Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-05-2009, 16:39
Bored out of my mind

Ok. That's enough Stranglers loving.

"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 24-08-2009, 21:47
Freed from the century

I really can't hear the Duchess/Tolerate thing at all, but,
and maybe I'm insane, everytime Lily Allen's new single '22' comes on the radio I can't help but hear 'My Guernica'. Is it just me?
Old 24-08-2009, 21:50
I live to fall asleep

Just had a listen and....I hear nothing similar between the two songs at all.
Old 24-08-2009, 23:01
Stretched out in the sun

The chorus has a couple of similar chords to Tolerate but that's it. And considering there are only so many chords in the world, most songs could be accused of ripping off other songs.
Old 25-08-2009, 07:15
Bored out of my mind

Exactly! And how many vocals sound a bit similar to others! No wonder lawyers have a field day!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 25-08-2009, 08:28
I am purity, they call me perverted

"And it sounds like an empty house /Standing still /And it's quieter than a mouse /Standing still" = "And on the street tonight an old man plays..."

And the outtro is, erm, similar!

Still, who cares??
Old 25-08-2009, 16:12

Yeah I can see the similarity actually. It's hardly what the Enemy did with London Calling or Common People though.
Old 25-08-2009, 17:42
Bored out of my mind

The 'ah- ah's' are a tiny bit similar to me. And James' are far better anyway!
Old 03-09-2009, 13:30
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Why sue a band 30 years later for having oh-so-slighty similar vocalisations then? Whats the point in that I wanna know!
2009 - 1979 = 30
1998 - 1979 = 19

Which'd be roughly equivelent of Manics suing me for ripping off the chorus of Motorcycle Emptiness, which'd probably be fair game.
Old 03-09-2009, 20:48
Bored out of my mind

But it's a vocalisation! I still say the actual music doesn't bare any similarities. But that's just me!
Old 11-11-2009, 20:00

But the Stranglers love the Manics - well Hugh Cornwell saw them at Bath Moles.....

"Former Stranglers front man makes Moles debut

Hugh Cornwell, the locally-based former lead singer of The Stranglers, returns to Bath on Wednesday for a surprise second major show in the city this year.

The Box singer/songwriter, who played an extremely well-received concert at Komedia in March, will be making his first ever appearance at Moles as part of a warm-up for an important national tour, on Wednesday.

But, although it will be Hugh’s debut live show at Bath’s most famous venue, he is certainly no stranger to its underground delights.

“I’ve never played Moles before”, said Hugh. “I used to go there a lot in the past and thinking about it, I must have spent an awful lot of drinking money there.

“It was always a good place for seeing bands and I can remember seeing The Manic Street Preachers there before they broke. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Ok. That's enough Stranglers loving.

1st July 1993 Leeds Town & Country Club, 8th April 1996 Leeds Town & Country Club, 8th October 1996 Leeds Town & Country Club, 12th December 1996 Cardiff International Arena, 24th May 1997 Manchester Nynex Arena, 23rd August 1997 Reading Festival, 26th June 1999 Glastonbury Festival, 26th August 2001 Leeds Festival, 6th December 2002 MEN Arena, 11th July 2003 Move Festival,17th December 2004 MEN Arena, 17th April 2005 Leeds Refectory, 9th May 2007 Leeds Refectory, 11th October 2010 Leeds Town & Country Club, 1st June 2015 Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 2nd May 2018 Leeds Arena, 27th May 2019 York Barbican, 10th September 2021 Piece Hall, Halifax, 7th October 2021 Leeds Town & Country Club

www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums
www.jamesradley.co.uk
Old 11-11-2009, 21:30
Bored out of my mind

Hugh, you're gonna have to grovel A LOT more than that before I forgive you!