Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-08-2020, 19:26
I live to fall asleep

OH MY WORD.

This is good. Very good.
Old 14-08-2020, 20:04
Builder of routine

Is the "Nicky Wire A&R" in the notes a joke "see if they spot it" thing?

love love love the album. Didn't have a clue who Victor Jara was so I'll need to watch the Netflix documentary. Wouldn't mind getting hold of Joan Jara's book at some point if available.

Anyway, songs - can't decide which song I like the best. Recuerda maybe? Under the mimosa tree is probably my favourite of the instrumentals. I'm pretty crap at articulating why I like things so can I just say ALL OF IT IS GREAT

currently playing the cassette through a player with a busted speaker ..still sounds good. I'm glad it's a black tape with the artwork on rather than those transparent ones. Looks a bit smarter.

They picked a very pretty shade of blue for the coloured vinyl.

Haven't seen any indifferent or negative reviews yet not that it matters but it's good to see people like it.
Old 14-08-2020, 20:06
I live to fall asleep

Where is this likely to chart? Top 10 would be nice for him, how many sales does that take nowadays?
Old 14-08-2020, 20:24
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Found That Soul* View Post
Where is this likely to chart? Top 10 would be nice for him, how many sales does that take nowadays?
I think the GATS reissue made 16 earlier in the year despite only having one edition that cost £50, next to no promotion and reviews pointing out the remastering was horrible.

That sold under 3000 copies, apparently. If this does worse, we deserve JDB to go off and write another Autumnsong.
Old 14-08-2020, 20:28
Winterlover

I should buy more CDs because the quality really is superior to streaming, it brings boy from the plantation more alive (lurvely harmonica) and there'll come a war sounds immense with looming threat. I wouldn't say i love it like some do already but it's themes are clear and tells a story and i admire him resisting the urge to make any tracks single material, apart from plantation maybe (actually, i'm a gonna add without knowing the end to that).

My stand out tracks after 2 listens would be...
Recurda
There'll come a war
Thirty thousand milk bottles
Under the mimosa tree
Without knowing the end (joan's song)
Santiago sunrise

The last song almost made it because that chorus, if you can call it that, is gorgeous and sounds like pink floyd to me.
I liked the morricone sounding stuff in places, particularly on la partida.
What a beautiful closing track as well - a promise of a better future.

The album may be about jara on the surface but, and this was discussed in his interviews, it's really about the women in his life.
It's a great tribute to his mother, his wife and violeta parra who inspired him and i don't know if other jara tribute music approached it like that but good on james for doing so.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.

Last edited by Tim; 14-08-2020 at 20:55.
Old 14-08-2020, 20:48
Bored out of my mind

Just had my first play and aw it’s such a beautiful album. Need to spend more time with it to form full opinions on each track, but immediately really like Thirty Thousand Milk Bottles, Under The Mimosa Tree and Santiago Sunrise, as well as the tracks I’d already heard. I love the artwork as well.

I’ve not been about on here for a bit, but I’ve really enjoyed listening to James’ interviews/podcasts etc. promoting this. Such an interesting subject matter and his knowledge and passion have really shone through.
Old 14-08-2020, 21:22
I live to fall asleep

More concept-y type albums please Manics. No big singles or trying to reclaim old glories. One of these type of albums every year or two and we will keep buying them.
Old 14-08-2020, 21:43
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Could be my personal preferences but Google had an article index of not just the tracklisting, but links to reviews and sites like metacritic etc. Only DIY magazine thing gave it three stars.
I certainly don't remember such concentrated Google article things for the GATS or RIF.
EIE could be here by Sunday btw.
I think it'll chart high. Ronan Keating is at number 18 on his third week of his number two album.
It could be algorithm, I am expecting "Midweek excitement" but I'm thinking it could be Taylor sodding Swift again.
If the media attention intensifies this week (An appearance on The One Show would get things going? News At Ten and finally at a push?) then I really can see it going all the way.
But then again, when I looked at the CD in the shop, I wasn't looking at what number it had been arranged. It wasn't nearest the entrance but not closer to the till.
Glad everyone is really smitten with the album! Be joining soon!
Old 14-08-2020, 21:55
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
I think the GATS reissue made 16 earlier in the year despite only having one edition that cost £50, next to no promotion and reviews pointing out the remastering was horrible.

That sold under 3000 copies, apparently. If this does worse, we deserve JDB to go off and write another Autumnsong.
Any idea where that GATS sale number comes from?
Old 14-08-2020, 22:10
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftan mews View Post
Any idea where that GATS sale number comes from?
http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/for...&postcount=417

Also, I got the chart position wrong by one. 17 not 16.

Quote:
More info - "The album is No.17 with 2,974 sales, its first chart appearance since that original 1993 run and its highest chart placing since its second week on sale.”
Old 15-08-2020, 07:43

Has there been any interviews with Patrick Jones about his lyrics and the album?

Nabokov on Don Quixote
Old 15-08-2020, 08:05
I live to fall asleep

Is anyone else a bit surprised at the lack of airplay/coverage for this album? I appreciate the musical landscape both generally and in Manics world is nothing like it was in 2006 but I did expect to at least hear TBFTP played a few times on 6 Music this week or be made album of the week? Disappointing.
Old 15-08-2020, 09:26

I pre-ordered the album from HMV and it has arrived this morning with an unmarked 7” single. Did anybody else receive this?
Old 15-08-2020, 09:27
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
I pre-ordered the album from HMV and it has arrived this morning with an unmarked 7” single. Did anybody else receive this?
That was the offer. ‘From the Acatama Dust’ is the song, a nice JDB instrumental
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 15-08-2020, 09:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
That was the offer. ‘From the Acatama Dust’ is the song, a nice JDB instrumental
Ah, I see! Thank you.