Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-11-2009, 18:01
Banned

Weird Things You've Done because You're a Manics Fan

Saw a guy last week wearing a sailor's suit who looked a good bit like Richey, I had to slap him on the ass, I couldn't restrain myself.
Old 06-11-2009, 19:11
Bored out of my mind

Bought 9 copies of SATT. Bought Guitarist Magazine cos James was on the cover. Erm, erm.................. I think that's it!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 06-11-2009, 19:43
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Bought 9 copies of SATT.
did you at least buy tape, cd, mini-disc & vinyl, or was it just a straight 9 copies of the same disc? either way, far out man.

don't know if it's weird by the standards of Manics fans, but Michele (the lady on my avatar with the "slightly chubby Bono") and I took our honeymoon some nine months before our wedding date so we could see the Manics & Ian Brown in Dec 2002. in Newcastle. when it was cold. and thank you one and all to all the fans on the train, in the bars and at the gig that made it amazing for us
blog
Old 07-11-2009, 06:50
Stretched out in the sun

I used to play a few Les Pauls despite thinking they were cluky pieces of shite with one tone even at Gibson level.

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:08
Builder of routine

Not downright weird, but things that'd seem unlikely to be related to the Manics to people:

* joined livejournal
* made a shitload of friends
* researched a lot of religion and psychology, amongst some things
* realised that any band's just a band at the end of the day, but they can be pretty special at that
* became more open-minded about just listening to things that weren't on the britpop spectrum
* dressed like a girl in order to be more of a guy, I could've never done the gender expression thing right without them
* taken slash writing pretty seriously
* they've almost stopped me si-ing once. if there weren't more people and things involved, I probably would have kept to that
* fell in love with Simon Price, Martin Hall, Rachel Edwards etc.
* NOT taken on reading the 'Richey book list' because I was curious about some of these titles before, and then I got the feeling of 'blah, been done already' and just decided to be myself
* craved 'HIV' on a bathroom wall. Amongst other 'art' failures
* gave Angie Kruger my time of day, and I think she and the 'friend' who got me into it still owe me a bottle of vodka
* tried to get a job to MEET AK
* written a comparison between Richey's lyrics and Barbie Girl
* convinced myself rambling is ~art~
* gained some gentler side to my personality, especially after getting into Nicky's lyrics in This Is My Truth...
* took time to decide life can be good and I want to do something I really like, as opposed to 'just live'
* Would never utter the sentence 'I have a politix degree', even if I'll have time to study it
* Most of my LJ is probably about Richey

Last edited by Slideling; 07-11-2009 at 11:58.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:46
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Bought 9 copies of SATT. Bought Guitarist Magazine cos James was on the cover. Erm, erm.................. I think that's it!

I've only got 6 copies! They're all different, like.

I dare say that there can't be many people on here who've spent more on Manics in proportion than I have...
Old 07-11-2009, 08:47
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by leericketts View Post
did you at least buy tape, cd, mini-disc & vinyl, or was it just a straight 9 copies of the same disc? either way, far out man.

don't know if it's weird by the standards of Manics fans, but Michele (the lady on my avatar with the "slightly chubby Bono") and I took our honeymoon some nine months before our wedding date so we could see the Manics & Ian Brown in Dec 2002. in Newcastle. when it was cold. and thank you one and all to all the fans on the train, in the bars and at the gig that made it amazing for us
All CD's of SATT. I don't know what came over me! I gave a copy to a colleague as well!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 07-11-2009, 09:03
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
All CD's of SATT. I don't know what came over me! I gave a copy to a colleague as well!
9 of the exact same cd? You're worse than me! Er.. I got the cd, promo, usa cd, japanese 1cd, japanese 2cd and LP.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:04
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richian View Post
Not downright weird, but things that'd seem unlikely to be related to the Manics to people:

* joined livejournal
* made a shitload of friends
* researched a lot of religion and psychology, amongst some things
* realised that any band's just a band at the end of the day, but they can be pretty special at that
* became more open-minded about just listening to things that weren't on the britpop spectrum
* dressed like a girl in order to be more of guy, I could've never done the gender expression thing right without them
* taken slash writing pretty seriously
* they've almost stopped me si-ing once. if there weren't more people and things involved, I probably would have kept to that
* fell in love with Simon Price, Martin Hall, Rachel Edwards etc.
* NOT taken on reading the 'Richey book list' because I was curious about some of these titles before, and then I got the feeling of 'blah, been done already' and just decided to be myself
* craved 'HIV' on a bathroom wall. Amongst other 'art' failures
* gave Angie Kruger my time of day, and I think she and the 'friend' who got me into it still owe me a bottle of vodka
* tried to get a job to MEET AK
* convinced myself rambling is ~art~
* gained some gentler side to my personality, especially after getting into Nicky's lyrics in This Is My Truth...
* took time to decide life can be good and I want to do something I really like, as opposed to 'just live'
* Would never utter the sentence 'I have a politix degree', even if I'll have time to study it
* Most of my LJ is probably about Richey

fantastic on so many levels
Old 07-11-2009, 11:04
A self-made vacuum

People (including casual Manics fans) find it strange that I would like to queue up early to get near the front. I don't queue up as early as I did for Wembley Arena 2002, but that was probably the weird one as it was freezing cold and I was there probably 2 1/2 hours before doors opened.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:59
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bought In View Post
fantastic on so many levels
Thank you.
Old 07-11-2009, 14:59
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
i am almost afraid to ask this.....did you have 10 and now have 9 because you gave one away, or did you have 9, gave one away and then buy a replacement?

look, i listened to SATT again after not playing it from the initial disappointment of the first few hearings and it is nowhere near as bad as it could have been, but nine copies? fuck me, i thought i was excessive having two different copies of THB because of the different artwork on the face of the discs and then going and buying the 10th anniversary edition....
blog
Old 07-11-2009, 15:02
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richian View Post
i stand in awe of the strength of character and self-affirmation you get from the Manics - nice one, this is what "art" should do.

curiosity has the better of me - any highlights from the comparison that you want to share with us mate?
blog
Old 07-11-2009, 15:03
Stretched out in the sun

See this thread for all your weird Manics fan needs.
Old 07-11-2009, 15:14
Builder of routine

I know Simon Walpole and Dean saw what I wrote, but I don't have it anymore. Basically Barbie Girl works like an essay on men's manipulation of women, and you can find the Manics have made similar points, although I guess they've addressed feminism from a more anti-capitalist view.

I've never quite actually finished it either - What I've done was I've basically taken lines from Barbie Girl/Richey Edwards and put them next to each other. I think the lyrics to Yes work very well in that sense. I also had She Bathed Herself In A Bath Of Bleach... Tried to not get too obvious with the Little Baby Nothing comparison One more OTT, far fetched comparison was 'You can say I'm always yours'/'I really don't mind being lied to', but hey, my biological clock was truly fucked then