Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 09-04-2015, 17:19
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post
Some good titles they nearly went with. Except one at least; weren't they toying with the idea of calling Journal 'I Know I Believe In Nothing But It Is My Nothing'?
That's correct, it was the title when they announced they were doing a Richey lyric album with Steve Albini. Such fan service....

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 09-04-2015, 18:12
Freed from the century

Fairly sure 'No Strings' was mentioned as probably a joke working title for KYE
Old 09-04-2015, 18:16
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
Fairly sure 'No Strings' was mentioned as probably a joke working title for KYE
Haha! That wouldn't surprise me at all - it seems to have so many! Most titled Manics album ever.

Presumably it's a reference to the live approach they took to recording it i.e. no orchestra.

'Everything you hear is created by Manic Street Preachers' - isn't that what's in the liner notes to KYE?
Old 10-04-2015, 13:18
Desire on its knees

regarding an alternative JFPL title, wasn't Richey's lyrics folder they used titled OPULENCE? much better, more Manics-y title than the other two titles, in my eyes.
Old 10-04-2015, 16:53
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon View Post
regarding an alternative JFPL title, wasn't Richey's lyrics folder they used titled OPULENCE? much better, more Manics-y title than the other two titles, in my eyes.
Yup, a better title in my opinion. Journal for Plague Lovers never sat well with me as a title, felt like a cheap gimmick and the song itself is one of the weakest on the album and the music did not match the original unedited lyrics which felt more like an archives of pain part 2 to me as they are quite visceral in terms of imagery.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 10-04-2015, 17:09
I am purity, they call me perverted

B Sides Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
Haven't seen a thread on this, so here I go again.

As I mentioned before, I have 'shadow' playlists of each studio album, consisting of b-sides and extra tracks from that era. I name them after the working title of each album, thus:

Culture, Alienation, Boredom & Despair (GT era)
Sounds In The Grass (EMG era)
Manic Street Preachers (TIMTTMY)
Fidel (KYE), also separated into two thematic albums named Solidarity and Door To The River as Nicky's hindsight preference would have had it
Litany (Lifeblood)
It's Not War - Just The End Of Love (PFAYM)
70 Songs Of Failure And Hatred I (RTF)
70 Songs Of Failure And Hatred II (Futurology)

In the Mastertapes interview James said the working title for THB was Songs Of Death (or something similar - I didn't write it down).

Does anyone know what the working titles of GATS, TBGOG, SATT and JFPL were?
I have the exact same; all of the non album original B Sides as their own albums to each respective parent album. The amazing thing is, the quality is astounding - they could be albums in their own right (the longer ones anyway, 14 or 15 PFAYM for instance).

The Postcards B-Sides album on my ipod is one of my most played, as is is the 12-track RTF/Futurology collection of B Sides.

I must utilise some of these working titles, I never knew 'Sounds in the Grass' was the EMG, Mine is simply titled 'Everything Besides' lol

Any idea the SATT working title? The B Sides, quite a lot, 13 methinks, make a darn fine album on their own.
Old 10-04-2015, 17:11
I am purity, they call me perverted

PS Automatik, what are you tracklistings for splitting KYE into two thematic albums?
Old 10-04-2015, 17:20
Doors slowly closing

I think these working titles are almost entirely terrible compared to what we got.

I think Solidarity/Door to the River is the only one /are the only ones that I would have liked as much as the final title.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 10-04-2015, 18:26
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrelandCalling4 View Post
Any idea the SATT working title? The B Sides, quite a lot, 13 methinks, make a darn fine album on their own.
I agree. No, I still haven't found anything at all out about the SATT working title, alas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrelandCalling4 View Post
PS Automatik, what are you tracklistings for splitting KYE into two thematic albums?
You can find my full track listings for the two proposed albums here: http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/for...33#post2638433 - would be very interested to get your views.
Old 11-04-2015, 14:08
I live to fall asleep

If 'Goodbye Suicide' was a working title for Lifeblood, does that mean the song itself nearly went onto the album? I'd guess so since Zeitgeist came out afterwards. Would have been interesting to see how different it could have become had it been a Manics track.