Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-11-2009, 20:37
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilienation View Post
What I don't understand is how he drank so much vodka while not eating much. And didn't he drink loads of coffee? I can't remember where I heard that one, but... yeah. That doesn't sound very nice on an empty stomach either. Ewww, imagining all this makes me die inside a little bit.
I imagine he died a little inside too, although in a more literal sense. Ho ho ho.
Old 16-11-2009, 20:37
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Wait. Eating disorders make you thin?
But then you put it all back up, don't you?
Old 16-11-2009, 20:39
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhgrg View Post
I imagine he died a little inside too, although in a more literal sense. Ho ho ho.
I Greggy.
Old 16-11-2009, 21:02
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilienation View Post
What I don't understand is how he drank so much vodka while not eating much. And didn't he drink loads of coffee? I can't remember where I heard that one, but... yeah. That doesn't sound very nice on an empty stomach either. Ewww, imagining all this makes me die inside a little bit.
he was mentally ill. probably thats why you dont understand it. people seem to have almost superhuman charachteristics when mentally ill - the anorexics who run miles when they have eaten nothing is one example. I doubt anyone can make senseof it all unless they go through the exact same experience.
Old 16-11-2009, 21:09
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
Nope, remember, he could never make a cup of coffee without something going wrong.

I laughed, sorry
Old 16-11-2009, 21:20
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseyn View Post
I laughed, sorry
Don't be. It was probably funnier than this entire thread.
Old 17-11-2009, 03:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

Re: the liver thing

"His stay at The Priory was punctuated with bright moments and gentle ribbing. How tickled they all were at Richey's indignation when tests on his liver revealed he hadn't been drinking quite as much as he'd claimed."

From here. It also mentions that anecdote about the other Manics calling him "Mr. Blobby," which seems relevant to this thread.
Old 17-11-2009, 04:56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver10 View Post
My vodka is calorie free....he was probably drinking calorie free vodka anyway. Grapes are sugar but mostly water. potatos are carbs, so he would burn that off with a lot of exercise which I think he was doing then. You could also get a potato that has less than 200 calories pretty easily. chocolate can be burned off with his exercising too, since it would be burned off because its sugar. The amount he ate probably wasn't very much either... There are three types of starvation. the most dangerous one and the one that will produce a great deal of weight loss in the shortest amount of time is acute starvation, which is 500 calories or less a day. His diet could easily be less than 500 a day.
How can you have calorie free vodka? Most of the calories are in the alcohol, you can't get rid of the alcohol and still have vodka...
Old 17-11-2009, 05:52
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychosweetie View Post

"His stay at The Priory was punctuated with bright moments and gentle ribbing. How tickled they all were at Richey's indignation when tests on his liver revealed he hadn't been drinking quite as much as he'd claimed."

From here. It also mentions that anecdote about the other Manics calling him "Mr. Blobby," which seems relevant to this thread.
OMG THANK YOU. I couldn't fucking find it anywhere.
Old 17-11-2009, 08:18
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
How can you have calorie free vodka? Most of the calories are in the alcohol, you can't get rid of the alcohol and still have vodka...
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that your body has to use a certain amount of energy to process any calories. Sometimes it takes more energy to process certain things than is actually in the food or drink (like celery, lots of berries etc.) I don't know. See I don't make the alcohol I just drink it
Old 17-11-2009, 08:19
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
Nope, remember, he could never make a cup of coffee without something going wrong.

haha. That was funny.
Old 17-11-2009, 09:26
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychosweetie View Post

Ooh that's a good article - have you got the rest of it? So if Richey wasn't drinking the amount he had said, does anyone know the actual amount he was drinking at the time? As in, was it much less?
Old 17-11-2009, 15:13
Winterlover

Quote:
Ooh that's a good article - have you got the rest of it? So if Richey wasn't drinking the amount he had said, does anyone know the actual amount he was drinking at the time? As in, was it much less?
I'm not sure anyone could answer you question hun unless they knew him quite well. If the reports of experiences backstage during his tenure with the band are to be believed (numerous sources have stated as much), he was often inebriated to the point where he would pass out and on occassion had to be carried out by their management and/or handlers. I think it stands to reason that he was consuming quite a bit of alcohol.

Anyway, regardless of what that liver test may have confirmed, it doesn't mean he wasn't an alcoholic. More than likely it just means he was exagerating the amount he was consuming.
Old 17-11-2009, 18:08
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
It is a good article, I agree! And yes, I do have the rest of it. I can upload and PM it to you when I get home this evening.

I'm guessing he was still drinking lots, although I'm sure not eating much of anything probably intensified the drinking experience.
Old 17-11-2009, 23:22
Winterlover

Quote:

A think it may have been a joke - Richey getting all upset his liver wasn't completely pickled.
He gave up the drink didn't he as part of the 12 steps.
Only nothing is given to really take it's place so what you have to help blot things out is taken away hence I guess more cutting.
Not that any of this really matters now.

Drink to sleep.
Starve because it gives you control.
Feel sick and faint a lot
Die
Die thin, obviously
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson