Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 25-02-2011, 10:30
I live to fall asleep

Indian Summer Appreciation Thread

Some people might know me from my harsh criticism of PFAYM when it was released there in Sept (was it Sept - I don't even remember!!) I havent listened to the album since before Christmas. It just sounds too over produced for me with weak songs.

Anyhow one positive that has come out of this is that I have rediscovered SATT. I didn't overly listen to it at the time but I've found a new appreciation for it.

I really cannot stop listening to Indian Summer though. For me it is the nostalgic anthem that many of the songs from PFAYM are trying to me. Ok, so the lyric might not be a politically or socially charged as some of Nickys best, but the nostalgic melancholy of male friendship strikes a chord with me. Particularly the line, 'Maybe this time we'll kiss and we'll not shake hands,' and also them 'finding the reasons, the reasons that made us be'.

I really dig the video for it as well. JDB looks like he really digs that song when they are doing the performance bits in it.

Great solo in it too.
Old 25-02-2011, 10:36
Winterlover

I really like the whole feel of the song, at the time I mentioned the lack of melancholy but this is one of the songs that has it. It's my favourite from the album.
Old 25-02-2011, 10:40
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
If I ever get around to relearning French I might use SATT as the mood music for it as "Ou est ce que tu habites?" fits perfect with the first line in the chorus.
I still like SATT and this is an overlooked highlight, apart from this thread.
Was it their last single to go top 20?
Old 25-02-2011, 10:44
I live to fall asleep

Good song, and the lyrics you mentioned are also my fave. I like the repetitve bass near the end.

I mean, it's a nice song. Imperial Bodybags should have been a single instead of it though.
Old 25-02-2011, 10:45
A self-made vacuum

It's a lovely song... a true gem
Old 25-02-2011, 10:50
Desire on its knees

Oh, I love Indian Summer. I agree with it being a nostalgic song, it just conjures up the feeling of a lazy summer for me as well, and it's the best song lyrically on SATT. And I do love the video for it, I think it's adorable

I was indifferent to SATT after probably overlistening to it when I first got it, but when I listened to it again after not listening to it in a while, I realised it's actually a really enjoyable album (Underdogs aside, it's one of the few Manics songs I hate). I used to prefer PFAYM but I prefer SATT now.
01/06/15 - Wolverhampton Civic Hall
Old 25-02-2011, 11:30
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
Some people might know me from my harsh criticism of PFAYM when it was released there in Sept.....

nope, could you give us a reminder, please?

good to see ya still around, mate.
blog
Old 25-02-2011, 12:19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
Some people might know me from my harsh criticism of PFAYM when it was released there in Sept (was it Sept - I don't even remember!!) I havent listened to the album since before Christmas. It just sounds too over produced for me with weak songs.

Anyhow one positive that has come out of this is that I have rediscovered SATT. I didn't overly listen to it at the time but I've found a new appreciation for it.

I really cannot stop listening to Indian Summer though. For me it is the nostalgic anthem that many of the songs from PFAYM are trying to me. Ok, so the lyric might not be a politically or socially charged as some of Nickys best, but the nostalgic melancholy of male friendship strikes a chord with me. Particularly the line, 'Maybe this time we'll kiss and we'll not shake hands,' and also them 'finding the reasons, the reasons that made us be'.

I really dig the video for it as well. JDB looks like he really digs that song when they are doing the performance bits in it.

Great solo in it too.

It is a good song but the time signature is too close to A Design For Life for me. It feels like a lost classic.
Old 25-02-2011, 12:47
A self-made vacuum

It is a great song. I also echo the sentiments of the song being the soundtrack to a lazy summer/spring day. Gorgeous.
Old 25-02-2011, 12:50
I live to fall asleep

I love Indian Summer, it's my second favourite song from SATT. I know quite a few people have a massive dislike for it on here, but I personally think it's one of the highlights of the album.
Old 25-02-2011, 13:27
Bored out of my mind

I love Indian Summer, of course! Another great one to have blasting from the car, but then aren't all Manics songs? (Nicky vocals aside! )
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 25-02-2011, 13:34
Builder of routine

I love Indian Summer, it's a great track, my 2nd favourite on SATT. I was so lucky to hear it once live. it reminds ADFL very much, even Nicky admited that.
Old 25-02-2011, 13:40
Knowlede Is Power

I also love this song. I think it is beautiful, and I love the lyrics - the line "Maybe this time we'll kiss and we'll not shake hands" contains so much emotion and hits me in the same way as the "I've thought about it a million times..." line from The Second Great Depression.

Its one of three songs from that album that I never caught live, somehow, and probably one of the ones I most wanted to. Dammit.

Regards,
Marwood.
Old 25-02-2011, 13:45
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwood View Post
I also love this song. I think it is beautiful, and I love the lyrics - the line "Maybe this time we'll kiss and we'll not shake hands" contains so much emotion and hits me in the same way as the "I've thought about it a million times..." line from The Second Great Depression.

Its one of three songs from that album that I never caught live, somehow, and probably one of the ones I most wanted to. Dammit.

Regards,
Marwood.
I agree, that line gets me too in the same way.
Old 25-02-2011, 14:42
Freed from the century

Yeah excellent song. To be honest I just have a bizarre love for the album, it's sonically perfect (for me), big bass and crunch sounds, and just reminds me of the summer it came out, which was pretty glorious.