Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: Biggest Manics Folly?
not splitting after Generation Terrorists 3 2.59%
carrying on after Richey's disappearance 3 2.59%
Toiletgate at Glastonbury 6 5.17%
Lifeblood 2 1.72%
not releasing 1985 as a single 21 18.10%
Send Away The Tigers / Autumnsong single 7 6.03%
no singles from Journal For Plague Lovers 23 19.83%
quickly following JFPL with Postcards From A Young Man 27 23.28%
the singles chosen from PFAYM 6 5.17%
other, please kindly state what. 18 15.52%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-10-2011, 14:42
A self-made vacuum

Screwing their fans over.
Old 13-10-2011, 15:51
Knowlede Is Power

Not releasing singles from JFPL. I can think of reasons why they might not play them as much live, but some of those songs were amazing and would have done pretty decent had they been released as singles. Yes, the album needs to be played as a whole. But Starstruck had a good point with Tommy, which had singles released off it and it didn't end up hurting the album. I'm sure they would have had "profiting off Richey" thrown at them by critics, but that's ridiculous so I don't think it would have hurt them.

Runner-up is how they're so open with trashing elements of their back catalog. I know every band has some artistic decisions they'd like to forget, but I don't get how they can be so hostile to Lifeblood when there's some beautiful music on there. I know they're kind of big on self-deprecating humor, but telling the audience to head to the bar while they play Solitude Sometimes Is is just painful because that's a nice song.

And personally, I think Crappergate was hilarious.
Old 13-10-2011, 15:57
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardsfromayoungman View Post
Screwing their fans over.
Every single fan they've ever had, really. Apart from Gutless.

Their biggest folly of all was probably when they went out of their way to alienate the 'Mondeo drivers' and then spent the rest of their career (to date) failing to court them back with dross+strings and singles compilations.
Old 13-10-2011, 15:59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermintrude the Cow View Post
KYE was released too early. It would have been an excellent post-9/11 album.
I can't see that. It was anti-american...post 2003 maybe....released straight after 9/11 it would have bombed...
Old 13-10-2011, 16:05
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
I can't see that. It was anti-american...post 2003 maybe....released straight after 9/11 it would have bombed...
And even though they're not well heard of here, word would still get out and their reputation would be destroyed.
Old 13-10-2011, 16:05
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
You want to be more careful with your wording there!

But yeah, I can imagine the censors giving it a rough ride. New York City Cops by The Strokes got took off their album because... I don't know really.

I still love Know Your Enemy, anyway.
Old 13-10-2011, 16:25
I live to fall asleep

Like most people, I've gone for quickly following JFPL with Postcards From A Young Man.
There was just no need for it. They were on fire, in terms of energy and creativity.
They were incredible live and were making some really exciting sounds with some great ideas.
They'd already covered the re-hashed EMG ground on SATT, we didn't need another over-egged attempt.
They should have gone away, proud of all they'd achieved in the last few years, taken stock and come back with something fresh and new - not just peddle out some self-parodying Manics-by-numbers dad rock affair, which even they themselves admit was a desparate attempt to ape their past glory.
PFAYM was the first time in my long Manics fandom where they've genuinely bored me. Yawning at their Lincoln gig was one of my lowest moments as a Manics fan, and it's the only album I never feel the need to reach for and put on.
My other main Manics gripe is releasing TLORN instead of 1985. I do love TLORN to bits, but it's not a lead single and it killed any chance of the album being taken seriously and heard by a wider audience. Lifeblood deserves to be universally regarded as one of the band's best albums, up there with THB, EMG, TIMT and JFPL. It's depressing to see the band not recognise this.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 13-10-2011, 16:28
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quatercircle View Post
Why are people so concerned with singles that were or weren't. We still have the songs, it wouldn't change the album. So why the big fuss whether or not a song was essentially sold seperately?

lots of different reasons. i will admit partially from my side it's sheer nostalgia for just how important the singles chart used to be. also, the Manics were generous with b-sides (mostly and except for the box set), so it meant extra tracks - the common thinking here is that the God Save The Manics ep were 3 of the b-sides slated for a 3rd Lifeblood single, whether that would have been 1985 or not we don't know.

singles doing well boosts exposure, increases sales of the album and thus the band do better in terms of finance and recognition for their efforts; something i think no one here would object to.

the single was an art form. in real terms, it was only the Manics and (as much as some may dislike them) Oasis that were keeping it going. if the Manics really do stop releasing singles, you may as well rename the chart the "Top 40 downloaded ringtones".
blog
Old 13-10-2011, 16:30
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quatercircle View Post
Why are people so concerned with singles that were or weren't. We still have the songs, it wouldn't change the album. So why the big fuss whether or not a song was essentially sold seperately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
My other main Manics gripe is releasing TLORN instead of 1985. I do love TLORN to bits, but it killed any chance of the album being taken seriously and heard by a wider audience. .
x

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 13-10-2011, 17:20
Administrator

I also really don't see how releasing a single off JFPL would be cashing in any more than releasing the album (which I don't think was cashing in). Maybe they just didn't want to release singles because there were no richey songs as bsides....
Old 13-10-2011, 17:23
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
I also really don't see how releasing a single off JFPL would be cashing in any more than releasing the album (which I don't think was cashing in). Maybe they just didn't want to release singles because there were no richey songs as bsides....
answer = double A side?
blog
Old 13-10-2011, 17:32
Administrator

Yeah, that would be cool, plus bag lady and the japanese bonus tracks I guess.
Old 13-10-2011, 18:04
Freed from the century

Following Richeys disappearance with EMG and only infrequently being musically exciting since.
Old 13-10-2011, 18:12
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
The whole of Postcards as a whole let alone the singles choices. The whole era was crap from the 'mass communication' bollocks down to gigs where only about 10 people could get into, and 80 quid shoeboxes with nothing much in and a 30 minute DVD
For me it's the Postcards shoebox too. I didn't think they'd top that until they charged £165 for a box containing 100% previously released material !!!!

Releasing the 10th Anniversary Holy Bible only a month after Lifeblood (pretty much destroying any publicity that Lifeblood might have got) deserves mention too.
Old 13-10-2011, 18:19
A self-made vacuum

Charging £165 for a box set and £300 for a book