Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 15-12-2014, 13:09
I am purity, they call me perverted

Agree about those that chat their way through a gig........I find it intensely annoying if you can't get away from them.

Hope 1985 is back tonight, don't care for Postcards.
Old 15-12-2014, 17:32
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by baphomet_irl View Post
there was definitely one guy who constantly trolled but I can't remember his nick - i think myself and 'Cackman' used to counter troll/tag-team him the odd time for fun.
Nigel still posts on another Manics forum, although not under the name of Nigel.
Old 15-12-2014, 17:59

Just getting back from the Dublin gig yesterday … Absolutely incredible! The Holy Bible set definitely felt special and truly awesome to have witnessed. It’s been a longtime since I’ve heard ‘Yes’ live. Do appreciate ‘This Is Yesterday’ as a full band, but it works so hauntingly well as just an acoustic (just my humble preference). The band seemed to be up for it and were well engaged .. anyone else think Sean seemed to be (more than usual?) leathering the crap out of the drums. Second set was great .. I too wouldn’t have minded hearing ‘1985’ over ‘Postcards’, just for the reason of never having heard that live before (with a big gap of my seeing the Manics live during the ‘Lifeblood’ era .. with (still) living in the US). ‘Dreaming A City’ sounded phenomenal live! I loved ‘Divine Youth’ (still one of my faves on Futurology). What a beautiful theatre for the experience too … little and old. Thought the pictures of the various bands etc, who had played the venue over the years was neat .. spotted a couple Bowie ones.

Definitely have a “crowd” gripe. We were stood over on the left hand side just behind that first barrier, next to a pole/balcony support and hugging the painted white lines of “keep clear” space. Throughout the gig people were coming forward from the back, from what seemed to be spotting the open space of the “keep clear” pathway down to the front. When they got to that front point area, the venue staff were telling them they needed wrist bands to go any further and invited them to slide in where they could off the “keep clear” and in the main standing area.

Now, I should preface: It does not matter for me at least, how long you’ve been a fan , if you’re there as a one off event etc etc, but at least have in mind the appreciation and communal recognition everyone in the room bought a ticket for the same endeavor .. to see the band and see them play something pretty special. For my money, by all means squeeze past, push through, head where you want, but do it with some neighborly friendliness and “know your enemy” is not your fellow gig goer because they are one inch closer to the band than you are.
My gripe is because two guys appeared behind us right as the band started to play “Tolerate”. We had occupied our same spot for the whole gig so far. By the end of the song, the one guy was yelling and swearing in my face telling me to “move in as (he) was being blocked from seeing by the pole”. The place was packed and “buddy” could see that .. where he wanted me to go I have no idea. I invited him to push past and try and get in the thick of the crowd, but I was pretty happy where I/we were stood .. couple people behind that barrier and a decent view of the stage. I certainly wasn't physically vacating the spot I was stood on for some drunken arse, a good foot taller than me, because I was in the spot he wanted??? Tried to push me and the wife out of the way a couple times, until words were exchanged and he realized we weren’t going anywhere … eventually he and his mate pushed his way in to the middle somewhere. My point: I think crowds at gigs are (?have been?) getting more rubbish …. You’re all there for the same .. enjoy the gig and don’t be out to ruin it for others. My 10 cents.

