Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 10-01-2015, 11:00
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Don't think it's fair to accuse them of going down the nostalgia route while they're still recording new stuff anyway, whether they play it or not.
I'm quite happy for them to be nostalgic, and would quite like to see some rarer EMG tracks be played, but I want new stuff more. It's what was so good about last year.
Old 20-01-2015, 20:22
Winterlover

Could be bollocks or conjecture, but is a Chicago gig at the Metro happening? 29th April?
Old 20-01-2015, 20:48
Doors slowly closing

http://metrochicago.com/shows/#April
Venue have them as down to play so looks like a goer. EDIT: Just seen the other thread, great news for US fans.
Old 21-01-2015, 12:58
Desire on its knees

I can't help but hear the lyrics of Let's Go To War as a prophecy for future activity - "the shutters will come down again, so don’t forget we love you still". After a hectic 2 years of albums, reissues and international tours, I think the May HB / potential international gigs will be the last we hear of them for a while.

my predictions:

no EMG 20th acknowledgement in 2016
no full band album until 2017
no TIMT reissue until at least 2018

occasional "event" appearances through 2015/6/7 - benefit one offs (Teenage Cancer Trust, etc), stuff like JDB's acoustic guitar seminar thing, the odd on-stage collaboration with people - most of which will be JDB-led.

possibly more solo work, but very low key (no touring, no festivals): this would probably incorporate any soundtrack work, can't see that being a band thing; Nicky contributing words, electronic sketches for theatre, Patrick Jones type stuff, JDB contributing more instrumental stuff for UK productions, Film4 type things. more a Commemoration and Amnesia level affair, rather than a Great Western level.

few collaborations, guest spots over the years - the odd remix, the odd JDB guitar contribution. maybe JDB will guest on a past collaborator's release (backing vocals on Richard Hawley's next album, duet with Cate Le Bon, Lucy Rose etc on their next albums).

one or two new MSP tracks may surface for tribute albums, BBC / NME compilations etc.

maybe they'll put the random oddity up on the website for a laugh - going back to the time they would post instrumental works in progress, acoustic rehearsals etc on the site.
Old 21-01-2015, 20:43
I am purity, they call me perverted

^^^^ You could be spot on with all of this as it makes perfect sense. Who are you really?

Nabokov on Don Quixote
Old 31-01-2015, 16:13
I live to fall asleep

They'll bash through the US and UK tour, along with a smattering of EU festival appearances with THB-heavy sets. I reckon they're perfect to headline Latitude, but we'll see about that.

Have they done Japan/Aus recently? Maybe there too. It would be nice for another Futurology single with a decent video, but that's probably done now.

After that, I'd predict a hiatus before no new music until late 2016.

But next thought - will they do owt for EMG20 or would that be overkill?

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 31-01-2015, 17:34
Winterlover

I know I'll be in a minority here but an acoustic album at the end of the year, versions of some of their best songs acoustically(whether they are alternate versions or rerecords) I would love to hear that. I was shocked how good the acoustic James version of Some Kind of Nothingness is compared to the single version ....
Old 31-01-2015, 17:35
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon View Post
I can't help but hear the lyrics of Let's Go To War as a prophecy for future activity - "the shutters will come down again, so don’t forget we love you still". After a hectic 2 years of albums, reissues and international tours, I think the May HB / potential international gigs will be the last we hear of them for a while.

my predictions:

no EMG 20th acknowledgement in 2016
no full band album until 2017
no TIMT reissue until at least 2018

occasional "event" appearances through 2015/6/7 - benefit one offs (Teenage Cancer Trust, etc), stuff like JDB's acoustic guitar seminar thing, the odd on-stage collaboration with people - most of which will be JDB-led.

possibly more solo work, but very low key (no touring, no festivals): this would probably incorporate any soundtrack work, can't see that being a band thing; Nicky contributing words, electronic sketches for theatre, Patrick Jones type stuff, JDB contributing more instrumental stuff for UK productions, Film4 type things. more a Commemoration and Amnesia level affair, rather than a Great Western level.

few collaborations, guest spots over the years - the odd remix, the odd JDB guitar contribution. maybe JDB will guest on a past collaborator's release (backing vocals on Richard Hawley's next album, duet with Cate Le Bon, Lucy Rose etc on their next albums).

one or two new MSP tracks may surface for tribute albums, BBC / NME compilations etc.

maybe they'll put the random oddity up on the website for a laugh - going back to the time they would post instrumental works in progress, acoustic rehearsals etc on the site.
Sounds about right actually.
Old 31-01-2015, 18:06
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
They'll bash through the US and UK tour, along with a smattering of EU festival appearances with THB-heavy sets. I reckon they're perfect to headline Latitude, but we'll see about that.

Have they done Japan/Aus recently? Maybe there too. It would be nice for another Futurology single with a decent video, but that's probably done now.

After that, I'd predict a hiatus before no new music until late 2016.

But next thought - will they do owt for EMG20 or would that be overkill?
I think Japan and Euro tours are on the cards, less sure about the second though.
Old 03-02-2015, 17:18
Winterlover

EMG 20 sounds like a hoot. I can't come out of retirement from Manics gigs twice though can I?! It would be worth it for Further Away on its own.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:55

Reading between the lines, http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-o...-nicky-9395127 I get the impression that Nicky's lyric notebook is looking rather blank. We might not be getting anything new from the band until perhaps 2017. That's if they stick to their word about having sometime off. This is why next year is the perfect time to release a b-side compilation. That would be a little something to keep the fans happy and not to disappear to far without trace.

Nabokov on Don Quixote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:16
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Or maybe we'll get an "The Essential Manic Street Preachers" compilation as they're usually from Columbia records aren't they?
At least they add album tracks onto those.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:55
Desire on its knees

A film soundtrack and a short run of EMG gigs (both of which have already been mooted) as well as a rarities/B-sides album, would fill in the time pretty well before a new album in 2017.
Old 08-06-2015, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian On Fire View Post
Reading between the lines, http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-o...-nicky-9395127 I get the impression that Nicky's lyric notebook is looking rather blank.
Maybe James could help out - Next Jet To Leave Moscow was one of the best tracks on Futurology.
Old 08-06-2015, 15:22

fully blown JDB metal album please ;-)
o2 Academy, Newcastle 15th May 2007
Manchester Central, Manchester 5th December 2007
o2 Academy, Newcastle 27th September 2010
Carlisle Sands, Carlisle 2nd November 2010
o2 Arena, London 17th December 2011
First Direct Arena, Leeds 28th March 2014
The Corn Exchange, Edinburgh 3rd April 2014
The Barrowlands, Glasgow 8th December 2014
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff 5th June 2015