorise the route when doing a coach trip to the Hippodrome. Hopefully it will come back to me! For the A38 I need to follow the signs for the City Centre and Bromsgrove don't I? Don't want to end up outside the NIA!
Old 24-09-2010, 11:30
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

The Albany NCP is the closest 24 hour one, about 5 mins walk from the venue & right by the Alexandra Theatre.

The Arcadian's another five mins walk away - although the security there is better so it's probably worth the extra trek.

I'd be careful with the Pallasades car park - part of it has already closed because of the redevelopment of New Street station, I think the top level's still open but they're getting ready to do major demolition work, so it could end up being closed soon.

If anyone gets lost on the way, the new Academy is where The Dome nightclub used to be - most Brummies will know where that was, for wrong or right reasons!
Old 26-09-2010, 16:53
Bored out of my mind

Cheers for the info Counterlanguage. That's what I was wanting to know. 10mins isn't too bad but will Google directions for The Albany and try that one as well. At least there are plenty of well known and thus signposted places nearby so should be able to find it ok.
Old 26-09-2010, 17:08
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterlanguage View Post
The Albany NCP is the closest 24 hour one, about 5 mins walk from the venue & right by the Alexandra Theatre.

The Arcadian's another five mins walk away - although the security there is better so it's probably worth the extra trek.

I'd be careful with the Pallasades car park - part of it has already closed because of the redevelopment of New Street station, I think the top level's still open but they're getting ready to do major demolition work, so it could end up being closed soon.

If anyone gets lost on the way, the new Academy is where The Dome nightclub used to be - most Brummies will know where that was, for wrong or right reasons!
Or for us even older farts it was once known as the Night Out venue, I went there in 1974 to see Mike and Bernie Winters but there was a bomb evaculation before they came on stage
Old 26-09-2010, 17:09
Footprint of history

Quote:
Cheers for the info Counterlanguage. That's what I was wanting to know. 10mins isn't too bad but will Google directions for The Albany and try that one as well. At least there are plenty of well known and thus signposted places nearby so should be able to find it ok.
Come down early so you can plan where to go
Old 26-09-2010, 19:03
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
Or for us even older farts it was once known as the Night Out venue, I went there in 1974 to see Mike and Bernie Winters but there was a bomb evaculation before they came on stage
I don't recall Mike but Bernie Winters always seemed to be on tv during my early childhood. Usually on weekend tv with Schnorbitz his St Bernard dog.
Old 26-09-2010, 19:22
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamonroe View Post
I don't recall Mike but Bernie Winters always seemed to be on tv during my early childhood. Usually on weekend tv with Schnorbitz his St Bernard dog.
Thats the one, they were a poor man's Morecombe and Wise in the 70's, they were brothers but fell out
Old 26-09-2010, 19:24
Under neon loneliness

Weekend tv was as bad then as it is now! Celebrity Squares, Generation Game, Seaside Special etc
Old 26-09-2010, 19:27
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
Come down early so you can plan where to go
Don't worry Sue, I intend to! Can't decide if 3 O'clock pm is a tad early. Then there's deciding when and what to eat. Decisons, decisions! At least at the NIA you can buy a hotdog!
Old 26-09-2010, 19:29
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Don't worry Sue, I intend to! Can't decide if 3 O'clock pm is a tad early. Then there's deciding when and what to eat. Decisons, decisions! At least at the NIA you can buy a hotdog!
It's Birmingham! There are loads of places to buy food Tracey!