Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 02-06-2016, 22:56
Builder of routine

Good to know they still keep an eye on us
Old 02-06-2016, 23:11
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
I don't remember anyone ever querying whether they signed them or not!
That confused me too! Of all the things he could have said FD has moaned about over the years (and l think they do still base their opinion of this place on about 5+ years ago before social media took off), he picks something I have no memory of anyone ever disputing
Old 03-06-2016, 00:50
Bored of being bored

I'd like to see them make their peace with Lifeblood
Old 03-06-2016, 04:26
Bored of being bored

Lifeblood is an excellent LP but its poor Live

I am annoyed that the last 2 LP's were never toured properly, especially the last one which I think is the best in a long time. RTF got those showcase gigs in March/April 2014 but only 3 songs were played from it & 2/3 from Futurology.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:50
Bored of being bored

Good point. Both ended up in the discount racks quick. Perhaps they could do a concept album.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:29
Stretched out in the sun

I'll be very surprised if another era is not forthcoming.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:16
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
After listening to The Great Western and really recapturing my love for it, I want another James solo effort.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:46
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
Only Manics fans could see the band release two new albums inside a year and then accuse them of being nostalgia peddlers.

I do think a lot of fans miss the point of what they've been doing since 2007, when they've actually been very very clever. They release a straight-forward rock'n'strings album which takes them back into the top ten, and that buys them the opportunity to make their art project album with no singles. They then release another album of big commercial songs and a greatest hits to remind people of just how great they are and generate more good publicity. This buys them the opportunity to do two more albums they might otherwise not been able to make - the acoustic album and the krautrock album, as well as to celebrate their least commercial album ever. 'Futurology' and the tour/re-release of 'THB' remind people of what a great band they are artistically, thus making them more credible than they've been in years. Then they tour/re-release EMG which gets them back into an arena tour for the first time since 2007 (I think) whilst also reminding people who might have lost sight of them after EMG how many great songs they have. On top of that they've recorded the Welsh Euros song which has gotten them massive publicity. And don't forget - Wire initially suggested they'd try to have some new songs ready for the 'EMG' tour, so it clearly wasn't supposed to be just about nostalgia, it's just that the band have been struggling with coming up with new songs that scuppered it.
Agreed completely! Props to them for using that method, and for sticking with it when people were relentlessly whinging at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
After listening to The Great Western and really recapturing my love for it, I want another James solo effort.
It's be nice wouldn't it. I listened to both James and Nicky's solo albums and it really made me want more. I didn't know Nick wrote so many songs on Futurology until I read the new Pricey interview, makes me think a new solo album would sound amazing.
Old 04-06-2016, 00:13
Winterlover

Yeah, a new nicky album would be an enticing prospect. One of those please, wire. Ta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestivate View Post
I'd like to see them make their peace with Lifeblood
Quote:
“No, no, but I am very 'If you enjoy something, fucking do it!', kinda thing. I never think 'It's time for us to go.' Even at the bottom moments, like Lifeblood or Know Your Enemy, to a certain degree. I still like parts of Lifeblood – I'm not slagging it off completely. But I've always got this thing of 'Yeah, we lost... but, fuck, we can get back on top!' I have got a bit of a cornier way of thinking about life: 'Boys, we can do it! We can write the best song ever!'”
Probably the best you're gonna get. But at least nicky isn't completely disillusioned about the popularity of SATT...

Quote:
“Send Away The Tigers, hardcore fans don't like it,” says Wire, “but normal people do. If it wasn't for Send Away The Tigers, we wouldn't be here.”
I believe that last part to be true as well, they needed to make it.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:52
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

While I'm not too bothered by the Nostalgia with EMG and THB being my two favourite Manics albums, I'm still pissef that Futurology wasn't even toured. I don't think there was a gig where they played more than three tracks off it. It's easily their most interesting album since lifeblood and probably their most critically successful in a way that goes beyond its initial release. It's an utter crime that neither Black Square or Last Jet to Leave Moscow never received a live airing. The Manics are best when they speak from where they are, not looking back or looking forward.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
That confused me too! Of all the things he could have said FD has moaned about over the years (and l think they do still base their opinion of this place on about 5+ years ago before social media took off), he picks something I have no memory of anyone ever disputing
Agreed! Made me laugh! The first time we get an actual mention and it makes no sense.

Maybe we need to start the 'do they really sign things?' thread...
Old 04-06-2016, 09:37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
This is also hilarious...

I know it's said in jest but they have to realise that this is where their audience lives now. Online generally i mean not FD, this place has become a ghost town.
It's been enjoying a nice renaissance recently, hope it continues!
Old 04-06-2016, 10:20
Mr Msppedia

We have 2 potential song tiles so far:

Dylan & Caitlin
Holding Patterns

I'd love for them to revisit the electronic sound of the There By The Grace Of God b-sides. I just hope they continue doing what they want to do, continuing experimenting...that's what's been so enjoyable about the last 2 albums.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:55
Doors slowly closing

I expect Holding Patterns to be Nicky-led and I feel like I can imagine it clearly.
Old 04-06-2016, 20:34
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
It's been enjoying a nice renaissance recently, hope it continues!
well yeah and the twitter feed seems to be plenty popular. Most people have just gravitated to there or facebook to get their manics news i guess. Meh.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.