Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 25-04-2010, 19:08
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcap07 View Post
I may just be slapped, banned or else for what I'm about to say but , let's go...:

IMO, Know You Enemy is to be taken a bit like Nicky's Holy Bible. It's full of disgust, hate, delusion, sadness, with himself, the world, society...It's like his vision of life at the time. Maybe that's why this album hasn't been received like the previous ones. Maybe we weren't expecting that. It's just so pessimistic through and through and sometimes obscure.
I personaly think Nicky wasn't feeling very well at this point of his life and needed to speak things out (just like I think he did when making IKTZ).
Most lines are very depressing or full of contained rage.
And musically, maybe they just felt the need to experiment and that brought us the likes of Miss Europa Disco Dancer or Ocean Spray.
Maybe they were simply pissed by being critically acclaimed for EMG and TIMT

I don't know, it's just how I feel about this album. It's not on my top list, but I listen to it regularly. There are some great songs on it...
Interesting theory, I don't think it's as bleak as you make out and often I think that Wire exxagerates his feelings to make better lyrics, he's hardly a tortured soul is he?

However you do have a point, the whole idea of KYE was to bring back the idealism, the dreary outlook and the experimental music. It's definitely an album like THB which has to be heard in full to get the entire experience.
Old 25-04-2010, 20:06
I live to fall asleep

Now this is going to be laughed at, but I find, out of all of the albums, KYE is the most consistant. It has the fewest stand out tracks of any Manic's album, but then, I personally don't think there's a particularly bad track on there.
Certain songs, I literally can't remember how they go.
I think it works as an album, as for singles? Well, naa mate

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 25-04-2010, 20:15
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafetti View Post
Now this is going to be laughed at, but I find, out of all of the albums, KYE is the most consistant. It has the fewest stand out tracks of any Manic's album, but then, I personally don't think there's a particularly bad track on there.
Certain songs, I literally can't remember how they go.
I think it works as an album, as for singles? Well, naa mate
So you find it consistently forgettable?
Old 25-04-2010, 20:16
Bored of being bored

Am I the only one who doesn't care about singles? I mean, I consider an album as a whole and it's really not important if there are no 'good singles' on it.
Forget about what the record companies require, from an artistic/creative point of view, I think singles are completely meaningless....

Just my two cents!
Old 25-04-2010, 20:17
Bored out of my mind

Well I thought the singles were good ones!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 25-04-2010, 20:20
Winterlover

I judge albums based on how often I listen to them, and to be honest I'd rather stick on KYE than TIMTTMY or dreary Lifeblood, so I'll happily join an Appreciation. The great songs on it are amazing, unfortunately it's just the bad songs are dire. Royal Correspondent is simply one of worst things they ever recorded, but I do still enjoy listening to KYE in full for the contrast and for the sheer hot mess of some of the tracks. Oh and unfortunately the KYE era visually was a complete mess also

His Last Painting is without a doubt one of the best tracks, it's so underrated.
Old 25-04-2010, 20:25
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I still smile at the "food/chewed" rhyme. There is a gentle self parody of the bands "left" stance in "Royal Correspondent" as well as a pisstake on the other side as well.
This thread took it's time, but the KYE love is flowing... slowly...
Old 25-04-2010, 20:26
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundthatsoul View Post
I judge albums based on how often I listen to them, and to be honest I'd rather stick on KYE than TIMTTMY or dreary Lifeblood, so I'll happily join an Appreciation. The great songs on it are amazing, unfortunately it's just the bad songs are dire. Royal Correspondent is simply one of worst things they ever recorded, but I do still enjoy listening to KYE in full for the contrast and for the sheer hot mess of some of the tracks. Oh and unfortunately the KYE era visually was a complete mess also

His Last Painting is without a doubt one of the best tracks, it's so underrated.
the bold bits: yes, so very true.

it was also the album that got me into the manics, the first one i bought as a new album on the day of release, so i'll always have a fond memory of it.
i think of it as a "when it's good it's very very good, but when it's bad it's utter wank" album. found that soul, epicentre, his last painting, the convalescentm, intravenus agnostic are all bloody brilliant.
Old 25-04-2010, 20:28
Bored out of my mind

Never understood the abject hatred for this record. Such a mix of stuff going on in it.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 25-04-2010, 20:38
Doors slowly closing

I love Royal Correspondent... never understood the dislike for it.
Old 25-04-2010, 20:41
Bored out of my mind

I just LOVE the guitar solo in Royal Correspondent!
Old 25-04-2010, 20:48
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I love the bassline (Is it a chorus or a flanged pedal, Manic Musicians?) and when the drumshot klcks in as well.
Old 25-04-2010, 21:07
Winterlover

I don't really dislike it but for me it's one of those rare songs that have kinda worn out in active listening. That said, it's full of really nifty things musically - the drumbeat, the filtered guitar/bass/whatever, etc.
Old 25-04-2010, 21:47
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStone View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't care about singles? I mean, I consider an album as a whole and it's really not important if there are no 'good singles' on it.
Forget about what the record companies require, from an artistic/creative point of view, I think singles are completely meaningless....

Just my two cents!
I don't care about singles. I never buy any, only whole albums and EP's, so...I'm with you on this!

Old 25-04-2010, 21:52
Bored out of my mind

Singles means b-sides though!