Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-07-2014, 11:19
I am purity, they call me perverted

Postcards is so unsexy, it somehow manages to make the concept of it being a day today unsexy. The bare "dayness" of it... the mind-numbing daytimenessness - not only in the strings production or the god-awful guitars, but in it's very essence.

SKON was a good idea and I can sometimes salvage that idea, when I am experiencing the wreck of it's reality - the unnecessary dueting, the gospel choir.

Those arpeggios in INWJTEOL do have a trace of exhuberance about them.

I somehow appear to be able to actually enjoy most of Golden Platitudes, until the guitar crunching begins. I can even handle the first crunching... episode?.... because I know it will end, and then I will get some more actual song. (Crunching is not song. How it doesn't ruin Ocean Spray is a miracle). But the second crunching is beyond hope and only leads to more crunching.

The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever should be a much better song, but isn't, because it should be sexy - what with the the bouncy horns and the low sung nicky vocal - but can't, because it's on "pfaym!" - an abbreviation so adept at encapsulating the essence and sound of pfaym... pfayem... pfayyyyeyeynmmm....

Hazelton Avenue, I think I Found It and All We Make Is Entertainment are the moments where the Manics could do with teenage sons or daugthers the most. So they could thell their dads they have Hughesovkas and Next Jets To Moscow in them still and should be doing those instead of pfaymming around.

We're pfaymming....
hope you like pfaymming too,
we're pfaymmingwe'repfaymmingwe'repfaymming...

Now, let us take an even closer look at The P.F.A.Y.M. At le pfayemme...
1) Without the "y", the simple "PFAM!" sounds like a softer, failed version of PAM! Like the gunshot PAM! but with blanks. Like electric guitars, but with the way they sound on All We Make Is Entertainment.
2) Yet the "y" adds so much! PFAYEM... It's that grotesque, almost Cartmanlike effect... like they know how shitty it is, but are doing it anyway. Which, if I remember correctly, was the original concept behind PFAYM. We could be making great music right now. We could be making stuff like Red Rubber. We could easily be working on RTF and Futurology already, but we are so obsessed with failure, we won't! Instead, we'll pfaym for a year, and then we'll pfaym some more with National Treasures! Then we'll take a two-year pfaym.

The most insulting part of the whole PFAYM affair is that they already did it four ears ealier. They called it SATT then, and it was bad, but not as bad, because it wasn't happening again.

Last edited by Marat Sar; 18-07-2014 at 11:56.
Old 18-07-2014, 11:34
Winterlover

Old 18-07-2014, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post
Did I hit the spliff too hard there? Oh god, tell me I didn't hit the spliff too hard!

Last edited by Marat Sar; 18-07-2014 at 18:33.
Old 18-07-2014, 12:36
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
Hazelton Avenue, I think I Found It and All We Make Is Entertainment
By some stretch these are three of the worst songs that the Manics have ever put on an album.

I Think I Found It is particularly grim. That lyric, “I walked to the sea/threw a pebble in for you and me” is appalling.
Old 18-07-2014, 12:42
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post
By some stretch these are three of the worst songs that the Manics have ever put on an album.

I Think I Found It is particularly grim. That lyric, “I walked to the sea/threw a pebble in for you and me” is appalling.
Oh God, it's even worse written down.

I really hope that one big positive come out of PFAYM, that they realise they will never enjoy "mass-communication" on the level that the did from 1996-2000 ever again. So hopefully they will never try again.
Old 18-07-2014, 14:16
Doors slowly closing

One lass crack at mass-turbation?
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 18-07-2014, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post

I can't recall that song in any way, shape or form. I'm sure I've listened to it a few times, but I have no idea what happens in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
Oh God, it's even worse written down.

I really hope that one big positive come out of PFAYM, that they realise they will never enjoy "mass-communication" on the level that the did from 1996-2000 ever again. So hopefully they will never try again.
They'll only ever do mass communication good if they stop putting emphasis on mass communication.
Old 18-07-2014, 15:45
Administrator

Well I love I think I found it so
Old 18-07-2014, 15:48
I live to fall asleep

I listened to it again - turns out it's even better a few years later. Second half stronger than the first.
Old 19-07-2014, 21:32

It's an album I still go back to. I do think they overdid the strings, gospel choirs etc. and it may have been better with a less 'polished' feel (and probably without The Descent), but I think it's far from one of their worst albums.
Old 19-07-2014, 22:41

I think Broken Up Again is better than anything that made it on to the album. That said, I like postcards well enough, it has some good tunes.
Old 19-07-2014, 22:47
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-groovey-morning-fine View Post
I think Broken Up Again is better than anything that made it on to the album.
This, this, and this.
Old 19-07-2014, 23:16
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-groovey-morning-fine View Post
I think Broken Up Again is better than anything that made it on to the album.
Yep yep yep. This.
Old 20-07-2014, 06:48
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
I Think I Found it is great and the way James delivers the lyrics is wonderful.
Old 20-07-2014, 10:26
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
Postcards is so unsexy, it somehow manages to make the concept of it being a day today unsexy. The bare "dayness" of it... the mind-numbing daytimenessness - not only in the strings production or the god-awful guitars, but in it's very essence.

SKON was a good idea and I can sometimes salvage that idea, when I am experiencing the wreck of it's reality - the unnecessary dueting, the gospel choir.

Those arpeggios in INWJTEOL do have a trace of exhuberance about them.

I somehow appear to be able to actually enjoy most of Golden Platitudes, until the guitar crunching begins. I can even handle the first crunching... episode?.... because I know it will end, and then I will get some more actual song. (Crunching is not song. How it doesn't ruin Ocean Spray is a miracle). But the second crunching is beyond hope and only leads to more crunching.

The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever should be a much better song, but isn't, because it should be sexy - what with the the bouncy horns and the low sung nicky vocal - but can't, because it's on "pfaym!" - an abbreviation so adept at encapsulating the essence and sound of pfaym... pfayem... pfayyyyeyeynmmm....

Hazelton Avenue, I think I Found It and All We Make Is Entertainment are the moments where the Manics could do with teenage sons or daugthers the most. So they could thell their dads they have Hughesovkas and Next Jets To Moscow in them still and should be doing those instead of pfaymming around.

We're pfaymming....
hope you like pfaymming too,
we're pfaymmingwe'repfaymmingwe'repfaymming...

Now, let us take an even closer look at The P.F.A.Y.M. At le pfayemme...
1) Without the "y", the simple "PFAM!" sounds like a softer, failed version of PAM! Like the gunshot PAM! but with blanks. Like electric guitars, but with the way they sound on All We Make Is Entertainment.
2) Yet the "y" adds so much! PFAYEM... It's that grotesque, almost Cartmanlike effect... like they know how shitty it is, but are doing it anyway. Which, if I remember correctly, was the original concept behind PFAYM. We could be making great music right now. We could be making stuff like Red Rubber. We could easily be working on RTF and Futurology already, but we are so obsessed with failure, we won't! Instead, we'll pfaym for a year, and then we'll pfaym some more with National Treasures! Then we'll take a two-year pfaym.

The most insulting part of the whole PFAYM affair is that they already did it four ears ealier. They called it SATT then, and it was bad, but not as bad, because it wasn't happening again.
This is brilliant!

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song