To put a real positive cherry on the weekend and emphasize how special and awesome it was: when we got to the airport yesterday morning and were getting breakfast in the departure lounge, my wife (who had gone to the bathroom) comes back to the table and goes “James is sat at the table (and points) over there”. I stand up and sure enough .. James and Wayne are sat about 15 ft away at a table. I could see he was eating and deliberated for a little bit if I should go over. After about 10 mins decided to. Walked up and excused myself, apologizing for interrupting. Told him “I was a massive fan of the band and couldn’t pass up saying hello and thank you for such a special night of seeing the Bible”. Mentioned we had “flown in from Boston for the weekend just for the show and was heading home”. Didn’t ask for a photo or anything signed as it seemed the step over the line given I just interrupted the guy from his breakfast, but he was SUPER nice! Thanked me for the “massive effort of traveling so far to see the show” and wished a “good Christmas”. Shook his hand and went and sat back at our table. 15 minutes or so later, I see James heading to our table .. he was leaving to catch his flight I assume. He walked up to the table and reached out to shake my hand again and just “thanks so much for coming out to see us. Get home safe and have a good Christmas”. Needless to say, I spent the 7hr flight back to Boston with a shit eating grin. Phenomenal band, musicians and people!
Manchester Nynex-May97; Manchester M.E.N-Dec98; Glastonbury-Jun99; Manic Millennium-Cardiff -99/2000; Manchester Apollo-Mar27 01; Manchester Apollo-Mar28 01; LLandudno Conf Ctr-Aug 01; Leeds Fest-Aug01; V2002 Staffs-Aug02; Manchester Move Fest-Jul03; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May09; Seattle Neumo's-Sept09; Vancouver Commodore-Sept09; New York Webster Hall-Oct09; Boston Paradise-Oct09; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May11; London O2 Arena-Dec11; London Brixton Academy-Apr11th 14; London Brixton Academy-Apr12th 14; Dublin Olympia-Dec14; New York Webster Hall-Apr15; Boston Sinclair-Apr15; Chicago Metro-Apr15; Los Angeles Fonda-May15; Liverpool Echo-May16; Birmingham Genting-May16; Llangollen Llanfest - July17; Birmingham Arena-April18; Manchester Arena-April18; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May18

Last edited by ooberfan; 15-12-2014 at 18:05.
Old 15-12-2014, 18:25

Awesome! great story
Old 15-12-2014, 20:00
Doors slowly closing

I was going to either post in the Manchester or Dublin thread, as i went to both. But decided on this one, simply as it's the most recent. Both gigs were a similar experience, but Dublin is most fresh in my memory.

The thing about MSP, is it's just as much about the music as it is about the delivery... and oh did they deliver. THB isn't my favourite MSP album, in fact i've always kept it quite low in the list of favourites. But what alot of people are now starting to see is that it is a tremendous live album, it was born to be played live! It was delivered spot on by Bradfield and Co, for me it outdoes any version of the record you can lay your hands on, the songs sound so much more intense and vital played live. Especially Mausoleum! I never liked that song until i heard it played live, it's a proper Manics anthem and i think the band are beginning to realise it gets a very good crowd reaction. Nicky called it a 'singalong anthem' by the time Dublin came around and he's right! It absolutely should've been introduced back into the set years ago, around the time of KYE perhaps. When they originally played it in 1994 people didn't know it very well, so they probably assumed it was dead in the water... well not so! ITHOE was also great to hear, again not played since 1994 although i can understand why with this one. It's one of those 'go to the bar' songs for the 'Tolerate/ADFL' fans, however that's not to say it shouldn't be rolled out once in a while. What struck me the most about the shows is how fucking good the band are as a three piece. It reminded me of the days of the KYE mini-tour, when they were playing small venues and it was just the three of them (with Naysmith's keyboards, although he never really bothered me much and you couldn't hear him over James' guitar on that tour anyway). No backup guitar or vocals, definitely much prefer it this way. Gives James much more opportunity to fill the sound and not spend time posing or swinging his guitar around.

The second set was random as hell, although i knew the set in advance it was stil a surprise that they were brave enough to play some of the songs live. Although i was confused by the inclusion of PFAYM (why?!) in the set in Dublin, but other than that Dreaming a City sounded huge and i never expected EVER to hear an instrumental live! I'm glad they've given Futurology a proper run live, 8 tracks over two tours is about right and they seem to be very proud of the songs.

Anyway, overall both gigs reminded me how great they still are and how much it means to me that they're still around. Had a fantastic two days, best in a long time (ok i always say that). It's always nice when you can find an excuse to go away because your favourite band are playing somewhere, especially this time of year. Still can't imagine NOT seeing them without a year going by, have booked tickets for the Wolverhampton show next year!

