Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 19-10-2017, 21:30
I am purity, they call me perverted

It's important to remember that whatever Nicky Wire says between albums is usually the opposite of what happens. Expect a new album announcement next week after this.
Old 20-10-2017, 08:01
Stretched out in the sun

This thread's got me thinking about more of me favourite Wire gobshite moments, "Springsteenesque sets", Lifeblood being "The Holy Bible for 30 year olds" and Know Your Enemy not being their best album but one of the best albums ever.

He's the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 20-10-2017, 12:28
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
This thread's got me thinking about more of me favourite Wire gobshite moments, "Springsteenesque sets", Lifeblood being "The Holy Bible for 30 year olds" and Know Your Enemy not being their best album but one of the best albums ever.

I also love his clearly ridiculous claim when KYE came out that it was the album they should’ve made when they first started the band.
Old 20-10-2017, 12:44
I live to fall asleep

I'm still waiting for 'The White Album played by Guns n Roses'.
Old 20-10-2017, 14:34
Doors slowly closing

No need to force another album out for the sake of it next year. Release a follow up to Lipstick Traces instead. It will be better.

'Quarantine (In My Place of a New Album) - B-sides & Rarities 2004-2017'

Let's go.
Old 20-10-2017, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
No need to force another album out for the sake of it next year. Release a follow up to Lipstick Traces instead. It will be better.

'Quarantine (In My Place of a New Album) - B-sides & Rarities 2004-2017'

Let's go.
YES! I was thinking how much I'd love Lipstick Traces II while we wait patiently for new material.
Old 20-10-2017, 16:14
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
It's important to remember that whatever Nicky Wire says between albums is usually the opposite of what happens. Expect a new album announcement next week after this.
This, essentially. All part of the usual merry-go-round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exopotamie View Post
I was alarmed enough by the article to log back in here so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnleybassman View Post
Ha snap! It might also give me an opportunity to finally get up to 3,000 posts after all these years!
Welcome back. Please don't leave us...

(wait for it)

(wait)

...all alone here.
Old 20-10-2017, 16:34
Winterlover

To be fair, they wouldn't be the only band not making new music. System of a Down, Rage and plenty of other bands have done years of touring purely on the basis of their back catalogues. And the Pixies did a good few years of just playing old stuff before they went back into the studio.

With the amount of music they band have made, if they aren't excited about new music, they could always do a bunch of themed tours. What about a PPF style tour, or a B-sides night, or even a 2000's night? Any of those would involve shaking up the setlist and could create a buzz about the classics that people have forgotten.
Old 20-10-2017, 21:47
Bored out of my mind

As everyone else has said, there's no way they would have just got a joint mortgage together on a new studio if they were going to call it quits any time soon. It just doesn't make sense! I think the reason they did so many random summer festivals was to help pay for said new studio too, so it seems like quite a major financial commitment that you wouldn't take on lightly if you didn't think there was much future in it.

I think they've been thrown off course a bit by external factors, namely the fact they were without a studio for a while after they lost Faster Studios (judging from Sean's Twitter updates, they haven't been moved into the new studio for that long) and also Nicky's family situation. I can see how both things could have halted the creative process a little bit or made it trickier to get into the flow of writing an entire album. Not that I have any experience of writing songs/music, but it seems like something you have to be in the right frame of mind to do.

I don't really mind waiting if it means they'll come up with something better than if they rushed to release an album. I don't mind them taking a break from touring until they have new material either (as much as I enjoy seeing them live lots).
Old 21-10-2017, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Angel View Post
YES! I was thinking how much I'd love Lipstick Traces II while we wait patiently for new material.
I would prefer a box set of all their B Sides really. There are just too many to fit into a 20 track album.
Old 21-10-2017, 12:05

Quote:

My favourite was probably the Teletext interview after Lifeblood where he claimed the next album would be even more electronic. I'm still waiting for that

And of course "70 Songs of Hatred and Failure".

I have moments where, for one reason or another, I'm unhappy with how my own music's going, and I contemplate giving up all together, selling off my gear, just being happy with what I've achieved to date. My moments of low self-esteem can be crushing and tie in with mental health issues I have, so I can completely see how Nicky might be in a similar place with his family stuff and the shake-up of the band due to the studio move. Sometimes the idea of putting that effort into your art when you're unhappy with what you've done recently just doesn't seem worth it, and the future seems simpler if you just give up. You really do mean it at the time.

Doesn't mean you're not on a roll again a few days later, though.
Old 21-10-2017, 13:16
A self-made vacuum

GT of course was meant to be their original final album. Which in itself is an odd statement being they had just signed a 10 album contract.

I remember James stating around Truth/KYE that the band was nearer the end than the beginning. Most of their albums around that era were no doubt rumoured as being their final albums at one point.
Old 21-10-2017, 21:13
Doors slowly closing

Have the Manics made their final album?

Nahhhh.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 21-10-2017, 22:01
Desire on its knees

Nicky often says things in interviews with a bit of sarcasm or irony which look very different in print. Anyway wasn’t there talk recently of loads of new lyrics about being disillusioned with politics? As well as James saying he wanted to play a Flying V guitar and rock again.
Old 22-10-2017, 13:42
I live to fall asleep

Quote:

As always enjoyed the Last Shot at Mass Communication one with PFAYM.

Yes Last Shot at Mass Communication with your worst album.