Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-06-2017, 22:12
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR View Post
Am just wondering why they don't stand by the albums that the press have slated? It always aligns with what brought them critical acclaim. Anyway, didn't KYE shift as many as SATT ? It's bizarre they had an anniversary for the latter, what did that album do by anybody's standards, bar win the band more favourable reviews than the previous two? What's there to celebrate? Is there some kind of nostalgia there that I'm missing?
I think that if someone new to the band wanted to know which album to listen to to get a feel for the band I'd recommend Send Away the Tigers over Know Your Enemy

& yeah there probably is some nostalgia there, it does seem an album they all particularly enjoyed making....not sure if you've come across the following interview with Nicky, it's taken from the Repeat fanzine and might help answer your question https://www.repeatfanzine.co.uk/Rant...y%20tigers.htm
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 08-06-2017, 10:59
I live to fall asleep

I just popped into a record shop on my travels down south and managed to bag promo copies of Autumnsong and Indian Summer for £1 each, yay. Feels like 2007 all over again this lately and SATT is just out
Old 08-06-2017, 18:27
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
I just popped into a record shop on my travels down south and managed to bag promo copies of Autumnsong and Indian Summer for £1 each, yay. Feels like 2007 all over again this lately and SATT is just out
Down south? Where is this fabled place where everything isn't a rip-off ???
Old 08-06-2017, 19:05
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Down south? Where is this fabled place where everything isn't a rip-off ???
It was a small record shop in Clacton on Sea. Was just passing and thought I'd pop in, glad I did I also got Show Me The Wonder on vinyl too (brand new, not used) for £2. The owner told me he had 300 copies of it in the back haha!
Old 08-06-2017, 19:41
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
It was a small record shop in Clacton on Sea. Was just passing and thought I'd pop in, glad I did I also got Show Me The Wonder on vinyl too (brand new, not used) for £2. The owner told me he had 300 copies of it in the back haha!
Cool I miss proper physical manics singles
Old 09-06-2017, 21:34
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
Curiously, The Love Of Richard Nixon and Empty Souls peaked at 2 in Britain (both higher than all the singles from KYE - FTS 9, SWSS 8, OS 15, LRS 19) - and were the highest charting singles since Masses.

I've always strongly suspected that Cardiff Afterlife was to be released as a single but was shelved after the album sold below expectations.
They played Song For Departure on Jools Holland, so maybe that was being considered as well? Why 1985 wasn't the lead off single remains one of the strangest decisions of their career.
Old 09-06-2017, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
It must be very hard to ignore the financials. Especially compared to the glory years of multiple platinum sales or whatever. The money is what keeps them in the life of millionaires and on a label. I'd defy anyone to not end up writing songs that work towards that.
Yep. I seem to remember an interview when Nick and James were asked about their solo albums the very first thing they said was that the albums didn't sell. No mention of the songs or anything else. It is their livelihood I suppose.
Old 09-06-2017, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Besides hits, it seems like MSP considers a record a success if they had a positive time making it.

I think Lifeblood is better than SATT, but they band didn't have a good time making that record, so they don't like it, even though most fans feel that Lifeblood is superior.
Yep. I remember an interview where James was rating the albums and he put Journal For Plague Lovers quite low. He said he rated it there because they found it a hard record to make for obvious reasons.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:21

They had a good time making it, and it probably came out very close to what they went in intending to make. Can't fault them on that really.

But fucking hell I really hate it.
Old 12-06-2017, 20:34
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR View Post
Yet didn't a lot of the singles from Lifeblood chart highly too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
Curiously, The Love Of Richard Nixon and Empty Souls peaked at 2 in Britain (both higher than all the singles from KYE - FTS 9, SWSS 8, OS 15, LRS 19) - and were the highest charting singles since Masses.
They charted so highly I think because a) music was really shit around that period, and b) they did a special promo box thing are each single didn't they? Was it two CDs or three? With badges and stuff.

They did get two Number 2s but it was skewed with the promo campaign.
Old 12-06-2017, 20:37
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
They had a good time making it, and it probably came out very close to what they went in intending to make. Can't fault them on that really.

But fucking hell I really hate it.
I just don't like the loudest and production of it. It's just too much. And although the songs are actually very well written, they sound too well written or too obvious. I just never got that era at all. I loved Lifeblood in Winter 2004/5 and JFPL in Spring 2009 but I didn't listen very much to the Manics in between.
Old 12-06-2017, 21:57
Bored out of my mind

I think SATT and the reaction to it made them feel wanted and relevant again. The NME sung their praises a lot around that time, culminating in the God-like Genius Award and a headline slot at the NME Big Gig in 2008. It got the band back in the mainstream music media again, which I think they felt they needed after Lifeblood not being much of a hit outside the existing fan base. They seemed to pick up a lot of new young fans around that time too. Didn't they say that's what they needed in order to pave the way for JFPL? I'm sure I remember them saying something like that anyway.
Old 13-06-2017, 09:49
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
They seemed to pick up a lot of new young fans around that time too. Didn't
Myself included.
Old 13-06-2017, 16:39
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Cool I miss proper physical manics singles
Same here. Used to be so delighted getting both CDs (yes) at the same time (sometimes having to go to different places to hunt down both) and discovering the b-sides.

Ah well. The world moves on.
Old 13-06-2017, 16:54
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
They charted so highly I think because a) music was really shit around that period, and b) they did a special promo box thing are each single didn't they? Was it two CDs or three? With badges and stuff.

They did get two Number 2s but it was skewed with the promo campaign.
Can't remember, and a half-hearted search hasn't revealed anything. There were signed postcards in the bulk bundle for Indian Summer much later. My memory, which is utterly unreliable, is that there was some sort of promo aspect to almost every single from KYS onward, particularly once you could pre-order online.

Music was very shit indeed around that period though - you're spot on there.