Last edited by Radiomanic; 15-12-2014 at 20:15.
Old 15-12-2014, 20:24
An imitation of dignity

Id just like to give a special mention to the guy holding up the Wales flag for most of the first 10 minutes of the second set.

Thank god you eventually moved because you were going to get decked. vvanker
14 Oct 1996 Sheffield City Hall Sheffield
24 May 1997 NYNEX Manchester
21 Sep 1998 Trentham Gardens Stoke
10 Dec 1998 Sheffield Arena Sheffield
4 May 2001 Smithfield Dublin
23 Aug 2001 International Arena Cardiff
9 Oct 2002 Renfrew Ferry Glasgow(James solo)
1 Dec 2002 Point Theatre Dublin
29 Jun 2003 Glastonbury Festival Glastonbury
13 Jul 2003 Witnness Festival Punchestown
8 Dec 2004 Dublin Olympia Dublin
11 Jan 2005 CIA Cardiff
29 Nov 2007 Dublin Ambassador
30 Nov 2007 Dublin Ambassador
Old 15-12-2014, 21:06
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooberfan View Post
Just getting back from the Dublin gig yesterday … Absolutely incredible! The Holy Bible set definitely felt special and truly awesome to have witnessed. It’s been a longtime since I’ve heard ‘Yes’ live. Do appreciate ‘This Is Yesterday’ as a full band, but it works so hauntingly well as just an acoustic (just my humble preference). The band seemed to be up for it and were well engaged .. anyone else think Sean seemed to be (more than usual?) leathering the crap out of the drums. Second set was great .. I too wouldn’t have minded hearing ‘1985’ over ‘Postcards’, just for the reason of never having heard that live before (with a big gap of my seeing the Manics live during the ‘Lifeblood’ era .. with (still) living in the US). ‘Dreaming A City’ sounded phenomenal live! I loved ‘Divine Youth’ (still one of my faves on Futurology). What a beautiful theatre for the experience too … little and old. Thought the pictures of the various bands etc, who had played the venue over the years was neat .. spotted a couple Bowie ones.

Definitely have a “crowd” gripe. We were stood over on the left hand side just behind that first barrier, next to a pole/balcony support and hugging the painted white lines of “keep clear” space. Throughout the gig people were coming forward from the back, from what seemed to be spotting the open space of the “keep clear” pathway down to the front. When they got to that front point area, the venue staff were telling them they needed wrist bands to go any further and invited them to slide in where they could off the “keep clear” and in the main standing area.

Now, I should preface: It does not matter for me at least, how long you’ve been a fan , if you’re there as a one off event etc etc, but at least have in mind the appreciation and communal recognition everyone in the room bought a ticket for the same endeavor .. to see the band and see them play something pretty special. For my money, by all means squeeze past, push through, head where you want, but do it with some neighborly friendliness and “know your enemy” is not your fellow gig goer because they are one inch closer to the band than you are.
My gripe is because two guys appeared behind us right as the band started to play “Tolerate”. We had occupied our same spot for the whole gig so far. By the end of the song, the one guy was yelling and swearing in my face telling me to “move in as (he) was being blocked from seeing by the pole”. The place was packed and “buddy” could see that .. where he wanted me to go I have no idea. I invited him to push past and try and get in the thick of the crowd, but I was pretty happy where I/we were stood .. couple people behind that barrier and a decent view of the stage. I certainly wasn't physically vacating the spot I was stood on for some drunken arse, a good foot taller than me, because I was in the spot he wanted??? Tried to push me and the wife out of the way a couple times, until words were exchanged and he realized we weren’t going anywhere … eventually he and his mate pushed his way in to the middle somewhere. My point: I think crowds at gigs are (?have been?) getting more rubbish …. You’re all there for the same .. enjoy the gig and don’t be out to ruin it for others. My 10 cents.

