Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 15-11-2011, 20:08
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardsfromayoungman View Post
It's not a bad thing, do as you wish. But with Suicide Alley, UK Channel Boredom and Feminine is Beautiful etc, I try not to get things like them signed. Sure, I'd get a studio album signed but with that status of rarity I wouldn't want a scratch on it, let alone a scribble.
As long as they're not dedicated to anyone value goes up if you have them signed. Especially with Richey's signature
Old 15-11-2011, 20:12
A self-made vacuum

Steg, the argument does go on forever I guess, like most things, we all have our preferences! Not saying mine is right or wrong!

Yeah, the shirt is way cool. Malcolm McLaren's Seditionaries? My dad's got some old McLaren/Sex Pistols shirts in the loft somewhere, worth a fortune nowadays, too bad he cut the sleeves off and it's ripped beyond repair. I loved Rotten's furry jumpers, they were ace. The Clash looked cooler though
Old 15-11-2011, 20:14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
As long as they're not dedicated to anyone value goes up if you have them signed. Especially with Richey's signature
depends if they look real or fake. From a personal pov, having something signed means very little to me unless they did it for me...like i don't see the point in the signed stuff you get free from the official site.
Old 15-11-2011, 20:16
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Not bothered about value, bothered about appearance. It's cool of course, Richey's signature is very worthy, but for records like Suicide Alley, I'd prefer it not to be signed, or if it was to be signed, I'd want it signed in person. Signed items that others have required mean bug all to me. Singles and studio albums are fine signed for me, though I haven't had the privilege to have anything signed by the Manics yet.
Old 15-11-2011, 20:17
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
depends if they look real or fake. From a personal pov, having something signed means very little to me unless they did it for me...like i don't see the point in the signed stuff you get free from the official site.
Exactly.
Old 15-11-2011, 20:21
Builder of routine

Quote:
i love my signed stuff that i paid for, just cos that's the only way i'm going to get anything signed!
Old 15-11-2011, 20:37
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
From a personal pov, having something signed means very little to me unless they did it for me
same really, i mean signed stuff is always amazing but it means more when the band have stood there with you and signed it
Old 15-11-2011, 20:40
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganslastwords View Post
same really, i mean signed stuff is always amazing but it means more when the band have stood there with you and signed it
but that was my point. I understood that Postcardsforayoungman didn't want anything ultra rare signed by the band even if he was present when they signed it. I just posted that value tends to go up with signed stuff, generally anyway
Old 15-11-2011, 20:46
Bored out of my mind

Couldn't even get to hand my TGW cover to James personally when he signed it. Oh well, at least Dext was able to get it to him! I think the signed stuff that's sent out is nice for those who might not get the chance to meet them personally.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 16-11-2011, 09:28
An imitation of dignity

OK we all have a point - and I want to assure everybody ;-)) : I am not Postcardsfromayoungman's father in disguise!, it is just that I am probably his age.

Imagine that The Clash were my first band that I followed seriously and I still cannot find where I put the Mick Jones plectrum I literally grabbed onstage at London Lyceum on December (29th?) 1978!

I only managed to get my ticket signed from James when they played in Milan in 1994 and I remember we almost spent the entire Suede concert (MSP where opening for them) talking me, him and a couple of other fans.
Otherwise it would have not been very easy to have signed records or else.

As I wrote elsewhere in this forum, I will be very interested if the band will publish a book of Richey's writings (they mentioned something like that when JFPL).

Cheers

http://steg-speakerscorner.blogspot.com/

Stegmastino
Old 16-11-2011, 13:58
An imitation of dignity

WOOPS

I meant "when JFPL was released".
Sorry.

Best

Stegmastino
Old 17-11-2011, 03:55
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegmastino View Post
OK we all have a point - and I want to assure everybody ;-)) : I am not Postcardsfromayoungman's father in disguise!, it is just that I am probably his age.
I can confirm he is not me in disguise, unless I am him?

I have all sorts of odds and ends from the late 70s punk era and the Clash and Bowie were the first musicians I seriously followed, was lucky enough to have an ethiopian dinner with Joe Strummer in Tokyo the year before he passed.

For me I get why someone would purchase something signed, I have bought books signed by authors, William Burroughs for example, but I do treasure items where I have personally got the signature more, the memory far outweighing any monetary value the signature may bring.

Last edited by dead_fingers_talk; 17-11-2011 at 04:02.
Old 17-11-2011, 12:06
An imitation of dignity

Dead Fingers Talk (or do you prefer the e.e. cummings style?) has another goodpoint.
But if - for instance - Cocteau is one of your favourite writers and he died when you where a few years old, wouldn't you like a signed book of him?
From here, we move to first editions and else: some people have a point in saying that a first edition does not mean a lot, it is the content that matters.

Another point is that "rarity" does not equal "pricey" anyway, plus sometimes you give a high price to something you and just you like a lot.
What I posted today for instance is probably not worth more than some dozen of pounds, but I like it a lot.

http://steg-speakerscorner.blogspot.com/

Cheers

Stegmastino
Old 18-11-2011, 17:21
A self-made vacuum

Won two signed posters through the facebook page. There was a different poster each day (5 in total i think). Was e-mail a few weeks saying I won one of them, got two in the post today!
Old 18-11-2011, 21:25
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post

Won two signed posters through the facebook page. There was a different poster each day (5 in total i think). Was e-mail a few weeks saying I won one of them, got two in the post today!
Cool! Wish I'd had one of those rather than the green, black and white Faster one I got! Have sold it on to another FD'er now.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)