Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-01-2014, 22:14
Born to end

Exclamation Contributors needed for potential BBC Wales/BBC Four documentar on MSP and their fans

After a successful initial pitch, a friend of mine has been given the go ahead to develop a treatment for a potential BBC Wales/BBC Four documentary that will look at the Manic Street Preachers through their fans. He wants to explore parts of the fan culture and what impact the band's music and identity had on their fans and culture more generally. He's mainly focusing on the 90's.

He's keen to speak to people who were at gigs pre-1995 (and who can recollect those gigs), particularly The Astoria in 1994. He'd also like to speak to the people who helped set up this forum or contribute to it regularly, and people who were behind any of the bands fanzines back in the day.

If you want to get in touch his email address is sebcooke55@googlemail.com
Old 29-01-2014, 22:26
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
"No, I didn't see them before 1995".
"No, I don't really have any fanzines."
"No, you might be in a legal quagmire if you ask my opinions on what happened."

Aside from that though... emailed a response.

EDIT: But I did pass the email onto an ex who did see them before 1995 (And got me into them) so if she gets in, I'll be happy.

Last edited by Son of Stopped; 29-01-2014 at 22:33.
Old 30-01-2014, 14:59
A self-made vacuum

Awww, if only I had anything to contribute! Would love to see faces from here that I recognise on there though.

Camden Roundhouse 29/05/09 - Brixton Academy 22/01/11 - Hard Rock Cafe London 02/02/11 - O2 Arena 17/12/11 - BBC Radio 2 Festival in a Day 08/09/13 - Shepards Bush Empire 24/09/13 - Brighton Centre 09/04/14 - Brixton Academy 11/04/14 - Rough Trade East 08/07/2014 - Camden Roundhouse 17/12/14 - Cardiff Castle 05/06/15 - Grosse Freiheit 36 Hamburg 26/04/16 - Swansea Liberty Stadium 28/05/16 - Victorious Festival Portsmouth 27/08/16 - London Southbank Centre 19/06/18
Old 30-01-2014, 15:09
Winterlover

There are some young fans on here though that probably weren't even born when Generation Terrorists came out. I'd be quite interested to see in the documentary how a band like the Manics can still continue to inspire devotion in young music fans, as well as the people who were at the Astoria gigs, or before.

I was at Manic Millenium if this helps? There were a few others there mind!

Last edited by allisvanity; 30-01-2014 at 15:21. Reason: I can't spell for shit.
Old 30-01-2014, 15:57
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
There are some young fans on here though that probably weren't even born when Generation Terrorists came out. I'd be quite interested to see in the documentary how a band like the Manics can still continue to inspire devotion in young music fans, as well as the people who were at the Astoria gigs, or before.

I was around then but not aware of them , more than I was aware of any band at that time, I'd be interested in your point plus how they manage to gain/maintain older fans who missed out on the early days . They're a very addictive band if you "get it". Husband can take or leave them .
Old 30-01-2014, 17:20
Administrator

It's probably a little late in the day of the fandom for that documentary, but hopefully you can find a few fans still around.

Perhaps the BBC should offer to fund No Manifesto!
Old 30-01-2014, 17:46
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Thank you! That was the elephant in the room I didn't want to mention!
Old 30-01-2014, 21:35
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
There are some young fans on here though that probably weren't even born when Generation Terrorists came out.
*waves* I would also be interested in finding out about their younger fans, how people got there. I heard about them when they received the Godlike Genius award but if I hadn't I doubt I'd be into them now. They kind of kick started my interest in musicians outside of Kerrang!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
It's probably a little late in the day of the fandom for that documentary, but hopefully you can find a few fans still around.

Yes! Saw it back in 08/09 and it was great then. I've given up all hope of ever seeing a release.
Old 31-01-2014, 02:13
I live to fall asleep

I want to see No Manifesto But yeah it'd be cool to see younger fans in there too like mentioned earlier on to show the Manics wide fan base.
Old 31-01-2014, 08:12
I am purity, they call me perverted

I have sent this Seb chap a message and just maybe I can help him as I went to plenty of gigs before 95 but they were heavy drinking days for me back then so it`s a bit blurrey !!! My 1st gig stands out the most !!!!!
Old 31-01-2014, 20:58
I am purity, they call me perverted

Definitely count as a 'young fan' I know but I've emailed him anyway. Exciting stuff.
Old 31-01-2014, 21:09
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-groovey-morning-fine View Post
Definitely count as a 'young fan' I know but I've emailed him anyway. Exciting stuff.
Gosh, you're like as young as I used to be once.
Old 31-01-2014, 21:22
Builder of routine

Watch what you say in this thread! His account is "awaiting activation" as he said in his email. Hi! (If you are reading this)
Old 31-01-2014, 21:29
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Watch what you say in this thread! His account is "awaiting activation" as he said in his email. Hi! (If you are reading this)
What? the person who is doing the doc? If so, we're a bunch of cunts who'd set fire to your grannies house and kick your cat. Beware
Old 01-02-2014, 14:36
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:

I was born in 1989, it was a year after Suicide Alley.
I became aware of them when Tolerate came out, but I knew immediately the whole story of the band's history because my elder brother let me know. I liked the song back then, but I was too young to care that much. Plus, I was influenced by my elder siblings. But it hadn't taken too long, however, for me to fall in love with the Manics' stuff. It all started with Generation Terrorist back in the early 2000, when I was about 11 year-old. And I never stopped liking them since then.

Soooooooooooooo...........
Yep! I think your idea is better too. There's too much footage on the Manics' past glories, it would be more interesting to do an analyses of that kind.