To put a real positive cherry on the weekend and emphasize how special and awesome it was: when we got to the airport yesterday morning and were getting breakfast in the departure lounge, my wife (who had gone to the bathroom) comes back to the table and goes “James is sat at the table (and points) over there”. I stand up and sure enough .. James and Wayne are sat about 15 ft away at a table. I could see he was eating and deliberated for a little bit if I should go over. After about 10 mins decided to. Walked up and excused myself, apologizing for interrupting. Told him “I was a massive fan of the band and couldn’t pass up saying hello and thank you for such a special night of seeing the Bible”. Mentioned we had “flown in from Boston for the weekend just for the show and was heading home”. Didn’t ask for a photo or anything signed as it seemed the step over the line given I just interrupted the guy from his breakfast, but he was SUPER nice! Thanked me for the “massive effort of traveling so far to see the show” and wished a “good Christmas”. Shook his hand and went and sat back at our table. 15 minutes or so later, I see James heading to our table .. he was leaving to catch his flight I assume. He walked up to the table and reached out to shake my hand again and just “thanks so much for coming out to see us. Get home safe and have a good Christmas”. Needless to say, I spent the 7hr flight back to Boston with a shit eating grin. Phenomenal band, musicians and people!
Thank you for sharing that beautiful story - even I am sitting here with a grin and I wasn't even there. That is just so adorable. Makes you proud to be a Manics fan. Just amazing!

PS: I agree on people being shitty at gigs though. I remember seeing Morrissey in Luxemburg which was a cool thing anyways when two girls asked my friend and me if we could move to the side (!!) so they could get to the front because Moz is their life. Thank god not everyone is like that! Awesome too you guys come ALL the way from the US
Old 15-12-2014, 21:09
An imitation of dignity

Great story ooberfan!!
Old 15-12-2014, 21:09
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
Nigel still posts on another Manics forum, although not under the name of Nigel.
OH no he's probably gonna attack me now when he sees my earlier post hehe

forever hoping we'll all make our way back...
Old 15-12-2014, 21:19
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by baphomet_irl View Post
OH no he's probably gonna attack me now when he sees my earlier post hehe
Was that the guy that used to be on that old manics chat? Whenever he signed out he used to say ''You all reek of something fierce.'' Or something along those lines.
Old 15-12-2014, 21:24
An imitation of dignity

Also very glad to hear it wasn't just me who had issues with people at the gig. I wondered if I was being a bit over dramatic but it's actually confirmed to me that yes, the Olympia did seem to have quite a high quotiant of assholes that night.
Old 15-12-2014, 21:32
Doors slowly closing

Unfortunately nearly every biggish gig these days has at least a few assholes. It's the main reason i find it increasingly difficult to motivate myself to make the effort to travel up to these gigs. I was just happy for once that i didn't end up next to any of them. Luck has a lot to do with it really. Although i have been at gigs that no matter how many times i moved, people were just chatting or being annoying in other ways.

Also, with the other night, to me it looked like they could have given out a few more wrist bands for the pit, because the rest of the standing area felt a little overcrowded. Whenever i saw into the pit it didn't look that rammed, but i could be wrong.
Old 15-12-2014, 21:36
An imitation of dignity

Well the guy standing beside me had his wristband on but chose not to go into the pit for some reason. I guess he was on his own though so fair enough, his choice and his wristband!
Old 15-12-2014, 21:41
Doors slowly closing

Nobody is going to refuse one even if they're not going in there i guess. I wouldn't anyway. I would be thinking that it's good to have options if your're not happy with where you end up.
I just missed out on one, but it was a blessing i think. Plus the sound is always going to be better a little further back from the stage.
Old 15-12-2014, 22:21
An imitation of dignity

There were 4 of us so would have been funny if some got and some didn't. I found the wristband thing a little strange but wasn't overly bothered by it. Probably for safety reasons given the sloped floor.