Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 20-07-2014, 11:28
I am purity, they call me perverted

The forum minnow speaketh...

For all the hate vented about Postcards (and It's Not War in particular), I bet so many people on here were gobbling it up at the time. In fact, I'd really like to read people's initial reactions to both INWJTEOL and the album.

For me, personally, it ain't that bad - why the venom? Yeah, it's over-produced, possibly too string-laden, etc, etc, but it's definitely not their worst album. And INWJTEOL is definitely not their worst single!

(Awaits DK's and other Postcard haters' response with relish)
Old 20-07-2014, 11:34
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
The forum minnow speaketh...

For all the hate vented about Postcards (and It's Not War in particular), I bet so many people on here were gobbling it up at the time. In fact, I'd really like to read people's initial reactions to both INWJTEOL and the album.

For me, personally, it ain't that bad - why the venom? Yeah, it's over-produced, possibly too string-laden, etc, etc, but it's definitely not their worst album. And INWJTEOL is definitely not their worst single!

(Awaits DK's and other Postcard haters' response with relish)
they weren't really…loads of people pretty much left the forum.. I liked it but i wasn't loving it and found myself switching to another album on my ipod whereas with RTF and Futurology (and others) i've had on repeat.

no one's causing a row btw.. it's all just opinion
Old 20-07-2014, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post

no one's causing a row btw.. it's all just opinion
Erm, I don't think I suggested that in my post. Let's hope we're not entering into one now, eh?
Old 20-07-2014, 11:41
Builder of routine

Quote:
Erm, I don't think I suggested that in my post. Let's hope we're not entering into one now, eh?
*why all the venom*
*bring on the haters*

just making sure
Old 20-07-2014, 11:48

Quote:
*why all the venom*
*bring on the haters*

just making sure
Ok, so I really don't want an argument stemming from this but the "why all the venom" statement was merely a question and observation. I didn't actually say "bring on the haters", if you look again.

It seems there's enough venom and hatred for Postcards already. The number of posts alluding to this is pretty high, so I really don't think I was stirring anything at all.

(returns to fringes of forum)
Old 20-07-2014, 11:53
Builder of routine

Quote:
Ok, so I really don't want an argument stemming from this but the "why all the venom" statement was merely a question and observation. I didn't actually say "bring on the haters", if you look again.

It seems there's enough venom and hatred for Postcards already. The number of posts alluding to this is pretty high, so I really don't think I was stirring anything at all.

(returns to fringes of forum)
i wasn't saying you were.. i was just saying those comments weren't trying to start a row.. opinions can read very harshly sometimes and if you see a lot at once it sounds like people are being very negative when all they're doing is expressing an opinion. I'm not saying you're not allowed to post! You can say whatever you like
Old 20-07-2014, 11:57

Quote:
i wasn't saying you were.. i was just saying those comments weren't trying to start a row.. opinions can read very harshly sometimes and if you see a lot at once it sounds like people are being very negative when all they're doing is expressing an opinion. I'm not saying you're not allowed to post! You can say whatever you like
Old 20-07-2014, 12:02
Knowlede Is Power

That bloody hummingbird being a Forum Nazi eh?
Old 20-07-2014, 12:03
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwood View Post
That bloody hummingbird being a Forum Nazi eh?
failing miserably at diplomacy
Old 20-07-2014, 12:12
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
If you'd been here you'd have seen that many of us hated it from the first play so no, not everyone was "gobbling it up". It's by far their worst album in my opinion and the opinion of many others. Fine you disagree; I believe that's known as "personal taste" but I'm probably just blinded by venom.

Bring on the haters... when you cast groundless aspersions about the fickleness of fans based on their taste for a certain record, people will respond, yes. Having been around fairly solidly since 2004 I'd say the change of opinions for SATT for example is far more noticeable than that for PFAYM, which always had its fans but found the bottom of (many) others' personal album charts from day one.

Perhaps one reason it enjoys a less venomous response these days is that many long-term fans wandered away at that time as a consequence of that terrible record and the "one last shot at mass communication" cringefest. Those who could stomach it stayed, many who couldn't left, and a few of us held out for RTF and Futurology.

Last edited by tzb; 20-07-2014 at 12:47.
Old 20-07-2014, 12:35
Winterlover

I thought it was a weak record at the time I first heard it, but was kind of enjoying it almost ironically as it was clear how hard they were trying to be 'relevant' as Nicky put it.

Around the time of National Treasures I began to dislike it in earnest, as a reaction to seeing the singles surrounded by their older hits. That was when I first realised the band just wasn't the same to me anymore, and even SATT seemed a much better album to me. RTF and Futurology have only just managed to restore my faith in them again.

Hazelton Avenue and I Think I Found It are almost unspeakably bad. There are a few tracks I don't mind but they're coloured too much by the surrounding songs on the album and this just taints the whole thing for me. I found the b-sides were definitely far superior to the album tracks. A lot more diversity and ideas in them and no gospel choir and string overdoses.
Old 20-07-2014, 16:35

I still like the songs of PFAYM and all of RTF. I think they're similar albums lyrically, after the album JFPL. I like the concept and musically how they explored what they wanted to do. I think there are hints of other bands in some songs. I saw Echo and the Bunnymen when they supported James the band last year. They were great though a lot of smoke obscurred the stage throughout their set, it was mystical and amazing to see them play their early songs and were one of Richey's favourite bands.
Old 20-07-2014, 17:47

I think its a fine album, those against it are always vocal, there are much worse albums like SATT or JFPL. Love Hazelton Avenue and The Descent.
Old 20-07-2014, 18:02
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl45 View Post
there are much worse albums like [...] JFPL.
Old 20-07-2014, 19:03
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl45 View Post
I think its a fine album, those against it are always vocal, there are much worse albums like...or JFPL.
Is there a doctor in the house?!?!?