Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 20-12-2011, 08:51
I am purity, they call me perverted

Adding to my earlier mail, Sean had more gear generally than usual and, as several have noticed, the faster stuff was played close to the original tempo rather than speeding it up which they tend to do.

This suggests to me that they were going for accuracy in sound and that a CD or DVD release is in the offing!
Old 20-12-2011, 09:24
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
Adding to my earlier mail, Sean had more gear generally than usual and, as several have noticed, the faster stuff was played close to the original tempo rather than speeding it up which they tend to do.

This suggests to me that they were going for accuracy in sound and that a CD or DVD release is in the offing!
we can only hope, but there hasn't been any indications of it so far. There certainly was a few cameras but they were just for the big screens possibly

my friend also said that they usually put up notices to say that the gig is being filmed as they have to inform people of this, not sure if this is the case or not.There wasn't anything i saw about it anywhere unless it was on the ticket somwhere.

JUST DIVINE BRILLIANCE
Old 20-12-2011, 09:38
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeToDeath View Post
we can only hope, but there hasn't been any indications of it so far. There certainly was a few cameras but they were just for the big screens possibly

my friend also said that they usually put up notices to say that the gig is being filmed as they have to inform people of this, not sure if this is the case or not.There wasn't anything i saw about it anywhere unless it was on the ticket somwhere.
Its always in the fine print on the back. By entering you agree to be filmed.
Old 20-12-2011, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kyle16 View Post
Its always in the fine print on the back. By entering you agree to be filmed.
thats what i thought happened nowadays, i didnt get much chance to study mt ticket as my friend had them and then they were whisked of us in return for a wrist band

JUST DIVINE BRILLIANCE
Old 20-12-2011, 09:58
Winterlover

If they had any modern business sense they would release this as an audio download for £5, amazes me that with so many labels/bands complaining about illegal downloads and not making enough money, the real problem is they just don't evolve. If the manics want to continue making music while also making some money from it, they need to follow the likes of NIN in how they approach new ways of making money from downloads.
Old 20-12-2011, 10:20
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that Sean had an extra snare to the left of the hi-hat?

I wasn't watching him at the time but I wonder if he used it during Motorcycle Emptiness.
He uses it for La Tristessa.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 20-12-2011, 10:34
Winterlover

A second snare is not unusual, though I couldn't see it from my vantage point. Often drummers have a "soft" and a "hard" sounding one for going between a soft verse and a rock chorus. The guy from Jimmy Eat World uses his 2 quite frequently.
Old 20-12-2011, 10:54
Knowlede Is Power

Going back to a possible DVD release - judging by 'Leaving the 20th century' would there not of been some kind of interviews with fans at the venue?!
I know this is not essential and they didn't do it for the Cuba gig (for obvious reasons!) but it just seems a point worth making.
I'm hoping I'm wrong and they do release it, because it was in the top 3 gigs I've ever been too
Old 20-12-2011, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldistortion View Post
Going back to a possible DVD release - judging by 'Leaving the 20th century' would there not of been some kind of interviews with fans at the venue?!
I know this is not essential and they didn't do it for the Cuba gig (for obvious reasons!) but it just seems a point worth making.
I'm hoping I'm wrong and they do release it, because it was in the top 3 gigs I've ever been too
there certainly didn't seem to be any other filming going on, i was ther all day and never noticed, the camera guys only came out to the cameras just as the gig started too and i would have thought there would have been filming of arena filling up etc

JUST DIVINE BRILLIANCE
Old 20-12-2011, 11:13
Doors slowly closing

I'd say the lack of any sort of overhead crane means there will be no DVD of this.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 20-12-2011, 11:17
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldistortion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
I'd say the lack of any sort of overhead crane means there will be no DVD of this.
Yep, everything points towards this not being filmed for DVD release as far as I can see. I was at the Royal Albert Hall a couple of years ago when The Killers filmed their DVD and there were camera crews around all day interviewing fans etc and there were cranes during the gig. It all just seemed to be recorded for the big screens on Saturday.
Old 20-12-2011, 11:21
Builder of routine

Didnt someone say that nicky said filming was too expensive?
Old 20-12-2011, 11:34
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Didnt someone say that nicky said filming was too expensive?
He needs to have a word with Louis C.K

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/...ogle_news_blog
Old 20-12-2011, 11:41
Footprint of history

Quote:
I don't really see how those two things are connected, to be honest. They didn't seem especially concerned with "accuracy in the sound" on previous DVD's (quite rightly too; I don't want to hear the songs played live exactly as they are on record).

I really doubt a DVD will be released. As has been mentioned above, there are usually big, additional signs saying that the event is being filmed and there would be a more gear etc.
Old 20-12-2011, 11:45
A self-made vacuum

It was a good show and it looked great at times (would've appreciated that more if I was further back), but it would've worked better for me if it was more of a more standalone event, rather than being so soon after the end of PFAYM (or the extended end of that campaign).

It was like the Cardiff Arena show with a bit more, with the rare outings being the kind of songs that should've been played on the PFAYM tours. Found That Soul didn't have the bite it did 6 years ago, but still sounded great and was my favourite of the lot as I adore the song so much. I can't see that they didn't find FTS enjoyable to play, and the crowd seemed to love it. I felt a little bit emotional when This Is The Day played too - such an event with all of that history playing in the background made me feel like I never have at an MSP gig.

I'll have to hear it again, but I didn't think Empty Souls sounded any different to when it was played live around Lifeblood, lacking the pace of at IOW 2004.

More guests singing on a few more songs would've been welcome too, especially on the regular songs. Really pleased for them that they pulled it off though, and that despite not being one of the popular bands in a markedly different chart scape, they had that many people there to see them. I couldn't have handled any more than 38 songs myself, as I was completely drained by Motown Junk; my back is still aching now.

Nice to meet theb00radley there too.

Some pics below, the rest are here: