Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-04-2018, 08:43
Doors slowly closing

Maybe JDB will be inspired by watching a 56 year old Axl Rose run all over a stage for more than three hours (although he does end up sounding like Mickey Mouse halfway through the set).
Old 30-04-2018, 20:11
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Still, like I said a couple of pages ago, it's not like they're doing Mausoleum and PCP, there's plenty of room for James to have a breather. And you do see it reflected in the sets too, just looking at last night for a sequence, You Stole The Sun, There By The Grace Of God, Masses and Horses Under Starlight.. shouty and high, low and fairly pedestrian, shouty and high again, then ba da ba ba.
Yup. That's age (comes to us all) and the fags and booze for you. Nothing you can do about it as such, bu there are ways of tweaking things to make it easier.

But yes. Singers without any issues structure their sets to have a breather, but the selection this time is clearly helping Jimmy to manage his vocals.

Quote:
I did wonder about the spacings on the early bit of the tour whether they were anticipating demand for extra dates or whether that's all scheduling would allow for the places they want to go, or whether they were wanting the breaks. Two nights off between Manchester and Llandudno, hard not to get curious about the room that'll allow to brush up on rehearsals..
Nope, not extra dates - but it's the classic night on then night off structure that most bands of a certain vintage do. Don't be surprised if future tours have 5-6 dates tops. Nothing wrong with that all either. Work smarter not harder etc etc.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:11
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
Yup. That's age (comes to us all) and the fags and booze for you. Nothing you can do about it as such, bu there are ways of tweaking things to make it easier.

But yes. Singers without any issues structure their sets to have a breather, but the selection this time is clearly helping Jimmy to manage his vocals.

Nope, not extra dates - but it's the classic night on then night off structure that most bands of a certain vintage do. Don't be surprised if future tours have 5-6 dates tops. Nothing wrong with that all either. Work smarter not harder etc etc.
Typically it’s been two on, one off, two on, one off. Bit more staggered this time, one on, one off, one on, one off, two on, two off.. course sacrificing one of the two off or one of the days off either side of Glasgow would mean three on, and sod that. Wonder if they’d have preferred to do two on, one off as they generally have, tour would’ve taken 11 days rather than the 16 this is. Maybe just a matter of availability.

At this stage I’d welcome shorter tours, don’t think I’ll see em a dozen times on a tour again, can’t afford to skint myself like I used to for em anymore.
Old 01-05-2018, 16:40
Winterlover

Quote:
Maybe just a matter of availability
Partly this. They'll book ahead and so there's a fair chance that these were the available dates. Some other bands also structure things in a way that they can go home after a couple of shows, which may (or may not) explain the early finishes.
Old 01-05-2018, 19:51
Winterlover

Quote:
Sorry Takk but bollocks. I don't always need to find summat to moan about, over the years on here I've been far more defensive than critical of em, maybe you're getting me mixed up with other posters. Eh suppose it doesn't matter how often I repeat myself or you repeat yourself, we're not gonna agree. I never expected or even hoped for longer sets till it was announced they were going on half hour earlier than usual. Don't get to that many arena gigs really but there's not that much between say Cardiff CIA and Brixton Academy anyway. Maybe the band weren't that arsed about people getting home after the Everything Must Go arena gigs?

Alright, if we're stood in a courtroom you can say curfew is meaningless besides it being the latest an act can perform till, but honestly the vast majority of gigs I've ever been to have ran till generally 15-20 minutes before curfew, whatever time that is. If you think that's meaningless and not indicative of anything people could reasonably expect from a curfew, that's on you.

The thing is, despite Takk insisting that I always need summat to moan about with em, I don't feel like I have particularly high expectations!
Made me laugh, sorry. Why apologise for moaning (c'mon) you're a Manics fan, it's what we do. I haven't the energy to calculate the stage times....but I do see your point, the ticket prices are huge.....back in the 90s....they were a fraction of what they cost now, smaller venues of course but that meant greater chance of them being local (er) so easier transport wise (I've no objections with a half 10 time for cocoa finish cos of reliance on public transportation - easier to book somewhere to stay over true but that is extra costs too) and you got to see the whites of their eyes....cept Nicky's always in shades (for that reason? absolutely they do give you y'personal space back) anyways where is my point? Yes, you were moaning a little but that is good & yep the smaller venues lasted a similar length of time/played a similar number of songs.....now the prices are easily 5 times as much and you can feel cheated I do get that. It's not a cheap night out and I still feel in a ways it should be. I don't like to feel it's all becoming a little too exclusive. Didn't like the crushing in the small venue though but, never happy, still,....can't speak for this tour I haven't been ha so no right to my moan

Quote:
I did wonder about the spacings on the early bit of the tour whether they were anticipating demand for extra dates or whether that's all scheduling would allow for the places they want to go, or whether they were wanting the breaks. Two nights off between Manchester and Llandudno, hard not to get curious about the room that'll allow to brush up on rehearsals..
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
Partly this. They'll book ahead and so there's a fair chance that these were the available dates. Some other bands also structure things in a way that they can go home after a couple of shows, which may (or may not) explain the early finishes.
They want to ramble up the Great Orme and dandy down the pier is what it is.
And fit in their share of the school runs
Rock n roll
Exhausting
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 03-05-2018, 07:24
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Made me laugh, sorry. Why apologise for moaning (c'mon) you're a Manics fan, it's what we do. I haven't the energy to calculate the stage times....but I do see your point, the ticket prices are huge.....back in the 90s....they were a fraction of what they cost now, smaller venues of course but that meant greater chance of them being local (er) so easier transport wise (I've no objections with a half 10 time for cocoa finish cos of reliance on public transportation - easier to book somewhere to stay over true but that is extra costs too) and you got to see the whites of their eyes....cept Nicky's always in shades (for that reason? absolutely they do give you y'personal space back) anyways where is my point? Yes, you were moaning a little but that is good & yep the smaller venues lasted a similar length of time/played a similar number of songs.....now the prices are easily 5 times as much and you can feel cheated I do get that. It's not a cheap night out and I still feel in a ways it should be. I don't like to feel it's all becoming a little too exclusive. Didn't like the crushing in the small venue though but, never happy, still,....can't speak for this tour I haven't been ha so no right to my moan
Oh I won’t be apologising for moaning, what self-contemptuous Yorkshireman would? It’s not the length of the set I have an issue with, it’s the tease of an earlier start.

Course the prices are a factor too, not sure last night was even half full (or empty depending on your outlook). Took a photo 10 mins before they were on that I can’t figure out how to stick on here... just imagine a half empty rooom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
They want to ramble up the Great Orme and dandy down the pier is what it is.
And fit in their share of the school runs
Rock n roll
Exhausting
Actually did. Well, Sean did.. school runs maybe a stretch.